Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2012, 09:50   #1

Z- Training

I have absolutely no idea why this popped up in my head, but I seem to remember that when I was a very little girl (late 40's)I used to get so upset because every so often my dad had to return ( to an army camp, I presume) to do his Z training. Apparently it was to keep ex soldiers in trim in case war reared its ugly head again.
Am I imagining this?? or does anyone remember something similar??
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-01-2012, 18:44   #2
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Z- Training

Don't know about "Z" training, but in my time I automatically went onto the long term reserves & could theoretically be called back up, up to my 46th. This came about due to the Army act of 1996, prior to that I was liable to reserve service upto the 22 year point (taking into account any previous Colour service).

You were expected once a year at a designated time & place to present yourself, with full reservist kit (stuff you had to keep hold of) & partake in a set of T.O.E.T.S. (test of elementary training skills) a physical all to a particular standard & for this you were paid a couple of bob for your time & efforts.

This was later commuted (to save money) to filling out a reporting form which you were sent once a year to let them know you were still breathing & available as cannon fodder. All this so that should Her Maj's Government decide a bout of putting Johnny foreigner in his place was overdue, sufficient meat for the mincer was available.

I believe this practice is nowadays redundant what with, 'Uman rights & suchlike.

Only mention of "Z" I could see was :-

Reserves and reservists the British Army of 1914-1918
Old 25-01-2012, 18:52   #3
God Member

My doc is an ex army regular (good if I ever get shrapnel wounds) and he was recalled for service when the Bosnian war was on.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 19:43   #4
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
My doc is an ex army regular (good if I ever get shrapnel wounds) and he was recalled for service when the Bosnian war was on.
Not surprising really Margaret, there has always & still is a shortfall of CMT's (Combat Medical Technicians) in all disciplines & with the current Op's in Afghanistan, the problem has been quite vividly shown.
Old 25-01-2012, 21:49   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Think what was to become our "Special Ops" lads up to around 46/47 were called the Z Force?
Old 26-01-2012, 20:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Think what was to become our "Special Ops" lads up to around 46/47 were called the Z Force?
Thanks Cashman, so I wasn't imagining it, any more info on these Special Ops
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 21:03   #7
God Member

I know my dad was called up to do military service around '46.Think he was among the last year of conscription.

1986 I was MCR President of Trinity Coll. Oxon., the JCR President was Jo Perry -first year the College had 2 female student Presidents. Turned out Jo's dad had been a conscript with my dad. Boozy reunion followed as they hadn't seen each other in 30 years!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 21:52   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
Thanks Cashman, so I wasn't imagining it, any more info on these Special Ops
Sorry susan its just summat in back of me mind,i read yonks ago.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..