Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2005, 09:16   #1
Senior Member+

Smile What Do You Spend ££££ On Food At Xmas.

Do you go overboard and go right into the nitty gritty of buying things you wouldnt normally do. Do you like to get out the cheese board and display at least 8 different types of cheeses to your guest ? Do you buy those nuts in the hard-shell only to find you cant find the nut-cracker you put away last year. Does your satsumas start to go soft because you bought to many and the kids are starting to turn orange ! Do you try to buy the biggest turkey only to find its too big for the oven so you have to give it a good pasting and break its limbs before you find out it will take 2 days to cook and 7 days to defrost !
Do you buy all the different types of pickles, only to find you need to find a chemist open on Christmas day night to buy some Rennies ?
Do you buy large amout of beers and wines only to realise you have more in stock than the local pub ?

So just how much do you spend on food at christmas. ? What do you buy but only at christmas, and what and how much of it do you tend to throw away ?
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-11-2005, 09:40   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: What Do You Spend ££££ On Food At Xmas.

I spend no more at Christmas than I do in a normal week. I always work Xmas day so I don't have guests, but do get invited to my Dad's or Sister's every year and I eat there. I tend to work Boxing Day too and have the New Year off. It's great......I haven't done a Christmas dinner since 1987..

God Bless Work......

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:13   #3
God Member

Been at work on christmas day for several years now so have never bothered. I have my daughter on boxing day so do a liitle christmas meal then but not with all the trimmings as they would be wasted. Usually have a simple tea and a few beers as it is just another day to me though I do the little meal on boxing day which I suppose is my christmas day.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:36   #4

I suspect Phil may try to buy lots of things that we don't need, but I shall try to stop him as much as I can (bah humbug)!.

The only thing I tend to buy at Xmas that I don't at any other time of the year is mulled wine, it's gorge.........
Old 08-11-2005, 11:40   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah
I suspect Phil may try to buy lots of things that we don't need, but I shall try to stop him as much as I can (bah humbug)!.

The only thing I tend to buy at Xmas that I don't at any other time of the year is mulled wine, it's gorge.........
Thats a guys perogative to buy buy buy equal rightds now no more only women on spending spree's.

Might go mad myself this year on the beer front but only because of the new year celebrations.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 08-11-2005, 12:20   #6

Don't do Xmas dinner or tea as we are out. For Boxing day I tend to buy snack foods that I wouldn't normally buy, which at the moment are 3 for a fiver. I also buy a box of biscuits & a couple of gateux. Other than that it's a normal shop.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 12:30   #7
Resting in peace

Yup, okay, I admit it - I buy enough for an army. I still have beer left from last Christmas! And as for food - I ended up feeding most of a turkey to next door's dog. I buy all sorts of daft things, chocolates, nuts (still have some of those left too, I'd better throw them out). I have the seige mentality - you never know when you'll get snowed up, or have a million relatives descend, so you have to have enough for everyone! I reckon that Christmas is a time for going a bit mad, scoffing like nobody's business, and feeding the five thousand. Better top up the Asda card, then.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 12:56   #8
Member.

I always end up going over the top. Beer and wine take up a large part of the budget because I believe if someone turns up on your door step at Christmas it a courtesy to offer them a drink before you get rid of them. “I’m not a Social type” but a little contact doesn’t hurt. Sweets, Specials and chocolate will take up another good portion and then the food. I don’t like Turkey myself but I always cook it for everyone else to enjoy. I also have a cooked Ham and a Pork joint for choice and sometimes a salmon. All the vegetables and a large selection of fruits complete shopping list. I usually start buying mid December at start on the drink and sweeties immediately which means that thing end up being replaced before Christmas. Whatever I try to do to control spending it doesn’t work and I’m still eating sweets and chocolate in March and I still have some of last years spirits left.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 08-11-2005 at 13:35.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 14:12   #9
white rabbits

i love to go mad at xmas ,,,we usualy have enough food to feed an army even in february...i like to spend £s and £s in m&s on expensive food i would never normaly dream of buying (HOW MUCH)gulp ,much cheaper in tesco but nowhere near as nice
Old 08-11-2005, 14:29   #10
Senior Member+

If you see somebody walking around asda a few days before xmas with a small turkey and some veg ... thats me ! .. i might even stretch to a gateux and a bit of cheese !
Old 08-11-2005, 14:45   #11
God Member

Jimmy what about the wine or beer?

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 08-11-2005, 16:46   #12
Senior Member+

Cant drink spuggie as im on between 150mg-250mg Tramadol daily.
Old 08-11-2005, 16:53   #13
God Member

Well at least there is no hangover as well. And booze can be bad for you.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 08-11-2005, 16:59   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
. And booze can be bad for you.
never have i heard such drivel you should be ashamed of yourself

edit:

oops i didnt realise you were refering to taking booze with tablets
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 17:29   #15
Resting in Peace

A little guilty of this, however, always found Christmas Day a nightmare .. hate cooking and don't do it very well... now no castles, lego to put together as well as doing the turkey .. found that our local Indian Restaurant is great on Christmas day. Just me, son and brother (daughter hates Injun') good food and service and congenial surroundings. Great. Booze never gets wasted, but nuts, biscuits for cheese, yes left over crawling out of door 6 months on.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..