Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-01-2012, 23:53   #121
Give, give, give member

Re: fourpence to the future

Knock down Ginger, or Grand Theft Auto?

Slates, or paper?

Rickets, or childhood obesity?

Pen and ink, or keyboards?

Pea-soupers, or smog?

Hands, or knives and forks?

Talking, or texting?

Going to dances, looking for romance, or trawling internet dating sites?

Observing things with your eyes, or snapping them on your mobile phone?

Living, or virtually living?

Choices, choices.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-01-2012, 07:18   #122
Beacon of light

Smartphones? What is smart about them....no I will leave those thankyou.

Central heating for me....I remember falling out with my brothers over whose turn it was to go and fill the coal bucket.......and getting up to a cold house on a snowy morning and have to lay the fire was not much fun.

Digital camera - beats waiting for the prints that turn out to be crap anyway....good to see what you have captured and delete the rubbish before anyone can laugh at your efforts.

I love my MP3 too....all that music on such a little device......photo's and video clips too.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 08:31   #123
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Smartphones? What is smart about them....no I will leave those thankyou.

Central heating for me....I remember falling out with my brothers over whose turn it was to go and fill the coal bucket.......and getting up to a cold house on a snowy morning and have to lay the fire was not much fun.

Digital camera - beats waiting for the prints that turn out to be crap anyway....good to see what you have captured and delete the rubbish before anyone can laugh at your efforts.

I love my MP3 too....all that music on such a little device......photo's and video clips too.
Ya its very rare now to see photos that cut peoples heads of Margaret, as for the MP3 I've only just mastered my tape cassette
Old 16-01-2012, 09:42   #124
Beacon of light

John they are easy to use......I'm sure you could master it...given half an hour or so.
Old 16-01-2012, 10:04   #125
Resting in Peace

Quote:
John they are easy to use......I'm sure you could master it...given half an hour or so.
Well if I was have problems I could always get my 7 year old Grandson to show me the ropes
Old 16-01-2012, 13:21   #126
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Knock down Ginger, or Grand Theft Auto?

Slates, or paper?

Rickets, or childhood obesity?

Pen and ink, or keyboards?

Pea-soupers, or smog?

Hands, or knives and forks?

Talking, or texting?

Going to dances, looking for romance, or trawling internet dating sites?

Observing things with your eyes, or snapping them on your mobile phone?

Living, or virtually living?

Choices, choices.

Some call it progress -I'm not so sure.

For me it's "nicknack" (that's what we called it), paper, pen & ink, knives and forks, no smog, talking, dancing (always alone these days), using my eyes (rather like the Victorian idea of looking at a view through a mirror to "frame"it) and definitely living -preferably livin' it up given half a chance.

Virtual= frustration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Anyway to get back on thread, is it :

red phone box...or... smartphones.

Getting up to turn the telly over...or...remote controls.

black and white telly with two channels...or...100's of channels with a lot of repeats

coal fires...or...central heating.

box brownies...or...digital cameras

what about the stuff that was never thought about when I was a nipper, computers, sat navs, mp3 players, dvd players, digital recorders,microwaves, and many more... could we do without them
Red phone boxes and post-boxes, for that matter, too.
Switch off the telly unless it's something you really want to watch.
Love a real fire, the smell and colour of the flames in coal (like my Gran used to have) and the crackle of logs.
Digital cameras are great but I never print the photos anymore and I do love looking through my albums...
Can live without most gadgets but would be lost without my laptop these days.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 13:30   #127
Give, give, give member

Letters are more exciting than emails.

As long as they don't come in brown envelopes.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 13:51   #128
Beacon of light

I still print photo's occasionally...but the big boon for me, is that I can send my pictures to the other side of the world as soon as I have looked at them and downloaded them from my camera......this means my sister can see what we(it is usually Me 'n Ma) have been up to...she can see that Ma is OK....and don't they say a picture is worth a thousand words?

