Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 18:12   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: fourpence to the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
You mean like pile cream...that's an application
Ya but thats a bum example Margaret
Old 12-01-2012, 18:28   #32
JFT96

Apps, are just another way to get money off us....although I do have one or two at allow me to get the weather at any airport in the world, does come in handy.
That said, I do wish mobile phones had never been invented. I used to have two phones when I lived in Morocco, one was a uk one. Now I still have two, ones a company phone.. B@@@£r

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 18:30   #33
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
you could argue that without the internet you may not have started your research in the first place, or kept it local
Bill Turner & I had all ready spent several weeks down at the Public Record Office, long before things started to become available on the internet.
Life has just got easier this past few years.
Fortunately I have a daughter living in the area so that kept costs down.
Keeping things to local research, would have been ridiculous, it doesn't work that way.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 19:27   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yes, I remember all those things....the long drop, the binoil, the coaloil......the tin bath and filling the copper on Friday night for bath night. reading bits of the newspaper before using it..........!
They were happy days, even if we didn't have much...life was much less complicated, people seemed gentler...more ready to help out if you needed a hand.

I get where you are coming from........technology has influenced so many things, things we could never have dreamed of...but whether life is truly better because of them....well, some things are I suppose. But I wouldn't swap my childhood for the ones that the children of today have.
when we look back at our childhood, and the things we had then, and were happier! would we have felt the same if we had to worry about a mortgage or rent, the leccy and gas bill.

Some things I wish were still here, but I am glad I dont have to put my bum on the bottom of a galvanised bath in winter, or having to take a shovel accross the yard clearing snow before I can perform. (sorry to put that vision in your head)

davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 19:32   #35
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
or having to take a shovel accross the yard clearing snow before I can perform. (sorry to put that vision in your head).
You were singing in the backyard ???
Old 12-01-2012, 19:35   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well from my point of view dave,they were very happy days, family never had much, but society in general was much better than now.I.M.H.O.
just to play devils advocate, the society of today is the society that we have given the world through our children. Have we advanced materially and lost compassion
Old 12-01-2012, 19:37   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
You were singing in the backyard ???
you had to sing, as there was no lock on the privvy door
Old 12-01-2012, 19:42   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Bill Turner & I had all ready spent several weeks down at the Public Record Office, long before things started to become available on the internet.
Life has just got easier this past few years.
Fortunately I have a daughter living in the area so that kept costs down.
Keeping things to local research, would have been ridiculous, it doesn't work that way.

Retlaw
I suppose if you are passionate about something then you pursue it regardless, I have to say I commented without really knowing what it was you were researching or why
Old 12-01-2012, 19:44   #39
Beacon of light

it is Ok Dave.....been there done that.
As for the cold bottom of the tin bath....Ma used to empty a kettle of boiling water into the bath first....the the ladin tin was used to fill it up with water.
The maiden was put around the bath to afford some privacy and also keep the draught off you while you were naked.
Being a girl, I was always allowed to bathe first...with one of the babies....then the lads came in order of muckiness...muckiest was last.
I thought it was lovely sitting in the bath in front of the fire...then cocoa afterwards....and listening to the radio by the light of the fire.
Simple pleasures...we didn't ask for much.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 19:47   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
For those of us with family spread all over the globe, internet is a godsend. You can keep in touch regularly and it doesn't cost too much. You can share almost anything with friends and family on Facebook these days and have video telephone links free.

I remember back in the early 70's, when my Aunt and family emigrated to Canada, phone calls were kept for special occasions -Xmas mainly and you had to book the call. We used to tape and send messages on an early tape recorder - hope the tapes have been destroyed as there were some very embarassing things they made me do such as sing songs and play my clarinet (which I loathed)!

I do hate mobile phones though as they make people very ignorant -they walk around in their own little bubble talking on them anywhere and everywhere. They also use them while driving which is dangerous. You have absolutely no privacy if you carry a mobile phone - they can pick up wherever you've been so you can't get away with anything anymore. No-one ever rings me on mine which is another reason I don't like them
put your number on here and you will never be off the phone, they may be reverse charges though.

Old 12-01-2012, 19:49   #41
Senior Member+

Brilliant that margaret brings back memories of doing the same at me grans before she had the bathroom put in i was about 4 i think its one of my earliest memories happy days
Old 12-01-2012, 19:57   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
As for the cold bottom of the tin bath....Ma used to empty a kettle of boiling water into the bath first....the the ladin tin was used to fill it up with water.
The maiden was put around the bath to afford some privacy and also keep the draught off you while you were naked.
Being a girl, I was always allowed to bathe first...with one of the babies....then the lads came in order of muckiness...muckiest was last.
I thought it was lovely sitting in the bath in front of the fire...then cocoa afterwards....and listening to the radio by the light of the fire.
sounds very similar to our bathing routine, but it was usually sunday night, then we watched Sunday night at the London paladium, on a very small black and white telly with a large oil filled magnifier in front of the screen
Old 12-01-2012, 21:18   #43
Beacon of light

Oh, you must've been posh. We didn't have a telly...just a radio and that ran on gas
No it was Relay Vision one and threepence a week for rental...four programmes.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 21:30   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
sounds very similar to our bathing routine, but it was usually sunday night, then we watched Sunday night at the London paladium, on a very small black and white telly with a large oil filled magnifier in front of the screen
You had a telly back then? jeez yeh musta bin posh, never even had a nail in yard fer our bath, it used to sit ont benk.
Old 12-01-2012, 21:41   #45
God Member

Quote:
I guess I was lucky; I was an only child. Can't remember too much of the cocoa ... but there was Horlicks sometimes. And sometimes spuds tossed into the fire. Peel off the black; add salt; butter or marge if we were flush.

And I still like a maiden around when I'm naked
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..