Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2010, 18:19   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: Would you let your kids

The vast majority of us on here thought the McCanns were wrong to leave their young children, and that was only forty feet or so. Not a mile.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-07-2010, 19:06   #17
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I hate the culture of wrapping up children in cotton wool, and never letting them toughen up to the realities of the world.

Even in the care of an older child, a five year old travelling a mile, is a bit risky. Traffic isn't the only concern, when they set off on a dark winter morning.

Falling of the bike, dogs, nasty kids, and nasty adults.

At five I'd take the child, on a journey of a mile.

Just my opinion.
These parents know their children better than we do.

Of course there are dangers.....life is full of danger, but if we do not allow children to experience life then how will they cope when they get bigger.
I just think that social services have other, more important things to concern themselves over.

And yes, the Mc Canns were only a spit and a stride away...which only goes to show that you can be within shouting distance and your child could(not will ) be at risk.
The parents whose children were mauled by a fox were in the house at the time.......so it just proves that you cannot remove all risk from the lives of children, you have to teach them to build strategies to deal with risk and danger.

Just my opinion.....see I told you I was a pretty crap mother.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 19:29   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaret pilkington View Post

just my opinion.....see i told you i was a pretty crap mother.

not!!!
Old 05-07-2010, 23:43   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
These parents know their children better than we do.

Of course there are dangers.....life is full of danger, but if we do not allow children to experience life then how will they cope when they get bigger.
I just think that social services have other, more important things to concern themselves over.

And yes, the Mc Canns were only a spit and a stride away...which only goes to show that you can be within shouting distance and your child could(not will ) be at risk.
The parents whose children were mauled by a fox were in the house at the time.......so it just proves that you cannot remove all risk from the lives of children, you have to teach them to build strategies to deal with risk and danger.

Just my opinion.....see I told you I was a pretty crap mother.
You looked a particularly fantastic mother, to me.

I agree with what you're saying, and I'm arguing with myself, but I still don't think a five year old can be equipped with enough common sense to deal with every possibility that might happen on a daily cycle ride of a mile, through one of the busiest cities in the world.

I was raised to be independent by both my parents, but they did happily teach me the breast stroke, instead of just first throwing me in the pool, to see if I'd sink or swim.

Old 06-07-2010, 00:28   #20
Give, give, give member

Don't want to start another thread, but just came across this, while trawling through the papers online.

AN angry mum last night relived the chilling moment cops told her a paedophile was grooming her seven-year-old son - but would NOT divulge the pervert's name.

The terrified mother was forced to do her own detective work, trawling the internet to identify the convicted child sex monster.
Finally she discovered it was Sydney Williams, the man she knew as "kind Syd" who'd befriended the family, giving her boy money and presents.

Police warned me paedo was after my son..but refused to reveal his name | News Of The World

No way!

Well done Sherlock!

Who'd have thought it could have been 'kind Syd', the stranger you allowed into your child's life, and who lavished him with presents?

Some people should have to pass a test before they are allowed to have children.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:25   #21
God Member

to be fair rindy the kids arnt riding through teh busy center of london if you look at teh route its pretty much what you would get around the outskirts of accy and i dare say the child has ridden its bike with its parents previously and they know what its capbilities are and remember its a 5 year old girl so its mental age os probably 20 if its owt like my neice lol

as for the McCanns they were in a foreign country leaving a child to go get drunk and lets face it its not clear cut if leaving madeline alone was teh problem the parents could have killed her for all we know.All i know is that if my son had been taken in the manner they claim i wouldnt be laughing at anything and they both managed to laugh when pleading for their daughters return

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 06-07-2010 at 01:28.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:31   #22
God Member

Quote:
Don't want to start another thread, but just came across this, while trawling through the papers online.

AN angry mum last night relived the chilling moment cops told her a paedophile was grooming her seven-year-old son - but would NOT divulge the pervert's name.

The terrified mother was forced to do her own detective work, trawling the internet to identify the convicted child sex monster.
Finally she discovered it was Sydney Williams, the man she knew as "kind Syd" who'd befriended the family, giving her boy money and presents.

Police warned me paedo was after my son..but refused to reveal his name | News Of The World

No way!

Well done Sherlock!

Who'd have thought it could have been 'kind Syd', the stranger you allowed into your child's life, and who lavished him with presents?

