Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 22:19   #1

Question Women & Work

I will assume (idiot I know) that from lets say the late 60’s that it started to become more acceptable for women to go out to work. Independence for the ladies…excellent. Families become generally more prosperous…great.

Has this “new” lifestyle contributed to there being huge amounts of debt owed by many families. The “keep up with the Jones’ syndrome” type thing ?

Perhaps more importantly, has this contributed to the streets being full ,of what appears to be, more delinquents than ever before ?
Old 06-01-2008, 22:26   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Women & Work

I think you'll find that in this part of the industrialised world, that women have been going out to work since the 1860's.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 22:31   #3
God Member

Perhaps more importantly, has this contributed to the streets being full ,of what appears to be, more delinquents than ever before ?

Think thats down to parents and police not being allowed to give a clip round the ear.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 22:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I think you'll find that in this part of the industrialised world, that women have been going out to work since the 1860's.
You are most likely correct, they would work out of necessity I expect, the questions I posed was a generalisation to say the least. Just wondered if the questions “held any water” as they say.
Old 06-01-2008, 22:34   #5
God Member

I think the general conscensus is that the delinquents on the streets are not there because their parents are working, it's more likely their parents are at home drunk out of their minds.
Old 06-01-2008, 22:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Think thats down to parents and police not being allowed to give a clip round the ear.
It's the parenting issue I was asking about, maybe there is nobody there to give them a clip around the ear, even if it was allowed.
Old 06-01-2008, 22:38   #7
Give, give, give member

Women from the ages of eight or nine have worked in the Lancashire mills for generations, and still found time to raise families who somehow managed to live within their meagre means.

Personally I blame Thatcher. Sadly in the eighties the psyche of the British changed forever. Sod helping your neighbour, it was all about me, me, me, and what I want, and to hell with the rest of you.

Old 06-01-2008, 22:40   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

dont think that has contributed much to that, (debt i mean) think standards did decline somewhat in late 60s though, due to young folk (like me) having loads of dosh,n knowing it all, which seemed great at the time, but in retrospect everythings much simpler with hindsight.

Last edited by cashman; 06-01-2008 at 22:41. Reason: error
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 22:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I think the general conscensus is that the delinquents on the streets are not there because their parents are working, it's more likely their parents are at home drunk out of their minds.
That's a larger generalisation than my initial one. Lots of our yobs come from what should be a good background. Nice house, couple of cars, house full of gadgets. But has mother been at home?
Old 06-01-2008, 22:43   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
But has mother been at home?
Mother yes, and perhaps the second step-father, or current partner.

Old 06-01-2008, 22:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
dont think that has contributed much to that, (debt i mean) think standards did decline somewhat in late 60s though, due to young folk (like me) having loads of dosh,n knowing it all, which seemed great at the time, but in retrospect everythings much simpler with hindsight.
Hindsight is great, must say I wish I had it
Old 06-01-2008, 22:46   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
It's the parenting issue I was asking about, maybe there is nobody there to give them a clip around the ear, even if it was allowed.

Nah im with rindy here , women have worked for years and still managed to raise familes and keep their kids under control .
On this issue IMO its all down to the non parent doo gooders telling us how to raise our children and thinking they are better for it . (the children i mean)
Dont get me wrong i dont agree with lethering kiddies but it never hurt any of us to get a clout if we did wrong or even to get the cane at school. nowadays even the teachers darent say boo to em .
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 22:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Mother yes, and perhaps the second step-father, or current partner.
The issue of divorce must have an effect ( I think that was what your point was) Divorce seemed to be a taboo topic in the early 60's now it is barely a talking point.
Old 06-01-2008, 22:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Nah im with rindy here , women have worked for years and still managed to raise familes and keep their kids under control .
On this issue IMO its all down to the non parent doo gooders telling us how to raise our children and thinking they are better for it . (the children i mean)
Dont get me wrong i dont agree with lethering kiddies but it never hurt any of us to get a clout if we did wrong or even to get the cane at school. nowadays even the teachers darent say boo to em .
I agree, disciplne seems to have gone right out the window
Old 06-01-2008, 22:51   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

though its a generalisation i think its more a case of= monkey see, monkey do,with kids, in many cases whatever happens at home when young,seems to be the norm.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..