Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2004, 09:00   #1

Whats The Worst Job You Have Had

The worst job i had was working at Stirling Dog Foods working loads of overtime saturdays and sundays for about 26pence an hour. You had to work hard for that it was the wuffest job i have ever had but luck has it you could always find different enployment in the afternoon in them days.

The best job i ever had was working as assistant co-ordinator at The Stables homeless shelter Accrington. helping young homeless people male and female aged between 16 and 25 learning them life skills.
bobthedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-12-2004, 19:01   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Whats The Worst Job You Have Had

The worst job I ever had was in accounts office......no good at maths see......don't quite know how I got the job in the first place.......must have blagged a lot..... though it wasn't called that back in 196whatever.
I have had two really good jobs...... both very hard, one as a jacquard weaver and the last one as a nurse.....loved em both.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 19:02   #3
Beacon of light

When I said good.....I should have said satisfying, because neither was particularly well paid.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 23:37   #4
Always EVIL within us

The worst job?......selling life insurance! I was told to look through the local obituaries and find phone numbers to call! I walked out!!!!
Old 12-12-2004, 12:06   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

The worst job I had was at Cocker Chemicals when I was about 17. I worked in the offices and found it completely boring. The place was always cold, it stank and the assistant manager was a total creep who made everyone's life a misery. Best thing I did was going into nursing then midwifery. The job is never boring and you meet loads of people. It's not a job for people who want to earn stacks of cash for sitting on their ar$es (although I could name a few that do as little as possible). It's damned hard work but can be very rewarding in ways other than financial.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 13:06   #6

The worst thing that I had to do was not actually the job but something that had to be done because of the job. I had to work in a city morgue for a week. During this period an undertaker had come in and wanted a particular body. I went to get it out of the cold room and couldn't find it at first mostly because they just had numbers on their big toe and all the trollies were full. I eventually found it between the legs of another body. It was a 5 or 6 year old boy. I had to pick him up in my arms and walk about 50 meters to the waiting undertaker. At that time I had young boys of my own and by the time I got there I was a complete and utter mess. My shirt front was wet with tears. I had simply broken up. I know it's not as bad as some things that humans experience, but it has haunted me all my life since.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2004, 08:15   #7

Working in a pizza/kebab shop. Not only do you go home stinking of garlic, you see enough that ensures you never eat at any place like that again.
Old 13-12-2004, 17:26   #8
Resting in peace

Years ago I had a holiday job at Star Confectionary in Blackburn. It put me off chocolate for years! The job that was the absolute pits was packing the jellies. You had a filthy 'orrible glove, caked in sugar inside and out, to grab the jellies and stuff them in the box for the next in line to weigh. You would never believe that sugar could be so hard - my poor paw was grazed and bleeding by the end of the first day. The glove was never washed, I'm not sure how many peoples hands were, and I haven't eaten jellies since.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 08:31   #9
Senior Member+

It's a close run thing between McDonalds and 7-11.

McDonalds I lasted for 3 months, mainly because I needed the money (even though I was being paid £1.82 per hour - the going rate for 17 year olds who had no other source of income and needed to pay the rent). 7-11 I got the sack after 2 weeks. He was looking for a reason to get rid of me, and sacked me for the reason that the till was some £10 up on one day and a very similar amount down the following day. I wasn't allowed to cash up, so it seemed a bit suss.

To top it all off, he had prepared me a letter for me to sign, which implied that I had acted dishonestly whilst being on the till!!!

I declined to sign it, and wandered up the road to the jobcentre to sign on!!!

Thank god those days are behind me

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..