Some people should have to pass a test before they are allowed to have children.
thats just plain stupid and somthing needs to be done about it.I know prents should be wary of strangers but when a friend buys your child a gift it shouldnt scream pedophile in your mind.A bloke up my street who i know regularly brings my sons back things but i have no reason to think hes a pedo but the police if tipped off about a pedos activity should disclose the identity of the pedo to teh parents no doubt about that

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 06-07-2010, 06:50   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
thats just plain stupid and somthing needs to be done about it.I know prents should be wary of strangers but when a friend buys your child a gift it shouldnt scream pedophile in your mind.A bloke up my street who i know regularly brings my sons back things but i have no reason to think hes a pedo but the police if tipped off about a pedos activity should disclose the identity of the pedo to teh parents no doubt about that
Though you probably wouldn't let the man give your kids gifts of money, and let them go and visit a man you don't really know, by themselves.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:54   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
to be fair rindy the kids arnt riding through teh busy center of london if you look at teh route its pretty much what you would get around the outskirts of accy and i dare say the child has ridden its bike with its parents previously and they know what its capbilities are and remember its a 5 year old girl so its mental age os probably 20 if its owt like my neice lol

as for the McCanns they were in a foreign country leaving a child to go get drunk and lets face it its not clear cut if leaving madeline alone was teh problem the parents could have killed her for all we know.All i know is that if my son had been taken in the manner they claim i wouldnt be laughing at anything and they both managed to laugh when pleading for their daughters return
Dulwich is probably as busy as the biggest city in Lancashire.

I really can't believe you'd be happy for your child to ride a mile each day to school, unaccompanied, when they were five.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:23   #25
God Member

Quote:
Though you probably wouldn't let the man give your kids gifts of money, and let them go and visit a man you don't really know, by themselves.

it says he befriended the family so they did know him so the parents wernt sending tehir child off to a total stranger or letting a total stranger give tehir child cards and money it was a family friend.Unfortunatly they didnt know he was a pedo because we havnt yet started tattooing pedo on pedos foreheads.The Law is more at fault than either the police or teh parents for not allowing teh police to name offenders and until pedos are stripped of their anonominity pedos will continue to befriend families and harm children amongst many other tactics they have to gain access to children.

the guy must have been a convincing friend to not alert imidiate suspicion to himself but teh mother did what any sensible parent would do and set about finding out who it was and didnt stop until she found out who

Last edited by accyman; 06-07-2010 at 07:26.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:28   #26
Give, give, give member

Quote:
it says he befriended the family so they did know him so the parents wernt sending tehir child off to a total stranger or letting a total stranger give tehir child cards and money it was a family friend.Unfortunatly they didnt know he was a pedo because we havnt yet started tattooing pedo on pedos foreheads.The Law is more at fault than either the police or teh parents for not allowing teh police to name offenders and until pedos are stripped of their anonominity pedos will continue to befriend families and harm children amongst many other tactics they have to gain access to children
He was a stranger, that they befriended.

He wasn't family, or known to them before he met them at the boat club, and before he started lavishing gifts and money on the child.

They still can't have known him that well, when they let their seven year old go and visit him, otherwise they'd have known he had a history of sexually abusing children.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:31   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
the guy must have been a convincing friend to not alert imidiate suspicion to himself but teh mother did what any sensible parent would do and set about finding out who it was and didnt stop until she found out who
Only after being tipped off by the police!

The imbecile would still be letting her son go and visit that nice, 'kind Syd' otherwise, and God knows what the poor kid would have endured.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:33   #28
Common Sense Member

Quote:
it says he befriended the family so they did know him so the parents wernt sending tehir child off to a total stranger or letting a total stranger give tehir child cards and money it was a family friend.Unfortunatly they didnt know he was a pedo because we havnt yet started tattooing pedo on pedos foreheads.The Law is more at fault than either the police or teh parents for not allowing teh police to name offenders and until pedos are stripped of their anonominity pedos will continue to befriend families and harm children amongst many other tactics they have to gain access to children.

The Bill of Human Rights was set to be replaced with the British Bill of Rights which would have sorted things like this out.

The Tories, once in power, bottled it.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:49   #29
God Member

Quote:
"When he came round to see us at our house, he brought my son little gifts and handed him a tenner."
hardly lavish

Quote:
But in classic paedophile grooming style, he'd moved round the country slipping unnoticed into unsuspecting communities.
no history in their area of been a pedophile so how could they have known.

im sory but i fail to see how these parents are at fault they met a stranger which everyone is to each other until they get to know each other and made a friend just like people do every day and friends buy friends children treats and cards just like many people on here will probably buy friends kids things and i know for a fact some people go as far as to call parents freinds aunty or uncle despite no family connection.They had no reason to suspect this man of been a pedophile he was very clever in what he did and by the sound of it hes had plenty of practice.He gained their friendship and their trust because they had no reason to think he was a pedophile.The mother was informed and she acted swiftly and as far as i can see deserves no criticism what so ever infact she acted where some would have sat on tehir arse moaning but doing nothing except blogging it on facebook.If pedophiles were that easy to spot no one woudl get abused.

granted statisticly children are abused more by family members or friends but you could have a friend of 20 years abuse your child and one of 3 years that didnt

just think your been a bit harsh on teh parents thats all

Old 06-07-2010, 07:51   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
The Bill of Human Rights was set to be replaced with the British Bill of Rights which would have sorted things like this out.

The Tories, once in power, bottled it.
the mother is pressing for megans law to be put into full effect i just hope she is successfull.

still dosnt beat executing them though

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..