Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 22:52   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: Women & Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
The issue of divorce must have an effect ( I think that was what your point was) Divorce seemed to be a taboo topic in the early 60's now it is barely a talking point.
No, my point was that all the ills of society today aren't down to women going out to work. Your argument holds no water. As the example shows, the majority of women around here have been going out to work for well over a hundred and fifty years. They didn't go into debt to have a better mangle than their neighbours, nor did their children go around terrorising their neighbourhoods.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-01-2008, 22:55   #17
God Member

Well i was divorced and on my own with 3 little uns for 3 yrs and i had a job and a car (ok not my own home) but lived a decent lifestyle and i still managed to keep my kids from drugs,jail,and terrorising people.etc
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 23:03   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
No, my point was that all the ills of society today aren't down to women going out to work. Your argument holds no water. As the example shows, the majority of women around here have been going out to work for well over a hundred and fifty years. They didn't go into debt to have a better mangle than their neighbours, nor did their children go around terrorising their neighbourhoods.
I’m not suggesting that all the ills of today’s society are due to women going out to work, merely asking for feedback on the initial questions. The women around here may well have been going out to work for many years, I suspect so in many other areas too. The acceptability , generally, of the practice seems to be more recent and on a larger scale.
Old 06-01-2008, 23:04   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Well i was divorced and on my own with 3 little uns for 3 yrs and i had a job and a car (ok not my own home) but lived a decent lifestyle and i still managed to keep my kids from drugs,jail,and terrorising people.etc
that i would say validates my point.
Old 06-01-2008, 23:07   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Great to hear that, would seem that it's becoming ever harder to do as you have done. Just asking if women working added to the problem.
Old 06-01-2008, 23:14   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Great to hear that, would seem that it's becoming ever harder to do as you have done. Just asking if women working added to the problem.
silly chap women are the problem.
Old 06-01-2008, 23:16   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Hope that comment gets lost in the thread, the ladies might be after kickin yer arse
Old 06-01-2008, 23:18   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Hope that comment gets lost in the thread, the ladies might be after kickin yer arse
am i bovvered???
Old 06-01-2008, 23:21   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post

OOOIIIII Watch it!!!!!
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 00:52   #25
I am Banned

MM i often wonder about this and would like to put some questions forward just to bounce about ....
The fact that both parents are expected to work and more often than not, have to work if they want to eat,means that more children are in childcare before the age of three.
I work in childcare and know that the children do not get away with "murder" as they say.
but.... i wonder if your child is childcare full time, then when your child is with you do they ever get away with things or get more treats than they normally would because you feel guilty for not having more time with them?
(and i dont think you should feel guilty but given the choice i'd bet many of you would give up your full time job in a jiffy if you could)

And as for deliquents on the streets- we all remember the dens we used to make as children, collecting things we found, going to the park becasue there was always one near..
i wonder if the lack of freedom our children have contributes to them becoming more streetwise because they dont have the freedom we had when we were younger. i dont have my own children but my partner has two girls- 9 and 10 years and i wouldnt even let them go to the shop on the next block on their own because i wouldnt think they were safe.
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:15   #26
God Member

my off the wall thinking is kids are not being taught to socialize these days , simple point , in the days before two cars in every driveway most folks used pubic transport which was a times crowded and children were taught from an early to give up their seat for any adult, not just a pensioner , and it was just an automatic reaction for any able bodied male to give up his seat for a woman be she old or young , these days most 'children' never use a bus until the early teenage years when the parents unwrap the cotton wool and then they act like feral animals because they haven't been taught or know any different , similar situation with teenage 'gangs' , children are never allowed out to play (socialize) in the streets or the next street because of over sensationalized reports of molesters lurking behind every streetlamp ( attention people, its not a new problem, its allways been there, but it was dealt with locally by family and neighbours) when finally they are allowed out they make the most of it.
Also extended family links are no longer there at one time at least one set of grandparents lived in the immediate area (within two or three streets) and you could be sure if you got into anything word would get back pretty quick .
Something which I have thought about is also the size of high schools (secondary schools) I think they have gotten to be to big and a child just becomes a number and not an individual , I went to school in the days when Gt.Harwood, Rishton,Clayton, and Ossy all had their own secondary schools (don't know how many Accy had) as well as Accy Grammer , High and Ossy Tech, plus the Catholic Secondary and Grammer schools (inc Paddock House) both the pupils and the teachers were part of the local community , something I think we have lost , I think I can honestly say that Johnny Shackleton the Headmaster at Gt. Harwood Secondary Modern knew the name of every child in the school , something I doubt many headmasters/school principals/directors of education can say in any local High school these days .

Last edited by steeljack; 07-01-2008 at 02:17.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:55   #27
Resident Waffler

I agree with you about schools becoming too big and impersonal. Children are statistics rather than individuals.

My mother worked, out of necessity, but I didn't become a delinquent.

I do think a lot of the layabouts are children of layabouts and it's a vicious circle.

And that is very over simplified.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..