Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2005, 12:19   #1
Senior Member+

what car mechanic do u use??

my car is in need of some DIY i know what the prob is but dont have the resources to fix it myself...

so what garage do u take ur car to? - nothing too expensive but i dont want someone who fixes one thing but leaves another which is hte case with alot of these ppl
Old 19-08-2005, 12:24   #2
land of hope and glory

Re: what car mechanic do u use??

belgarth garage just off queens road west is good and pretty resonable ! a guy called colin runs it.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 12:28   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

been taking mine to hyndburn autos for nearly 30 years its across from greyhound ford on whalley road. a guy called pat duffy runs it and pete is the mechanic,never had cause to complain,
Old 19-08-2005, 13:27   #4
God Member

Grange lane for me. Does my Gas conversions as well.

Simon runs the place.

Mani what do you mean re fix one thing leave another? A lot of people will complain if they go fixing everything they think needs doingand then present a bill for it. You should tell them exactly what you want them to do. If you want them to fix everything then fair enough but expect a bill comensurate with what work has been done
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 13:47   #5
Senior Member+

enti - no i mean fix one thing and know another thing needs fixing but not telling u

i had an cosworth about 6-12 months ago and it was a clapper but its like i took it in for a general service and goes if anything else needs replacing - lemme know.

so i collects it and two days later the starter motor went - oh yeah we thought that mite b close to going...
Old 19-08-2005, 14:24   #6
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Grange lane for me. Does my Gas conversions as well.

Simon runs the place.

Mani what do you mean re fix one thing leave another? A lot of people will complain if they go fixing everything they think needs doingand then present a bill for it. You should tell them exactly what you want them to do. If you want them to fix everything then fair enough but expect a bill comensurate with what work has been done
how little is a gas conversion entwisi?
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 14:32   #7

Hi, what is your car & what is the problem?
Bordercollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2005, 09:00   #8
mez
God Member

when i take my car to the garage i tell him "i think this has gone & can you check for such a thing& ring me first" he then checks the car......... rings me tell me what needs doing & how much it will cost (roughly) & i tell him what i want doing that day, then take the car back for the rest of work doing ( if its not dangerous), i need my car daily so its the way me & the mechanic work..................... it works for me.
Old 20-08-2005, 23:16   #9

Mick Entwistle at Hyndburn vehicle services, on factory bottoms, next door to Sullys tyres. Great guy, fair prices, does what is needed & will advise on anything else if you ask him to check. He is also a rally support engineer for one of the local Blackburn rally teams. any mechanic that can sort a gearbox out in the middle of a forest will do for me when he is back in his own garage with even more gear. Colin at Belgarth is good too but wont suffer fools so be explicit as to what you need. Mechanics are not phsycic you know & any moving component can fail at a moment so is not nessesarily due to mechanics missing something.
Old 21-08-2005, 00:44   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
belgarth garage just off queens road west is good and pretty resonable ! a guy called colin runs it.
Colin Trezise at Belgarth Garage is one of the best. I know I worked with him before he started his own garage.

Last edited by jpest1; 21-08-2005 at 00:46. Reason: typo
jpest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2005, 01:10   #11

If you want someone to come to you, at work,rest or play! pm me and I will give you my sons number. He has just left his last job because the boss was ripping customers off.
jpest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2005, 06:34   #12

Try Autofix, on Argyle Street, behind Aldi - run by Ian - always done my cars, gives top quality service, MOT's etc - only does what needs to be done, if theres a cheaper way i.e you nip to scrapyard and get this little component and fit it yourself to save cash - then he'll do it that way too

His prices are very good - give him a ring & see
mickmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2005, 19:07   #13
Senior Member+

the prob is wiht my avensis - the key barrel is playing up - basically u have to fidget with it pushing it upwards to make some sort of connection before the car comes on...

any idea how much that wud cost to replace??

i've booked an appt with toyota in blackburn but if i can get a guy to fix it that comes recommended then fair do
Old 22-08-2005, 20:10   #14
God Member

You'll find it a lot cheaper at an independant garage than a main dealers. Saying that it all depends if the key/lock are chipped, if they are it might have to be done through a main dealer.
Only a guess on price but I would say about £30 - £40 for a new barrel but this type of thing can take you by surprise sometimes! they know how to charge for things that you can't do without.
Try Colin at Belgarth on 01254 397426

Edit - just had a look round the web and found someone who had this problem and Toyota charged him £112 to fit a new lock

www.ubuntu.com

Last edited by K.S.H; 22-08-2005 at 20:18.
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2005, 12:11   #15
Senior Member+

i've booked it in at belgarth - takin it in on monday

how long does it take to replace a ignition barrel

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..