Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-07-2011, 20:27   #106
God Member

Re: Wetherspoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
John, does that in some way excuse him from the normal courtesies?
It seems to be a pretty poor excuse.
I suppose he would much rather the building in the centre of our town, be left to rot. As if we do not have enough eyesores in our town.
He has nothing good to say about the place, and even less to say about the people who live here.
He is the epitome of a carmudgeon.

Isn't that just a bit sad?
I agree...and what's more Tealeaf should be taken out and publicly flogged!.. the mere fact that this man lives in Church/Wapping is justification in itself.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-07-2011, 20:29   #107
God Member

Quote:
He is the epitome of a carmudgeon.
Those are long words for you, Margaret. How many hours did you spend going through your dictionary and thesaurus to come up with that lot? It's time that would have been better utilised feeding your cat.

Go on - do it now and give us all some peace.

Me-ow, Me-ow,
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 20:37   #108
Beacon of light

Are they really Tealeaf? What is the matter, do you think that because we live north of Watford we have no education?
And can you tell me who died and made you King?

Second thoughts...don't bother!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 20:53   #109
Beacon of light

Anyway which of those (allegedly) long words didn't you understand?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 21:06   #110
God Member

Quote:
Are they really Tealeaf? What is the matter, do you think that because we live north of Watford we have no education?
And can you tell me who died and made you King?

Second thoughts...don't bother!
Exactly what are you waffling on about now?

This thread is about the impact that a retail branch of Wetherspoons Plc will have upon the economic and social wellbeing of the good people of Accrington.

There are those - such as some in Accy - who suffer from the delusion that the effect will be a positive one. But there are those - like me - who have spent time north and south of Watford and have seen what has happened when Wetherspoons make their ubiquitous presence felt. Like any other national retail chain operation, they are the cancer that destroys the unique identity of towns such as Accy.

You may wish to party today; but when local family owned coffee shops, tenanted pubs and such like pull down the shutters and we go further down that deep, downward economic spiral, then you will rue the day.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 22:20   #111
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Exactly what are you waffling on about now?

This thread is about the impact that a retail branch of Wetherspoons Plc will have upon the economic and social wellbeing of the good people of Accrington.

There are those - such as some in Accy - who suffer from the delusion that the effect will be a positive one. But there are those - like me - who have spent time north and south of Watford and have seen what has happened when Wetherspoons make their ubiquitous presence felt. Like any other national retail chain operation, they are the cancer that destroys the unique identity of towns such as Accy.

You may wish to party today; but when local family owned coffee shops, tenanted pubs and such like pull down the shutters and we go further down that deep, downward economic spiral, then you will rue the day.
Another wordy but inaccurate reply. The one in Preston completely revitalised the flagging end of Friargate and saved at least two pubs from closure because of the extra trade it generated. The people of Accrington should rise up in protest against their own of course, barricade the doors and pull down the shutters on this monstrosity to save the thriving metropolis that it has become from any encroaching capitalists.

Get back to your oh-so-rare brews of Taylor's Landlord and Jenning's Cumberland Ale, beers which are found so often round here as to be uninteresting to any ale seeker.

One can't help but feel that you've gone native down south.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 22:28   #112
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Well sorry Ken, whilst n improvement on the building as it was, i cannot see it re-vitalizing accy, whilst we were down town this dinner ish, most of the cafes were well quiet, in fact we went in our usual one n there was 2 people in around 12-50, n a trader had just told us, seems a lot of people about today,also seemed a lot less in the calder this lunchtime as we passed, whilst wetherspoons may suit a good many people, doubt if it will suit other traders.
Old 22-07-2011, 22:33   #113
God Member

Those 8,149 coeliac residents of Hyndburn are partaking of their gluten free menu

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 22:45   #114
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well sorry Ken, whilst n improvement on the building as it was, i cannot see it re-vitalizing accy, whilst we were down town this dinner ish, most of the cafes were well quiet, in fact we went in our usual one n there was 2 people in around 12-50, n a trader had just told us, seems a lot of people about today,also seemed a lot less in the calder this lunchtime as we passed, whilst wetherspoons may suit a good many people, doubt if it will suit other traders.
There's no doubt that Wetherspoons put pressure on cafe's more than pubs.. any good cafe will serve up a better breakfast than Wetherspoons but some folk would rather eat in what they think are better surroundings.. from past experience I'd say the local cafes will suffer for a couple of months but soon as the locals realise they are likely getting reheated bacon and such at the Spoons they will go back to thier old haunts.
Local cafe's and pubs serving grub cannot compete with Wetherspoons on prices but can compete with quality.. but I do like a Spooners .

Last edited by Mancie; 22-07-2011 at 22:49.
Old 22-07-2011, 22:55   #115
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Oh I'd never go that far Cashy, I was just using the Preston one as an example of something which has helped other pubs in the area. Once the initial interest has died down then other businesses should recover, just as they do everywhere else when something new opens. I just think that it is good for Accrington on the whole to have attracted a big name, the more the better really.

However, there will be people will go on about the damage to small businesses and then in the same breath complain about the lack of big name shops but it can't work both ways.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 23:01   #116
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Oh I'd never go that far Cashy, I was just using the Preston one as an example of something which has helped other pubs in the area. Once the initial interest has died down then other businesses should recover, just as they do everywhere else when something new opens. I just think that it is good for Accrington on the whole to have attracted a big name, the more the better really. Hope yer right Ken.

However, there will be people will go on about the damage to small businesses and then in the same breath complain about the lack of big name shops but it can't work both ways.
Thats pretty irrelevant to me, theres a lack of smaller retailers in accy these days, never mind big name shops. n to my mind the new market hall, whist looks ok,is pretty much a disaster imho.
Old 22-07-2011, 23:01   #117
Resting in Peace

Myself, can never understand why people go out for breakfast

For me, fag and a brew, then have to feed the night starvation there and then, not wait to get into town before I eat. Hate deals of bed/breakfast in hotels where you have to go in the restaurant to eat .. could be an hour before I was showered and dressed and, by then, couldn't be bothered. Always ordered in my room if available .. good alarm call too.

Suppose old habits die hard, where there was always a breakfast waiting for me as a child when I got up (no, not the brew and fag .. LOL).
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 23:03   #118
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

For me, fag and a brew, then have to feed the night starvation there and then, not wait to get into town LOL).
i'm wi you 100% on that Kate.
Old 22-07-2011, 23:05   #119
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

For me, fag and a brew, then have to feed the night starvation there and then, not wait to get into town before I eat. Hate deals of bed/breakfast in hotels where you have to go in the restaurant to eat .. could be an hour before I was showered and dressed and, by then, couldn't be bothered. Always ordered in my room if available .. good alarm call too.

Suppose old habits die hard, where there was always a breakfast waiting for me as a child when I got up (no, not the brew and fag .. LOL).
Yeah but you are just pure lazy..some of us get up before teatime!
Old 22-07-2011, 23:08   #120
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Yeah but you are just pure lazy..some of us get up before teatime!
Cheeky sprogg. Not even rising to that one.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..