Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-08-2005, 15:34   #1
Give, give, give member

What did you want to be?

What did you want to be when you were a child, did any of us become what we said we'd be from an early age?

The first thing I remember saying that I wanted to be was a missionary. I'd watched the film 'The Inn of the Sixth Happiness' with Ingrid Bergman. It seemed to be an exciting and worth while job to lead children through the Chinese mountains away from the bad soldiers.

Needless to say the only exciting thing I ever did was in a Chinese take away, and I'd better not mention that!

By the age of ten I realised I wanted to work in fashion and thats what I did.

My eight year old neice says she wants to be a teacher or a tv presenter, and my six year old nephew says he wants to make babies or play for Burnley F.C. Good luck kids.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-08-2005, 15:50   #2
God Member

Re: What did you want to be?

I wanted to be a Nurse...........so yes maybe I am half way there......

The other thing I wanted to do was be a astronomer, which took my fancy for a while, but it doesn't interest me now.
slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005, 15:58   #3
Give, give, give member

Slinks you did realise your dream then because you do nurse and care for people.

Although I worked in fashion, I was making shirts for people with more money than sense, and not the new Yves St. Laurent I imagined at ten years old I was going to be.

Old 25-08-2005, 16:19   #4
God Member

OMG what a good thread Rind!

OK I always wanted to be in the RAF or the army untill I was told at about 13 year old it weren't ever gonna happen ............ gutted was an understatement and I know that if life had dealt me a different set of cards that's were Iwould be today !!

Then I wanted to be an air stwerdess untill I had that dream shattered when I was told I was to short and a minger lol!

Then I thought I just wanted to live and work out in Spain not really caring what I did just as long as I lived abroad ........... dream shattered when I had kids instead!

soooo ...... now I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up but who cares, in the words of the Baz Luhrman Sunscreen song .......... "Don't feel guilty if you don't know what to do with your life...the most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still don't".
Old 25-08-2005, 17:32   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I wanted to be a princess.... Isn't that what every 3 year old girl wants??

Unfortunately the princess thing didn't pan out and by the age of 6 I wanted to be a dancer. There was only one problem..........I lacked the ability, with a terrible sense of timing, no grace and chubby elephantine legs, I didn't stand a chance.

By the age of 12 I realised that I was good at biology and chemistry but they were too boring to do anything with. I nursed a secret ambition to make it onto the Wimbledon circuit but my tennis was short of the mark (way short).

I was good at drama and debating at school and by the age of 14 I wondered if there might be anything there, but never followed it up as I hate rejection.

At 15 I was getting rather good at skiing and was offered the opportunity to go back to Italy after leaving school to take my advanced award and train as an instructor. Unfortunately I had left school by then and my dad had suggested that I stop dreaming and get a proper job.

At 19 I started nursing and loved it. It was never my intention to stay long in the NHS. Cruise ships and Down Under were calling but I reckoned I would stand more of a chance of a decent job with a second qualification. Midwifery was the obvious choice at the time, so I went for it. 2 qualifications and a mortgage later my mate who was going to come Down Under with me got married and I didn't want to go alone (so I'm glad I didn't tell anyone I was thinking of it). They might have thought I was a wuss.

I can't believe I have been in the NHS for 18 years. My ultimate ambition is to earn loads of money for doing as little as possible.

So if anyone has a vacancy for a bone idle princess who can't dance or play tennis........ Send me a pm and I'll send you my cv.....

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005, 17:47   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
OMG what a good thread Rind!

OK I always wanted to be in the RAF or the army untill I was told at about 13 year old it weren't ever gonna happen ............ gutted was an understatement and I know that if life had dealt me a different set of cards that's were Iwould be today !!

Then I wanted to be an air stwerdess untill I had that dream shattered when I was told I was to short and a minger lol!

Then I thought I just wanted to live and work out in Spain not really caring what I did just as long as I lived abroad ........... dream shattered when I had kids instead!

soooo ...... now I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up but who cares, in the words of the Baz Luhrman Sunscreen song .......... "Don't feel guilty if you don't know what to do with your life...the most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still don't".
I'd have thought you'd have put Princess as well, like Lettie, and that you have achieved your dream job 'caus you are one now.
You're only a whipper snapper anyway, and with the exams you are doing the world's your oyster. Even though you are a Mum as well, there's still a great career ahead of you Miss Freud.

I think the reason you didn't become an air hostess wasn't because you are a minger, which you certainly are not, but more likely that they may have thought you would open the cabin doors mid flight to make people laugh.

Last edited by garinda; 25-08-2005 at 17:49.
Old 25-08-2005, 18:02   #7
land of hope and glory

I wanted to be retired until i was 65 then get a job as a lollypop man!
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005, 19:05   #8
Passed away 25-11-09

I wanted to be a vet 'til I realised you had to be good at science subjects and that I was definitely more an Arts student than a scientist.
Old 25-08-2005, 19:11   #9
g78

I remember when I was about 4 or 5 I wanted to be a Milk Man..... as you can see I always aimed high.
Old 25-08-2005, 19:12   #10

Filthy rich international playboy. My God what a letdown.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005, 19:15   #11
God Member

I cant remember what I wanted to be when I was really little, but as I got older I wanted to work with horses, then I wanted to become Quincy, I spent many an hour dissecting flies, spiders anything that I could find under my microscope, I never became Quincy, I'm still fascinated by forensic pathology but have never done anything about it, instead I found myself working in a chemist and became interested in pharmacy, I studied pharmaceutical science and now work as a technician in hospital pharmacy.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005, 19:15   #12
God Member

I can't believe no one has said Lumberjack....

Or am I the only Monty Python Fan

Last edited by KIPAX; 25-08-2005 at 19:16. Reason: eh?
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005, 19:24   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
I can't believe no one has said Lumberjack....

Or am I the only Monty Python Fan
I love Monty Python Kipax but the thought would never have occurred to me!
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005, 19:34   #14
God Member

Its the famouse line as he works up to the start of the song ......I never wanted to do this.. I always wanted to be.... To be .... A LUMBERJACK!

My wierd SOH I guess
Old 25-08-2005, 19:38   #15
Beacon of light

I always wanted to be a Nurse.......and somewhere my mother has a picture of me in her cut down wartime uniform.......I think I might have been about 3 at the time.
It wasn't all plain sailing though and I didn't get the chance to realise my ambition until I was married and my daughter was going to school.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..