Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-07-2008, 08:55   #31
God Member

Re: whats this all about. Full fat milk being taken from schools?

and MY child should suffer because of that?????????????

Nope its not their responsibility as onlyme has said.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-07-2008, 09:02   #32
Senior Member+

Food Standards Agency - Eat well, be well - Milk and dairy

Quote:
Children
Children should drink whole milk until they are at least two years old because they may not get as many calories as they need from semi-skimmed milk.

After the age of two, children can gradually move to semi-skimmed milk as a main drink, as long as they are eating well and getting plenty of calories and nutrients from a varied diet.

Don't give skimmed milk to children until they're at least five years old because it's too low in calories and contains only very small amounts of vitamin A, which children need.

Children between the ages of one and three need to have about 350mg of calcium a day. About 300ml full-fat milk (three fifths of a pint) would provide this.

Semi-skimmed or full fat milk?

Quote:
After the age of five, provided a child is eating well and having a good, varied diet there is no reason why you shouldn't introduce semi-skimmed milk.

Until the teenage years it really remains a matter of personal choice – full fat milk would also be fine unless a child is overweight in which case semi-skimmed would be preferable.
Now Nanny bans the hard stuff - Telegraph

Quote:
The only thing that whole milk hasn't got going for it is, of course, the fat. Fat content is relatively low - under four per cent for whole milk and 1.7 per cent for semi-skimmed milk - however it is saturated fat, which contributes to heart disease and fatness.

Paul Sacher, a child obesity expert at London's Great Ormond Street Hospital, broadly welcomes the ban, given that so many children are obese. But he adds: "The only children who may be affected are the five per cent who are under-weight and who need the extra fat. Unfortunately, they're a declining percentage of the population.
this quotes nothing to do with it but i wanted to add it anyway lol

Quote:
Advertising experts agree that some of the best British adverts have been about milk. The Drinka Pinta Milka Day adverts of the 1950s were so successful it even coined a new word, "pinta", for the dictionary. They were followed by the Accrington Stanley boys, the dancing milk bottles, Linford Christie racing a milk cart and Paul Whitehouse's "Ain't milk brilliant" commercials.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 09:25   #33
Resident Waffler

The problem is that these kids aren't getting 'a good, varied diet'. The flippin schools are providing junk food for school dinners but instead of addressing that they remove a perfectly valid source of nutrition!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 09:30   #34
Senior Member+

Depends on whether the school has healthy school status....if they do then their school dinner menus have to be healthy and they are regualrly checked

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 16-07-2008, 09:33   #35
Resident Waffler

I spent a day in a school and was given a choice of stodge, junk or gunk at mid day. I foolishly chose a portion of junk as it looked a little tastier than the stodge and the gunk but for the rest of the afternoon felt decidedly sluggish. Perhaps children would do better in lessons at school if the meals they were subjected to were a little more nutritious.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 12:41   #36
Senior Member+

aah.... thats something thats being talked about atm. School dinners were invented when some families were too poor to feed their children properly and the school dinner was the only meal they would get that day, THATS why they were stodgy.... obviously thats not needed now and NOONE is too poor to feed their children properly (they just choose not to)

Most schools are changing over to the healthy light meals.........

Old 16-07-2008, 12:55   #37
Senior Member+

deja-vu........... was sure i'd said that before.... and i have

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
School dinners were introduced in 1906 by Margaret McMillan.. the whole idea of them was to feed the poorer children that may not be getting decent food at home. they were designed to be filling and stodgy so that they would last the children all day.....because hungry children cannot learn.....

There you go, but of pointless information for you.... enjoy!!

Old 16-07-2008, 13:01   #38
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Whatever has happened to 'Free Will'?

If i want to give my kids full fat milk...I WILL
If i want to give my kids Mcdonalds...I WILL
If i want to smoke.....I WILL
If i want to binge drink....I WILL
If i want to run around naked...I WILL

ya understand what im getting at?

I sick and tired of this poxy goverment telling us what we can and cant eat, and can and cant do!, as long as i dont break the law and be a good citizen, WTF has it got to do with them what i eat and do....i only have two words to say to them.... : and its not permitted on here, only in the over 18's!!
Old 16-07-2008, 13:03   #39
Senior Member+

you wanna warn us before you get yer baps out please? esp if your gunna do it in town....................

Old 16-07-2008, 15:13   #40
God Member

As emamum has said, schools are only trying to do their bit to combat the obesity problem.

No-one is telling parents that they can't give their children whole milk at home but they will not be given it at school.

I can't believe that anybody's children on here are so malnourished that having less fat in their morning milk will have a detrimental effect.
Old 16-07-2008, 15:16   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I spent a day in a school and was given a choice of stodge, junk or gunk at mid day. I foolishly chose a portion of junk as it looked a little tastier than the stodge and the gunk but for the rest of the afternoon felt decidedly sluggish. Perhaps children would do better in lessons at school if the meals they were subjected to were a little more nutritious.
I can safely say that there is no junk, stodge or gunk on offer at our school at dinner time.

In fact, since Jamie Oliver MBE (marvellous man) got involved I thought junk/stodge/gunk had been banished from school menus.

Was it a primary school that you visited, Willow?
Old 16-07-2008, 15:20   #42
Senior Member+

also remember that all dairy products count towards the dairy intake....

It is recommended that you have 3 portions of dairy a day...... so if they are having full fat yoghurt, a piece of cheese and a glass of whole milk at home,the one they had a school isnt going to affect their diet.....

Old 16-07-2008, 15:27   #43

The point I am trying to make is that this is yet another thing schools should not have to do. They should concentrate on teaching, enough of us slate them for doing that wrong.

Also, if someone is lazy, and you do things for them, they go lazier. You have a lazy parent, who then knows that the school is going to provide healthy food/drink for their child, they wont bother at all.
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..