Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 10:09   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: fourpence to the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Too young for that, but I do remember dialling and waiting for the pips with a handful of tuppences.
Ya BG and if you ware waiting to use the phone and there was some one using it with a pile of coins on the side, you knew you were in for a long wait
Old 12-01-2012, 11:41   #17
God Member

For those of us with family spread all over the globe, internet is a godsend. You can keep in touch regularly and it doesn't cost too much. You can share almost anything with friends and family on Facebook these days and have video telephone links free.

I remember back in the early 70's, when my Aunt and family emigrated to Canada, phone calls were kept for special occasions -Xmas mainly and you had to book the call. We used to tape and send messages on an early tape recorder - hope the tapes have been destroyed as there were some very embarassing things they made me do such as sing songs and play my clarinet (which I loathed)!

I do hate mobile phones though as they make people very ignorant -they walk around in their own little bubble talking on them anywhere and everywhere. They also use them while driving which is dangerous. You have absolutely no privacy if you carry a mobile phone - they can pick up wherever you've been so you can't get away with anything anymore. No-one ever rings me on mine which is another reason I don't like them

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:57   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Mobile Phones are my pet hate, i do have one,but only fer the fact if paris is out driving or such things on her own n summat happens, I think mobiles have produced a pig ignorant group of people! That may be blunt,but am sure everyone will know what i mean.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:04   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Mobile Phones are my pet hate, i do have one,but only fer the fact if paris is out driving or such things on her own n summat happens, I think mobiles have produced a pig ignorant group of people! That may be blunt,but am sure everyone will know what i mean.
I agree. Mine is only used when I am out (rare) and need a taxi home.

I find it strange that companies assume that you have one.

Today I needed to register on the Royal Mail website to pay import duty on a parcel, which wont be delivered until I pay. The site wouldn't complete my registration until I supplied a mobile number.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:19   #20
Beacon of light

Quote:
Mine too, Cashy.
I was given one as a present when I was working....someone thought I might just need to call if my car broke down or I got stranded in the snow on the tops by QPH.......I carried it but it was never switched on.....it became a family joke...they could never reach me on my mobile phone.
I told them it was for MY convenience not theirs.

I have a Nokia 6310...old as the hills...in pristine condition. No camera.....it has blue tooth but I have never used it...not sure how to, or whether it would be useful to me.....not sure if it can connect to the internet because all I want it for, is to(rare) make phonecalls. I have had 20 quid of credit on it for 11 months.....that says it all!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:22   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Used to be a saying Press Button B and get your money back, if ya remember Dave you slotted your four pennies into the slow and waited then when they answered whap your thumb on button A to talk
you are right, my memory thought it was the other way round but now I sit and think it deffo was A to talk and B to get money back.

But the general gist was the advances from then to now, and how we take for granted todays technology without a thought for where it came from, and what we had when we were kids, and what kids have today. Prompting the comment "they dont know they are born today". Who remembers having to take down off a nail in the backyard a galvanised tin bath and taking for granted central heating and baths.

Or what about long drop toilets or tumblers at the bottom of the yard next to the "binoil" and coal shed, you didnt read the newspaper in the toilet it was cut into squares and put on a nail at the back of the door. Happy days or were they ?
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:42   #22
God Member

Quote:
Agree ... except I don't think you are being blunt enough; I'm sure you can do better. I don't own one ... have no need. (Altho' I do admire the technologhy). Folks over here are starting to notice the anti-social aspects of social networking. There is a new gambling game some are playing. It goes something like this: say four people go out to dinner, or for drinks. They place their phones in a pile on the table, and the first one to pick up a phone to check messages, or to answer a call or a text has to pay the tab. Answering the damn things, or checking them has become such second nature for many, that someone usually gets caught out and stuck with the bill.

A friend told me once that I should have a phone in case of an emergency. I don't even buy into that argument. After all most of us on here have spent most of our lives successfully dealing with emergencies withhout cell phones.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:43   #23
Beacon of light

Yes, I remember all those things....the long drop, the binoil, the coaloil......the tin bath and filling the copper on Friday night for bath night. reading bits of the newspaper before using it..........!
They were happy days, even if we didn't have much...life was much less complicated, people seemed gentler...more ready to help out if you needed a hand.

I get where you are coming from........technology has influenced so many things, things we could never have dreamed of...but whether life is truly better because of them....well, some things are I suppose. But I wouldn't swap my childhood for the ones that the children of today have.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:44   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Well from my point of view dave,they were very happy days, family never had much, but society in general was much better than now.I.M.H.O.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:46   #25
Beacon of light

Spot on Cashy!
Old 12-01-2012, 13:11   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Spot on Cashy!
Damn right.

We have progressed from newspaper in the outside bog to ... OH MY GOD, I CAN'T LIKE WIPE MY ASS; I DON'T HAVE AN APP FOR IT.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 14:22   #27
Beacon of light

what on earth is an App?
And why would you wipe your bum on an apple? That has to be horrible...especially if you have to eat it later EEEEEwwwwwww!
Sorry....couldn't resist.
Old 12-01-2012, 17:58   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I agree. Mine is only used when I am out (rare) and need a taxi home.

I find it strange that companies assume that you have one.

Today I needed to register on the Royal Mail website to pay import duty on a parcel, which wont be delivered until I pay. The site wouldn't complete my registration until I supplied a mobile number.
That is ridiculous Margaret, what would happen if you didn't have one, or how could you register if you didn't have a computer, not every body have mobiles and computers
Old 12-01-2012, 18:02   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
what on earth is an App?
And why would you wipe your bum on an apple? That has to be horrible...especially if you have to eat it later EEEEEwwwwwww!
Sorry....couldn't resist.
I have to admit I had to ask my Granddaughter what an App was, kept seeing these ads on telly, they're applications granddad doh
Old 12-01-2012, 18:03   #30
Beacon of light

You mean like pile cream...that's an application

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..