Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-07-2005, 01:50   #1
Resting in Peace

Exclamation Wildlife of Accrington

Hi all

Just as I was driving back to base this morning I spotted a young Fox crossing Manchester Rd near to Broad Oak Rd. Cute looking as it was I got to thinking about the "plots" in the area and wondering if anyone was keeping hens etc, if there is anyone with live stock please be warned of the Fox in this area.
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-07-2005, 09:06   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Wildlife of Accrington

saw one at the top end of fielding lane just before the shoulder of mutton a couple of weeks ago.
Old 20-07-2005, 09:38   #3
Senior Member+

Don't let Staggeringman know, he will be out with the hounds. lol
Old 20-07-2005, 10:43   #4
Give, give, give member

From my bedroom window l occasionally see Mr Fox trying to get across to the lttle island, to see how the little birds are doing in their nests.

Sometimes it happens in the middle of the night, and l'm sure Pendy will back me up that it is better than an alarm call. Not when she is in Bloomsbury, it's not that much of a din, but when she is up here.

There were many more foxes when l lived in South London, than l have ever seen up here. The place behind my hedge was a veritable killing field. l could have filled a duvet with the amount of feathers l had to sweep up.

The strangest thing l ever saw, was undrawing my sitting room curtains one morning and on the windowsill sat the mankiest, oldest, greyest fox l had ever seen. Eyeball to eyeball we looked at one another. Me tapping on the glass had no effect, normally the inner city foxes weren't shy but did keep out of your way. This one just stared at me.

I would like to say that when l came home from work and found it dead on the window sill, it resulted in me now being the the owner of a silver fox hat. Infact l just binned the little creature.

Last edited by garinda; 20-07-2005 at 10:44.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2005, 11:10   #5
God Member

I regularly spot a few foxes up were I live too due to the pens down the track. Some of them are cheeky little buggers too! Last one I saw was when I was seeing Slinks to the door at 4am in the morning after a beer session, it stood there watching me for ages, I thought about inviting it in for a beer seen as it was only early

Though it never got into the hutch I think it was a fox that petrified my rabbit and guinea pig to death, they died within 2 days of each other and I can't think of any other reason why when neither of them was ill.

Last edited by Tinkerbelle; 20-07-2005 at 11:12.
Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2005, 11:32   #6
land of hope and glory

give us a shout the next time you see one!you want to see the carnage these little pests leave behind on an allotment full of hens?
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2005, 12:44   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
I regularly spot a few foxes up were I live too due to the pens down the track. Some of them are cheeky little buggers too! Last one I saw was when I was seeing Slinks to the door at 4am in the morning after a beer session, it stood there watching me for ages, I thought about inviting it in for a beer seen as it was only early

Though it never got into the hutch I think it was a fox that petrified my rabbit and guinea pig to death, they died within 2 days of each other and I can't think of any other reason why when neither of them was ill.

4am in the morning? Waving Slinky off after a 'few' beers?

Are you sure it was a fox, and not a lickle baby pink elephant????

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2005, 13:34   #8

We believe a fox killed what looked to be a cygnet the other week & either it or Jimmi's cat left it on our front lawn! The funniest fox story happened in Bacup, it was four in the morning when my other half went to borrow his mums car, She sometimes leaves her german shepherd on the yard so the other half was calling her & getting no response which he thought was strange on closer inspection he discovered it was a fox which refused to move even when he started he had to almost run it over before it moved & if looks could kill he would have been dead.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2005, 15:16   #9
Resting in peace

Garinda is right, there are more foxes in London than you can shake a stick at. I had one that lived under the shed next door in my old garden in South London. It used to pop into the garden sometimes, only problem was, it used to sit in my window boxes, digging up the crocus bulbs. There's a whole colony of them living under the old prefab offices at St George's Hospital. They usually don't bother anybody, there are too many rich pickings in dustbin bags and litter bins. Most people blame cats for black bags being ripped open, but surprisingly often it is foxes helping themselves to your leftovers.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..