Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-11-2005, 10:31   #46
I am Banned

Re: Work 'til you drop....!

i would hate to be in the army can you imagine been on the front line at age 67 onwards lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-11-2005, 11:05   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
i would hate to be in the army can you imagine been on the front line at age 67 onwards lol
Better than the ones on drink and drugs.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 12:08   #48
God Member

Age doesn't seem to be a hinderance to Commissioned Officers!
Old 21-11-2005, 12:24   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Age doesn't seem to be a hinderance to Commissioned Officers!
Wonder if thats because of the easier life they have?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 21-11-2005, 12:34   #50
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

My job is both physically and mentally knackering including shifts where I can be working days and nights in the same week. I will be going at 55 whether they like it or not, otherwise I will go on long term sick and they can move me to a desk job.

Chav is right about shift work shortening your life. A study in the US showed that people who work shifts can expect to die 5 years sooner than those who don't. Then again, they are the last 5 years when you've lost control of your bladder, can't remember your name and wish you were dead anyway....

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 12:58   #51
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
It takes a whole lot of people to make this world go round and without the order and planning labourers would rarely do an efficient job.
Ian
Perhaps lack of leadership is demonstrated once more on Broadway, those poor blokes have no chance of doing a good job! (I think all the management took early retirement!).

Quote:
Bad-Wolf
I think this is a narrow minded and ignorant comment, that shows a considerable lack of knowledge and understanding as to what goes on in the real world!

I strongly suggest that you get a grip on reality!
How anyone that has such a bad outlook on his personal life, (see thread) can advise someone else to get a grip on reality is beyond me!

Myself I would rather live in a world filled with scented flowers and sunshine and where we are all friends together, that has got to be better than reality!

No I can't believe I wrote that Cr*p either,
but it might make me as one with
WOLFIE!

Last edited by Less; 21-11-2005 at 13:22.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 13:22   #52
God Member

Well have to now go and shorten my life a bit more. Life is a pain.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 21-11-2005, 14:11   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:
My job is tertiary, however it requires a lot of skill and training in order to do it.(I'm currently able to program in over 6 languages, can script in three more, I design, build, and test sytems over distributed computing for an industry that handles billions of pounds a day) Why should my retirement be compromised because I do a job that not everyone could do. It takes a certain mindset to be able to do it. I may not be physically tired when I get home but I can surely be mentally drained. I do have respect for those who work in physical jobs but please don't think that their work is somehow superior. It takes a whole lot of people to make this world go round and without the order and planning labourers would rarely do an efficient job. Likewise how would a builder know what to build without an architect sitting on his arse and drawing the plans.

Ian
Sorry dont mean that your job is less superiour to others or anything like that i just mean what i said doin the job daddiboo does is so much more physically more demanding and in return i know that he will be dead before getting his pension at 67 where as you probably would'nt be, i just dont think its fair that knowing this the government could still up the age as people say it should be equal, and by that i mean that it should be at an age where he wont work himself into an early grave!

I certainly do not mean to say you dont know how to do the job you are doing and its like you say if the architect didnt have all his little people running around doing the sh*t jobs for him then nether would the job get done so you see as it works vice versa.

I know daddiboo could not do your job without the correct training but neither could you do his job without the correct training and the physical side well lets say i dont know many people who can do his job and stick at it!
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 14:41   #54
God Member

One thing to remember is that no-one forces anyone to do a specific job. Up to now in my career, I've sold TV's video cameras and Hifi, worked the pub restaurant game(very physically demanding when you are running up two flights of stairs over 200 times a day plus shifting 36 gallon barrels), organised shifts for call centres and now do the job I described earlier. I have done these jobs as ways to improve myself both mentally and financially. If daddiboo is unhappy with his job/life prospects then it is up to him to change it. There are more opportunities to retrain now than at any time. I could take on other opportunities that would increase my salary significantly over what I earn at present but as this would likely mean working away from home I will not do it. My family are more important to me than any job will ever be.

Please remember you work to live not the other way round.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 14:55   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
One thing to remember is that no-one forces anyone to do a specific job. Up to now in my career, I've sold TV's video cameras and Hifi, worked the pub restaurant game(very physically demanding when you are running up two flights of stairs over 200 times a day plus shifting 36 gallon barrels), organised shifts for call centres and now do the job I described earlier. I have done these jobs as ways to improve myself both mentally and financially. If daddiboo is unhappy with his job/life prospects then it is up to him to change it. There are more opportunities to retrain now than at any time. I could take on other opportunities that would increase my salary significantly over what I earn at present but as this would likely mean working away from home I will not do it. My family are more important to me than any job will ever be.

Please remember you work to live not the other way round.