Much, much more importantly though, I can provide Ma with lasting memories of the trips we have done....to lighten her days when she is alone(but not lonely).
She can live again the very happy days we have s hared together. I am sure this helps to keep her memory as sharp as it is.
Old 16-01-2012, 14:05   #129
God Member

Quote:
I still print photo's occasionally...but the big boon for me, is that I can send my pictures to the other side of the world as soon as I have looked at them and downloaded them from my camera......this means my sister can see what we(it is usually Me 'n Ma) have been up to...she can see that Ma is OK....and don't they say a picture is worth a thousand words?

Much, much more importantly though, I can provide Ma with lasting memories of the trips we have done....to lighten her days when she is alone(but not lonely).
She can live again the very happy days we have s hared together. I am sure this helps to keep her memory as sharp as it is.
I love photos too. I have albums of my family from 1987 (birth of first son) till 2002 when i got my first digital camera. They are an amazingly good record of events, birthdays, hols, trips out, visits with friends etc -and I kept them all in order. They are great memory joggers -you forget so much over the years.

My boys won't collaborate with family photos any more though they have loads on Facebook so i can get them there!

As to letters - I love them -but get very few these days. E-mails are much less personal. And most of the post that comes is unsollicited or in brown envelopes (as pointed out by G) and needs payment
Photo attached of my favourite post-box, the Victorian one in Howtown on Lake Ullswater. Always post my postcards there when I'm at the Lake, it's worth the 2 mile walk along the lane -I like to think how many cards and letters it has seen over the years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3504.jpg (545.3 KB, 5 views)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 16-01-2012 at 14:08.
Old 16-01-2012, 14:21   #130
Beacon of light

There is a very pretty Victorian postbox on the main street in Ramsbottom....at least I think it is Victorian....will take a picture of it one day.
Old 16-01-2012, 14:34   #131
Rest in Peace

Quote:

I make calendars with some new photos and some very old photos of the family as they were growing up, for all of them. What do I get in return O-dad where did you find that one.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 15:35   #132
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
I make calendars with some new photos and some very old photos of the family as they were growing up, for all of them. What do I get in return O-dad where did you find that one.
The more embarassing the photo the better!

Not many family photos remain of my childhood as, unfortunately, my mum whizzed most of them out at the tip on Whinney Hill when they moved to Tenerife. I can still picture a lot of them in my mind though.

Some it's just as well have gone -the ones of me topless on the beach at Canet-Plage aged 15 -not much to see though, was thin as a lat back then but incredibly well-tanned and my hair was nearly white and really sun-bleached

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 16-01-2012, 15:41   #133
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
The more embarassing the photo the better!

Some it's just as well have gone -the ones of me topless on the beach at Canet-Plage aged 15 -not much to see though, was thin as a lat back then but incredibly well-tanned and my hair was nearly white and really sun-bleached
I was yon in the Late 70s wi me family,so don't worry ive got some.
Old 16-01-2012, 15:49   #134
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I was yon in the Late 70s wi me family,so don't worry ive got some.
Hope you weren't around the evening we went skinny dipping with our emancipated French friends

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 16-01-2012, 21:39   #135
Senior Member+

If you truly embrace the digital age with regard to photos you dont have to print them out, once on the computer you can view them on the computer, I sync them to my ipad and take that around with me(showing off there). Put them on a memory stick, and as most tellies today have a usb port, play them on the telly using the remote control.If you have a camera with a usb port(different to pc usb)you can port them straight to telly with the right lead.
Burn them to a cd or dvd and them play them in the dvd player. If you have a good burning program you can attach music and text. This is good if you have a family project. As has been said you can attach them to emails, upload them to social websites, and post them on here.

I think digital cameras have enthused people to take more photos.As you dont have to take them on film, rewind back into the cassetes, take to the shop for developing, go back to pick them up, look at them and think most of them are a waste of time, and lose enthusiasm

A former camera shop manager friend of mine used to comment that a large percentage of films developed had a picture of a christmas tree at both ends, and holiday snaps in the middle.

Things have moved on from a time when I used to load my grannies box brownie with paper rolled film.
File:Brownie2 overview.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..