Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 23:26   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Well Done Mrs Gillen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
it's got nothing to do with race.. or religion... most of the women that choose to wear a veil do so by thier own choice and probley think nothing of it..but it's just not an acceptable practice here...if anyone walked around with a mask on they would soon be pulled up and be questioned.
if i can remember rightly, many, many years ago the "Sikhs" objected to wearing a crash helmet on motor cycles when helmets became law, they used religion as the reason, one or two i think got done fer refusing, but it seemed to die a death after that. different issue i know, but same principle to me, that was the Law, this is the School Rules. it may be acceptable in other countries but thats theres n their right, i would not dream of arguing about someone wearing a veil in their homeland if thats acceptable.
Old 06-04-2009, 00:58   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
, i would not dream of arguing about someone wearing a veil in their homeland if thats acceptable.
Did I not see it mentioned somewhere that she (the mother) also went to this school for her education .....so I guess the UK is her homeland
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:34   #33
God Member

Am I the only one that thinks this is all getting boring?...mountians out of mole hills springs to mind....yes well done Mrs Gillen you did the right thing.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:12   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Do you have some a link to back that up? When I read the entry details for schools before my son went last year I did not remember seeing that. In fact only children whos parents attended church weekly got a place at St Chris's last year. The only exception might be if the child has special needs that only that school can cater for. I doubt that would be the case here though.

so in actual fact Neil, what you are saying is....all the asian children who go to 'church run' schools have special needs because they obviously dont go to C of E/catholic churches every sunday

you do talk bollox at times
Old 06-04-2009, 08:59   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Do you have some a link to back that up? When I read the entry details for schools before my son went last year I did not remember seeing that. In fact only children whos parents attended church weekly got a place at St Chris's last year. The only exception might be if the child has special needs that only that school can cater for. I doubt that would be the case here though.

they now have to take a certain number of non catholics, doesnt matter what religion they are catholics that go to church are top of the admissions lists, then catholics that dont, then children in care, then non catholics

but there are asian catholics (ive always heard them refered to as bengalis) so their colour doesnt show their religion, neither does the clothes they wear as that can be culture and not religion.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:05   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Am I the only one that thinks this is all getting boring?...mountians out of mole hills springs to mind....yes well done Mrs Gillen you did the right thing.
Your spot on Mancie, its the woman who's turned it into a racist issue, even then veil or no veil she didn't want to be interviewed, some one spoke on her behalf, I wonder why that was as we couldn't tell who she was anyway
Old 06-04-2009, 09:08   #37
Senior Member+

Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Primary School - Admissions Policy

Quote:
Baptised Roman Catholic children resident in the Parish of Sacred Heart, Colne, with a brother or sister currently in school.
Baptised Roman Catholic children resident in the Parish of Sacred Heart, Colne.
Baptised Roman Catholic children with a brother or sister currently in school.
Other baptised Roman Catholic children.

Children of the Roman Catholic Faith attending non-Roman Catholic Schools will also be considered for admission.

Applications may also be received from parents of non-Catholic children.
hmmmm.... it misses out the children in care bit tho and i know they take non catholics tho cos i used to work there

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:34   #38
Resting in Peace

My grandaughter goes to a strong Catholic college in Leeds and has a Muslim friend there, they did say do take non Catholics on her application, was a small percentage .. sorry, can't remember the exact details.

As to this particular issue ... agree with all comments above, and the Telegraph comments, don't think this muslim lady is on a winning wicket here at all. Silly woman, I think they do it too just to cause controversy.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:08   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum
but there are asian catholics (ive always heard them refered to as bengalis)

And here's me thinking Bengalis were just people from Bengal.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..