Ian
If you had read in my other post i have said that Daddiboo does this work and as i said he does not complain and i have never said anything about him being unhappy in his work Daddiboo has done this work since he left school he went to college to better himself at the work he does. You can tell me about running up and down stairs Asphalt goes on roofs to can you guess how it gets up there when the hand pullys not working! lets not forget the reason we are posting in this thread and that is the about the government wanting to up the age limit for you to claim your pension. I really dont mean to sound like i am being funny with you i was just trying to put forward my point of view.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 19:10   #56
God Member

This all getting a bit post-modernist.

I think that a lot of the disagreement centres on the value we place on certain occupations. For example, The Idiot-in-Chief reckons he is worth every penny of £16K per year, plus pension, plus benefits, plus allowances, although the majority of members here, given the choice, would not pay him with the holes out of washers.

I cannot for the life of me see why a football player deserves to be paid £60k per week, though I suspect that the football player, like the Idiot-in-Chief, would disagree with me.

The crux of the matter is the crappy way the State Pension System was set up in the first place. Had the income been invested, as it should have been, there would not have been a problem. But it wasn't. Income came in through one door and straight out through the other. What was left over at the end of any particular year was then absorbed into general government funds. Can you imagine the monolithic size of of the state pension fund now if it had been invested, it doesn't bear thinking about. The Labour Party have never been very good with money.

Post-Modernist: Susan Sontag; "Once you have decided that something is art, it is pointless saying that A is better than B, because they each have their own inimicable qualities." She has a lot to answer for, that woman.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 21-11-2005 at 19:13.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 19:18   #57
Beacon of light

And if Gordon Brown had not skimmed the cream off the pension schemes then perhaps that would have helped too. I suppose the investments would have had to be sound to have been any good...and as your observation about the Labour Party's financial accumen...what would have been the chance of that...? The whole of the benefits system is a total shambles. People who have not contributed in any way can draw benefits ad infinitum - there has to be something wrong with that concept. I am all for a welfare state that helps people to get back on their feet.....but I am not happy with supporting the same folk and their dependents for generations to come.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2005, 08:22   #58
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
I suppose the investments would have had to be sound to have been any good...
No Margaret, the dodgier the scheme the more chance of a good solid return on any investment, actually you are quite right, they would have to be sound, but that doesn't mean that the top men would have invested it wisely on our behalf.

Someone somewhere would have created a South Sea Bubble that would have seen all those funds disappearing into nothing!

In fact, oh! look, those funds, (Dramatic pause called for here)..........
They've disappeared into nothing!

Who said magic is an illusion?

Last edited by Less; 22-11-2005 at 08:26.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2005, 09:33   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
No Margaret, the dodgier the scheme the more chance of a good solid return on any investment, actually you are quite right, they would have to be sound, but that doesn't mean that the top men would have invested it wisely on our behalf.

Someone somewhere would have created a South Sea Bubble that would have seen all those funds disappearing into nothing!

In fact, oh! look, those funds, (Dramatic pause called for here)..........
They've disappeared into nothing!

Who said magic is an illusion?
Even a sound investment stratagy doesnt always return a healthy gain. When the stock markets have a hiccup or a sneezing fit as has been known then the sound investment still looks good compared to others. At least the state pension is there a private one is subject to whims of every stock market it has invested inand as the US is the biggest every other follows when it crashes. Even so called low risk investments can suffer then.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 23-11-2005, 13:43   #60
Resting in peace

A-B is right. The State pension system was flawed from the start. Pensions were given immediately to those who were of the right age, even though they had paid nothing in. So we have a system where those of us paying NI are paying the pensions of the previous people who paid NI, because none of it was invested for the future. The fact that we are also paying massive benefits to those who have never paid a penny into the system, plus free health care (in large quantities), doesn't help one bit.

I have a better State pension than most people, simply because I have paid in more over the years. How long the State will be able to pay it is another matter. At 58, it is a worrying thought. And yes, I did pay into a private pension, but since it was with Equitable Life (as was one of my occupational pensions) the chances of my seeing much of it are very small.

I can't afford to retire at 60, not if I want to have a good lifestyle. Yes, I work at a desk, but I have an extremely stressful job, which demands a great deal of effort and mental energy. On working days I frequently fall asleep at 9:30 because I am shattered.

I have worked hard and paid in all my life. I should be entitled to spend my declining years (shut up, those of you who are muttering that I am well into them) in reasonable comfort, without worrying how to pay the gas bill. Perhaps I should have been an MP - it is their index-linked, inflation-proof pensions that are helping to drain the system. So come on Tony and Gordon, don't plan on retiring until you are 67, but it would help if you died of overwork before getting there - that would be a real help to the State pension funds!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..