Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 21:54   #1
Senior Member+

fourpence to the future

I was messing about with my phone recently, thinking, this phone connects to the internet, its got bluetooth (I can put it in my pocket and talk through an earpiece) takes photos, its an alarm clock, a compass, it sends emails and receives them, it texts. In fact it will do a million other things if I choose to download an app for it. Most people have a mobile phone nowadays, plus a landline used for calls and internet connection.

This set me thinking, in my liftime I have come from a period when not many houses had phones (my mother when she could afford a phone had a party line, this was a shared line with another house, who would put up with that nowaday) , and most people had to go out and find a red phone box.
This entailed putting 4 old pennies in the box and pressing button A, then if the person on the other end answered you pressed button B to talk to them.

So the question is, what part of modern life do you think has advanced your life the most, or what do you think should never have been invented.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-01-2012, 22:09   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: fourpence to the future

Think probably the internet has advanced my life greatly,not that i understand much about the mechanics of it,
Old 11-01-2012, 22:28   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Think probably the internet has advanced my life greatly,not that i understand much about the mechanics of it,
Without the internet, Iwould have had to spend months in the Public Record Office in London, to even get 1/2 way to where I am now with my research.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 22:34   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I think the internet would be on the top of the list here as everyone reading this uses the internet, so I suppose thats fair enough
Old 11-01-2012, 22:35   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Without the internet, Iwould have had to spend months in the Public Record Office in London, to even get 1/2 way to where I am now with my research.
Retlaw.
you could argue that without the internet you may not have started your research in the first place, or kept it local
Old 11-01-2012, 22:40   #6
God Member

Viagara
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 22:45   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
you could argue that without the internet you may not have started your research in the first place, or kept it local
Thats n argument am sure would be lost.
Old 11-01-2012, 22:58   #8
God Member

One of the major advances since the 80's has to be football.. the old boring style of play from teams like Liverpool has been advanced no end.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:40   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I was messing about with my phone recently, thinking, this phone connects to the internet, its got bluetooth (I can put it in my pocket and talk through an earpiece) takes photos, its an alarm clock, a compass, it sends emails and receives them, it texts. In fact it will do a million other things if I choose to download an app for it. Most people have a mobile phone nowadays, plus a landline used for calls and internet connection.

This set me thinking, in my liftime I have come from a period when not many houses had phones (my mother when she could afford a phone had a party line, this was a shared line with another house, who would put up with that nowaday) , and most people had to go out and find a red phone box.
This entailed putting 4 old pennies in the box and pressing button A, then if the person on the other end answered you pressed button B to talk to them.

So the question is, what part of modern life do you think has advanced your life the most, or what do you think should never have been invented.
Now come on Dave you pressed button A to conect, button B to get your money back if nobody answered
Old 12-01-2012, 08:46   #10
Resting in Peace

It was well into the 70s when my mum got a phone and that was only because I had it installed, while I was working away. As you say Dave most people have a mobile these days, I have one but its always switched off unless I go out and its a bog standard on too not these new all singing all dancing models. I can remember the days when, if you wanted to make a call while you were out, you had to search for a red box that wasn't vandalised, which was no mean feat, now if people don't have a mobile stuck to their ear theres something wrong with them, sure it won't be long before we get telephone ear as a new illness
Old 12-01-2012, 09:48   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Now come on Dave you pressed button A to conect, button B to get your money back if nobody answered
I dont remember it that way, but you are right. I am getting old now so I remember the principal but not the fine detail
Old 12-01-2012, 09:52   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Viagara
well it has its place.
Around here they give it to all the males in old peoples homes of an evening along with the horlicks.

it stops them falling out of bed, and they have a good nights sleep
Old 12-01-2012, 09:54   #13
Beacon of light

Button B was to get your money back........I remember when we were children we would go into the phone box and press button B to see if we could get fourpence......you could buy a lot of Rainbow drops with fourpence, quite a few aniseed balls, black jacks and fruit salad....or buy four enormous bubbly gums.(the kind that filled your mouth so full you hardly had room to chew it.......in fact we used to bite it in half and share it with a friend(we didn't care about getting germs.....after all it was only spit and none of us ever died from drinking out of the same pop bottle).
Thanks for bringing back some happy memories.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:00   #14
JFT96

Too young for that, but I do remember dialling and waiting for the pips with a handful of tuppences.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:06   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I dont remember it that way, but you are right. I am getting old now so I remember the principal but not the fine detail
Used to be a saying Press Button B and get your money back, if ya remember Dave you slotted your four pennies into the slow and waited then when they answered whap your thumb on button A to talk

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..