Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-08-2008, 00:04   #1
God Member

wonder if this will happen here?

Ummm wonder if this will ever happen here.
I dont smoke anymore and havent done for 10 months now but I agree the ban has put many small businesses in danger of closure. It would be good to see them get some backing and if Germany can do it, why cant we?

German high court backs small bars against smoke ban | Science & Health | Reuters
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-08-2008, 00:43   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: wonder if this will happen here?

[quote=cherokee;619466]Ummm wonder if this will ever happen here.
I dont smoke anymore and havent done for 10 months now but I agree the ban has put many small businesses in danger of closure. It would be good to see them get some backing and if Germany can do it, why cant we?

Because we are British and must follow the rules.

The only country that does I must admit - But would you have it any other way
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 01:53   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
It would be good to see them get some backing and if Germany can do it, why cant we?

because our economey is shot to hell and it couldnt afford to back a 3 legged donkey at ascot nevermind back buisnesses

although they still find money to keep giving to imigrants , no matter how bad things get we still keep paying out when it comes to imigrants

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 02:14   #4
God Member

Because we are not Nazis!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 02:48   #5
God Member

this is the German view of the smoking ban in bars .........English version
The World from Berlin: 'Not a Victory for Smokers' - International - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 08:17   #6
Loz

Think it would be great if something like that was brought in here but it won't happen because we aren't allowed little pleasures anymore!
The ban shouldn't have been enforced in the first place imo but i can't see the goverment reversing it now.
Old 16-08-2008, 09:23   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

theres no need to bring in this, the authorities only need to ignore it,same as they do in Spain, - no cost , no problem. but we are British.
Old 16-08-2008, 09:59   #8

I can't see the French taking much notice. We just sit back and take it. That's why we didn't have a revolution.
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 10:38   #9
God Member

Maybe this is the way to go?

DutchNews.nl - Smoking ban leads to new religion

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 12:15   #10
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: wonder if this will happen here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Because we are not Nazis!
Neither are the Germans.
Old 16-08-2008, 12:39   #11
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: wonder if this will happen here?

At least the Germans have recognised, in a roundabout way, the rights of everyone.

I see that the German anti-smoking lobby burbles on about clean air and the right of non-smokers to breathe it. I know that German motor engineering is superb but their vehicle engines still chuck out more poison than fags ever did. So where is this clean air?

I also notice that there are advocates of the owner of a business premises where the general public can enter having the right to decide for himself whether to run a non-smoking bar or a smoking bar. Market forces will decide if he made the right decision.

But the chances of our ‘control freak’ government back tracking on the orders of Brussels is remote in the extreme. They are too busy trying to line themselves up for an even more lucrative gravy train in Brussels.

If this government can give away our fishing rights in our territorial waters to the Spanish and French to the detriment of our own fishing fleet then it really is a question of “How high” when Brussels shouts ‘jump’.
Old 16-08-2008, 13:21   #12
God Member

There is a legal loophole which nobody has tried to exploit yet that I know of.

Hotels can have a smoking lounge for residents.

Maybe the cost of building or converting space into a dormitory (and getting planning permission) is a 'put off'
The dorm needn't be posh because nobody will be expected to use it.
A receptionist at the entrance to the smokers lounge will charge a small 'bed fee' and book them in.

That way they can be treated as overnight residents. If any of them are tempted to use the dorm they could be deterred by an exhorbitant extra charge to be added for heat, light, hot water and bedding.

In the event of a raid by council inspectors, persons in the smokers lounge would produce a bed ticket and be shown the dorm.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 13:56   #13
God Member

After posting I found this which complicates matters
Can I allow guests to smoke in a designated ‘smoking lounge’?
NO: No guest or member of staff is allowed to smoke in any public area of the property, even if all the
guests and staff are smokers.
Can guests smoke in their own private bedroom/accommodation?
YES: But only in certain bedrooms which have been designated as ‘smoking allowed rooms’. These are
for the use of the guest for the duration of their stay. These rooms must be designated in writing as
“smoking allowed” guest bedrooms and a register containing the identity of these rooms must be kept by
the management, and must be available for inspection by enforcement officers at any time. Staff will not be
permitted to smoke in these rooms.
Can any bedroom be designated as a smoking allowed room?
NO: There are certain requirements for smoking allowed rooms. Doors that lead to public smoke-free
areas of the property must have a mechanical closure device fitted, and any ventilation system must not
ventilate into any other smoke-free part of the premises [except another designated smoking allowed
bedroom]. A guest room designated must be clearly marked as a room where smoking is permitted.

So the smokers bar area will have to be in the same space as the dorm so that the whole area will constitute a bedroom.
http://www.breckland.gov.uk/guidance_for_hotels.pdf

Old 16-08-2008, 16:10   #14
Loz

Sounds like a lot of hassle to me Margeret.
Do you think hotels would bother with all that?
It won't affect their buisness i wouldn't have thought so why bother?
Old 16-08-2008, 16:14   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Sounds like a lot of hassle to me Margeret.
Do you think hotels would bother with all that?
It won't affect their buisness i wouldn't have thought so why bother?
A drinking/smoking saloon named The Dormitary
The 'beds' in the drinking/smoking/sleeping area could be those Japanese small sleeping pods - to discourage any 'hanky panky'- in case the patrons insist on taking up their right to stay overnight.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..