Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-12-2009, 08:32   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: What is going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Again it depends on the crime mate, some they can't commit to sessions etc.
I maybe wrong cashy but I think that any accused person can still elect trial by jury, even for the most trivial crime, so in these cases surely that sentence can also be referred to crown court
Old 22-12-2009, 17:26   #32
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I don't see how the odd smack would have prevented this crime.. and I don't see bringing back the "birch" as a punishment that would deter anyone from sexual crimes..you are talking crap.
You are plainly living in cloud cuckoo land on this one, Mancie. 'An eye for an eye' and 'A tooth for a tooth' are biblical quotations which, based upon current standards of behaviour, are clearly overlooked when meting out justice. My sympathies lie with the victim, not the perpetrator and, before you ask, yes, I have been a victim of a hammer attack myself - and seen the perpetrator treated with the politically correct version of kid-gloves that left me reeling in disbelief.

Justice my a**e!
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 18:35   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I maybe wrong cashy but I think that any accused person can still elect trial by jury, even for the most trivial crime, so in these cases surely that sentence can also be referred to crown court
Unless the Law has changed mate that was never the case, as far as i'm aware.
Old 22-12-2009, 18:46   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I don't see how the odd smack would have prevented this crime.. and I don't see bringing back the "birch" as a punishment that would deter anyone from sexual crimes..you are talking crap.
Agree with this ... a whole crock full of crap.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 21:41   #35
God Member

Another thing just crossed my mind ... things do cross my mind when I am happily destroying brain cells .... all this bull about corporal and capital punishment, eye for an eye, "make the punishment fit the crime"; and using the term "human rights" as a pejorative .... Seems like thousands of your young men and women are fighting in Afghanistan in order to bring to the Afghanis those human rights some of you hold in such low esteem. (There's a bunch of Canucks there too, trying to do the same thing) Some people's views on flogging etc. seem to be more in tune with the Taliban than with citizens of a proud democracy, one which is a model for the free world. So let's hear it for cutting off the hands of thieves.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 22:37   #36
God Member

re. use of the Birch .......seem to remember the Isle of Man had the birch for years after it was banned in the rest of the UK and think everyone who ever visited on holiday during the traditional wakes weeks will tell there was never much trouble , not even from the Glasgow 'gangs" who had a bit of a fearsome reputation , just the knowledge that it was on the books and WOULD be used was enough to keep most folks in line. No idea what specific crimes it covered but I'm thinking hooliganism and general social disruption were included .

intersting article CORPORAL PUNISHMENT: BIRCHING IN THE ISLE OF MAN: legal position 1972

Last edited by steeljack; 22-12-2009 at 22:44. Reason: addendum
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 23:04   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
re. use of the Birch .......seem to remember the Isle of Man had the birch for years after it was banned in the rest of the UK and think everyone who ever visited on holiday during the traditional wakes weeks will tell there was never much trouble , not even from the Glasgow 'gangs" who had a bit of a fearsome reputation , just the knowledge that it was on the books and WOULD be used was enough to keep most folks in line. No idea what specific crimes it covered but I'm thinking hooliganism and general social disruption were included .

intersting article CORPORAL PUNISHMENT: BIRCHING IN THE ISLE OF MAN: legal position 1972
it was fer such things was reason i never went near the place, even when mates went fer hols one year.
Old 23-12-2009, 08:51   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
it was fer such things was reason i never went near the place, even when mates went fer hols one year.
See cashy it put the fear of god in you mate just thinking about it
Old 23-12-2009, 18:14   #39
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Another thing just crossed my mind ... things do cross my mind when I am happily destroying brain cells .... all this bull about corporal and capital punishment, eye for an eye, "make the punishment fit the crime"; and using the term "human rights" as a pejorative .... Seems like thousands of your young men and women are fighting in Afghanistan in order to bring to the Afghanis those human rights some of you hold in such low esteem. (There's a bunch of Canucks there too, trying to do the same thing) Some people's views on flogging etc. seem to be more in tune with the Taliban than with citizens of a proud democracy, one which is a model for the free world. So let's hear it for cutting off the hands of thieves.
You seem to be overlooking the fact that under 'New Labour' we no longer live in a true democracy. B'Liar saw to that when he changed the political boundaries in order to give his party electoral advantage over anyone opposed to his views - and look at the predicament that we are now faced with as a result of the 'Red Flag Flyer's' excuciating policies!
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 21:03   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
See cashy it put the fear of god in you mate just thinking about it
it sure as hell did,once met a guy that had been, not a pretty site.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..