Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-09-2006, 09:27   #1

Would you play God????

Following on from........"the tiny foot"....posted in "anything goes".....it brings us to the question.......if you were a doctor.....and you could see nothing but suffering ahead for a family with a deformed infant at birth...would you play God????
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-09-2006, 10:24   #2
God Member

Re: Would you play God????

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentedbutslow
Following on from........"the tiny foot"....posted in "anything goes".....it brings us to the question.......if you were a doctor.....and you could see nothing but suffering ahead for a family with a deformed infant at birth...would you play God????
Ruddy ell Tal thats one hell of a question for a Monday morning!!!! There are enough people trying that now without this happening. Its already done because of screenings and the abortions that follow. Sorry couldnt do it. Life is to precious regardless of how hard it is.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 10:30   #3
Resident Waffler

Neither could I Spuggie, but I'd hate to be in that position. It may look like all you can see ahead is suffering but how do you know? I mean there could be medical breakthroughs or the baby could even grow up to be someone who discovers a medical breakthrough and a cure for something. How can anyone know what will happen 20 years down the line? I would live up to my purpose to save life and preserve life. But that brings us to the other end of the spectrum and how long do you keep someone artificially alive if they are to all intents and purposes dead? A real dilemma. I think I would be inclined there to want to allow the person to die with dignity

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 10:53   #4
Resident Waffler

Found the quote I was looking for:

If you knew a woman who was pregnant, who had 8 kids already, three who were deaf, two who were blind, one mentally retarded, and she had syphilis, would you recommend that she have an abortion?

If you said yes, Congratulations, you just killed Beethoven.

Old 25-09-2006, 11:49   #5
Give, give, give member

Eugenics is a very dangerous game to play.

All life is precious, and if we start trying to decide which sort of life is more valid than another it leads to the sort of madness the Nazis tried to implement.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 12:36   #6
Resting in peace

There is really no answer for how any of us mighnt act, with the benefit of hindsight, knowing how they would end up, Brady, Hidley etc, my answer would be thumbs down. Now play Bethovens fifth.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 13:00   #7
I am Banned

if you look under my user name you will see that i dont need to play god because i have already been made one

thankyou

Last edited by chav1; 25-09-2006 at 13:14.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 13:02   #8
Resident Waffler

Old 25-09-2006, 13:15   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
ive said it before and i will say it again..

chavolism - teh new improved faith for all

edit:

i have inadvertanly thread wandered so in response to the question yes i would abort and believe me hindsight is a wonderfull thing , my mums still trying to get an abortion
Old 25-09-2006, 15:25   #10
Resident Waffler

I wonder how the mother would feel though if she hadn't wanted an abortion and later found out that the child had been killed intentionally by the doctor? Ironically if a mother kills her baby afterwards she is a murderess.

Old 25-09-2006, 16:59   #11
Senior Member+

Its a good job abortions were not legal in the days Stephen Hawkins mother was preggers. Just think if they was and she knew the outcome of her pregnancy we wouldnt have the great mastermind we have today.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 17:17   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmi5bellies
Its a good job abortions were not legal in the days Stephen Hawkins mother was preggers. Just think if they was and she knew the outcome of her pregnancy we wouldnt have the great mastermind we have today.
ime pretty sure somone woulda come along with just the same IQ eventualy to keep the balance between the thick and brainy
Old 25-09-2006, 17:46   #13
Resident Waffler

It inevitably leads to the question where would you draw the line? Would anyone with a medical condition eventually be deemed unworthy to live?

Old 25-09-2006, 18:00   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
It inevitably leads to the question where would you draw the line? Would anyone with a medical condition eventually be deemed unworthy to live?
Like I said earlier, eugenics is a very dangerous game.

Today we offer terminations if there is a possibility of Down's Syndrome, who knows what tomorrow brings?

'I'm sorry your baby will probably be under sized/need glasses/be albino/ginger.'

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 18:09   #15
I am Banned

I got offered a termination when i was carrying my son after 1st scan because it showed he had a foot deformity - absolutely not considered a termination & went on to have a very lively lad with congential talipies several ops later. I was rather upset by the mere suggestion of terminating a baby for that - how vain!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..