Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2008, 22:29   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: who represents Hyndburn 9Accrington and district) in Europe

Strange how so many people are afraid to be a part of a federal Europe, but look back so fondly when we were part of a much bigger organisation, indeed one that covered a quarter of the globe's land mass...the British Empire.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-01-2008, 22:33   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Strange how so many people are afraid to be a part of a federal Europe, but look back so fondly when we were part of a much bigger organisation, indeed one that covered a quarter of the globe's land mass...the British Empire.
differance with the British Empire is we pulled the strings.
Old 20-01-2008, 22:37   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
differance with the British Empire is we pulled the strings.

...that was going to be my punchline, but I'd thought I'd leave it for you to say.

Personally I'm not pro-European, and would pull out tomorrow.

It was sold as an economic union back in the 60's/70's, and it certainly isn't that anymore.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 23:01   #19
God Member

What is the British Empire?

I hate politics and things like this. I've just started EU law and its so difficult to get my head around. Art blah blah blah says this and Article blah blah of this treaty does that.

Wish we werent in the EU
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 23:03   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
What is the British Empire?
wrong question, should be What was.
Old 21-01-2008, 08:01   #21
Resident Waffler

I liked it when it was The Common Market. That made it sound like a huge communal shopping spree where we could get crêpes and würstchen in exchange for black puddings and Lancashire hot pot.

Somewhere along the way the 'market' became a 'union' and the shop stewards were all in Brussels.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 06:04   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I liked it when it was The Common Market. That made it sound like a huge communal shopping spree where we could get crêpes and würstchen in exchange for black puddings and Lancashire hot pot.

Somewhere along the way the 'market' became a 'union' and the shop stewards were all in Brussels.
I disappointingly lost a debate between the yorkshire pudding and the lancashire hotpot the other day. I still stand by my opinion that the hotpot is better though, though i do love yorkshire puddings
Old 23-01-2008, 06:16   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
wrong question, should be What was.
We still have a British Empire but to cut down on travelling expenses we let them all move here
Old 23-01-2008, 06:25   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
We still have a British Empire but to cut down on travelling expenses we let them all move here
There was a report on immigration about a year ago now in The Times and it had statistics that showed just as many people moved out of the country to foreign countries. Think the top 2 destinations where spain and australia if I remember rightly.

Point I'm trying to make is, many people come to live in England, but just as many leave, but obviously we wouldn't notice that as easily and so it looks like its just a free for all here.

Though I think you referred to me as 'Accywebs immigration represenative' or something ridiculous earlier so maybe I should just be quiet.
Old 23-01-2008, 08:21   #25
Super Moderator

In the first vote on the ratification of the European Reform Treaty which took place in parliament the other day, Greg Pope voted "for", so it's pretty clear where he stands on the subject!
Old 23-01-2008, 09:04   #26

I voted for the Lisbon Treaty because it is good for Britain to be part on an enlarged EU. We got all our the opt-outs and in other areas there will be majority voting - something which is necessary now that the EU has 27 countries in it.

There has been a lot of rubbish written about the Treaty (although not on Accyweb!) but Parliament is surely the right place to ratify it, where it will be debated in detail for a full month in the Commons in great detail. Someone mentioned earlier in thread that we had joined a Common Market and not a European Union, and I think that's right. Perhaps we should have a vote once and for all if we want to stay in EU? For all its faults I think we are much better off in it.
Greg Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 09:13   #27
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pope View Post
Perhaps we should have a vote once and for all if we want to stay in EU?
Agreed, Greg! Could you possibly have a word with your boss about it please?
Old 23-01-2008, 09:20   #28
God Member

I wish I could bring myself to take interest in whats going on with the Lisbon Treaty, we've been recommended to follow it by my EU law tutor because obviously its a pretty important change going on thats going to impact what we're studying and it throws our text books out of date when we've only just paid for them £35 a book too.

Strangely enough there didn't seem to be much care for it in the past days Times though, unless I'm missing something.
Old 23-01-2008, 09:40   #29
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pope View Post
There has been a lot of rubbish written about the Treat
Does this "rubbish" include the recent report by the Labour-dominated Foreign Affairs Select committee which concluded that the treaty cedes vital powers to Brussels and that ministers are misleading the public by saying that it does not?
Old 23-01-2008, 09:50   #30
God Member

I find it quite exciting that greg pope posts on accyweb, does peter britcliffe post aswell?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..