Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-11-2007, 13:03   #16
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Yet another begger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I can understand the point of suggesting we might all be in the same boat at some point in our lives, but on this occasion we have to take Less's judgement that the girl in question was not altogether with it. If anyone is an expert in people standing outside pubs on Blackburn Rd looking totally out of it then Less would recognise it
I almost felt tempted to give you positive karma for making me laugh, but I don't give that easily!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-11-2007, 13:26   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
i know that people take the mik and they are trying to con you out of your money for drugs and drink... the point that i was trying to make is that sometimes it is genuine!
i would think that the average person would know a genuine case as apposed to the little sh***** begging for more dope or stuuf she cant handle credit were credit is due good on ya less

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 14:15   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
has anyone here been genuinly stranded and needed help?
yep in Manchester one morning many years ago, didn,t have the price of a cuppa,never mind bus fare, i hitched all the way to accy without getting a lift, was well knackered, never crossed my mind to "Tap" anyone.
Old 20-11-2007, 14:22   #19
God Member

Quote:
i had to take my son to hospital once and i didnt have enough money to get us home.... i used the hospital phone to ring family but nobody was answering... what was i supposed to do?
I am sure the hospital would have been able to help if you had explained the situation to them. I don't think they would have just told you to leave with a poorly baby.
Old 20-11-2007, 14:31   #20
Senior Member+

i did ask and they said they dont give taxi vouchers any more but i could use the phone until i found someone.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 14:48   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
Worse time to borrow money of a stranger & the most vunerable, something i have learnt over the years in such adversity there is help available but without resorting to asking for money from a stranger in the street especially at that time of the morning with what kind of people are about at that time, like waiting in the waiting room till u could contact family or enquiring your options to staff about getting home safely. Always keep a small emergency fund safe & handy in times like this helps.
I'm sure most people, especially people with small children DO try and keep a contingency fund for the unexpected occasion, however, when rushing a small child to A&E, I dont tend to stop at my front door, doing my normal mental check list of what i need to take (memory is not what it used to be). When my son got rushed in with breathing difficulties, I didnt stop everything to grab my purse, i panicked and forgot my money! I didnt ask or 'beg' anything off anyone, I stayed in hospital overnight with him, with no food, drink etc. However, if someone had approached me in the same situation, I would have gladly tried to help them.

I think from the moment you have a child, you have to be willing for all dignity to go out of the window, from the moment of birth. If that means having to ask someone for help when you are at your most desperate, then that is something you have to do. You may not want to, or may hate yourself for doing it, but if there is a child involved, then I think its a case of needs must.

I would much prefer to swallow my pride to get my child out of the cold, and ask someone for help, rather than walk the streets with him.

I kow that this is a different scenario to the one Less has described, wasnt sure if it was a joke at first especially the no ashtray thing, and maybe I am a mug or gullible, but I have to say that I would have probably given the quid or whatever the bus fare would be to help the girl. No one but her knows the situation behind it, but then again maybe I am a soft touch lol
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 15:05   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post

No one but her knows the situation behind it, but then again maybe I am a soft touch lol
fair enough, give us a tenner.
Old 20-11-2007, 15:14   #23

i meant to add, i am a soft touch 'AT THE BEGINNING OF THE MONTH'. This probably explains why I am permamently skint by the middle lmao
Old 20-11-2007, 15:17   #24
Senior Member+

i used to keep £15 in emergency money.. this was stolen from me just before my son was taken into hospital..... getting my son home and keeping him safe was more important than anything else at the time..

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 15:24   #25

exactly. If it is a choice between having 10 people look down on me, but one person helping me and my son, then so be it.

Everyone always says that they would die for their children, so whats a bit of humiliation?
Old 20-11-2007, 15:28   #26
God Member

That girl would have been laughing her socks off if she met a few like you onlyme. Why on earth should you subsidise other people???
Old 20-11-2007, 15:45   #27

because out of the many i help, if just one has a genuine reason for needing help, then thats worth the few that may be taking me for a ride
Old 20-11-2007, 15:48   #28
God Member

Entirely your decision but just think what you might be helping them buy!!
Old 20-11-2007, 16:30   #29

I appreciate where you are coming from on that one, but i think its quite a cynical soceity we live in anyway, and I wont have people that obviously misuse their money spoil it for someone that genuinely deserves help.

In the situation Less is talking about, I would propbably, for example, give a quid which is enough for bus fare to Blackburn. This pretty much equates to half a lager or 4 fags, neither of which I would really miss. If that quid can makes someone elses life a little easier, then I would prefer to spend it on that.
Old 20-11-2007, 17:15   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
I appreciate where you are coming from on that one, but i think its quite a cynical soceity we live in anyway, and I wont have people that obviously misuse their money spoil it for someone that genuinely deserves help.

In the situation Less is talking about, I would propbably, for example, give a quid which is enough for bus fare to Blackburn. This pretty much equates to half a lager or 4 fags, neither of which I would really miss. If that quid can makes someone elses life a little easier, then I would prefer to spend it on that.
I think that I like your attitude better than the others ... altho' I understand where they are coming from. I usually give to panners. Who misses the odd loonie or toonie? There but for the grace of god etc.

By the way, you are paying way too much for cigarettes
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..