Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2005, 08:09   #16
God Member

Re: why doesnt accrington have a next?

Turn Accrington into a themepark of bad local governance, economic neglect and social decline? What would be the advertising slogan?
Old 10-03-2005, 08:16   #17
Give, give, give member

'Come to Accrington, former beauty Queen of the Industrial North, now selling musty woolies for Chariteeeeee, and smelling a bit of wee'. Don't feed the Chav's they've already had their chips.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 09:21   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Don't feed the Chav's they've already had their chips.
That was funnnneeeee!
Old 11-03-2005, 18:27   #19
Senior Member+

It's all about demographics and as A-B said the perceived wealth or poverty of an area.Blackburn has a larger catchment area for consumers than Accy and an established shopping centre with brand names.We don't and never will have;it's a bit of a vicious circle really;you don't get decent shops because of economics and state of the town but decent shops would improve state of the town and encourage other retailers.....yadda yadda yadda.

All I really want is a TK Maxx,I love that store!
Old 11-03-2005, 18:58   #20
Give, give, give member

It is about demographisc and wealth. Admitedly Clitheroe, is in a more affluent area, but has managed to have a thriving retail environment, with both multiples and independants. With a bit more initiative in planning there was no reason Accy couldn't have had the same variation of shops. People travel to Clitheroe to shop. Accrington's once great Market attracts few out of townies, even on flea market day. People travel for miles to go to Bury Market, so if what was on offer was appealing enough demographics don't really come into it.

Old 11-03-2005, 19:06   #21
Senior Member+

Clitheroe is quite picturesque and has a great variety of interesting shops and a BOOTHS ! Bury has a fantastic shopping centre and market and a quick and easy link to Manchester.The only reason we don't lose more trade to Bury is the pitiful bus service there from Accy.
Old 11-03-2005, 19:13   #22
Give, give, give member

Clitheroe has a castle, but before the powers that be decided to get rid of a lot of our heritage, and left areas like Broadway looking like a shanty town, we could have competed with the wealthier Ribble Valley towns. We should have high-lighted Accy's past, not knocked it down and tried to make it look like a shabby Milton Keynes. People would have travelled here then.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..