Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 21:53   #46
Beacon of light

Re: fourpence to the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I guess I was lucky; I was an only child. Can't remember too much of the cocoa ... but there was Horlicks sometimes. And sometimes spuds tossed into the fire. Peel off the black; add salt; butter or marge if we were flush.

And I still like a maiden around when I'm naked
I'll bet you do Eric, but this one was made of wood, held together with webbing and draped with towels...or sometimes washing...not a bit exotic...and I would guess, not the kind that would float your boat.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-01-2012, 22:08   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I'll bet you do Eric, but this one was made of wood, held together with webbing and draped with towels...or sometimes washing...not a bit exotic...and I would guess, not the kind that would float your boat.
I know what a maiden is ... there are still more than a couple of us on here who do ... and the rack: simple stuff; but it worked. Didn't really take up all that much room either.

And these days I'm not all that picky ... first I check for a pulse, then ... mmm ... no, just a pulse; that will do it for me. Sometimes, in other circumstances, all I need to do is check my wallet to see if I have enough cash.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 23:08   #48
Senior Member+

Quote:
Oh, you must've been posh. We didn't have a telly...just a radio and that ran on gas
No it was Relay Vision one and threepence a week for rental...four programmes.
I remember having a radio from relay vision.
I wouldnt say we were posh, it certainly didnt feel like it when I was carrying two potties downstairs. Thats a job I am glad vanished with time.

I have a vivid memory of carrying two potties downstairs and trying to turn the stairs light off with my mouth, those large brown bakalite switches were vicious, it trapped my top lip. I was stuck there with a poe in each hand, lip trapped in switch, now that is really taking the .........put your own word in here.

Now I have told you that I dont want anyone to mention it again as I am still traumatised
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 07:29   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I remember having a radio from relay vision.
I wouldnt say we were posh, it certainly didnt feel like it when I was carrying two potties downstairs. Thats a job I am glad vanished with time.

I have a vivid memory of carrying two potties downstairs and trying to turn the stairs light off with my mouth, those large brown bakalite switches were vicious, it trapped my top lip. I was stuck there with a poe in each hand, lip trapped in switch, now that is really taking the .........put your own word in here.

Now I have told you that I dont want anyone to mention it again as I am still traumatised
Oh for the days when you could just dump them out of the upstairs window onto the folks passing below
Old 13-01-2012, 09:08   #50
God Member

Quote:
put your number on here and you will never be off the phone, they may be reverse charges though.

Haven't seen my mobile phone for a couple of months as my youngest son has nicked it. He's received no calls for me in that time (just a few Xmas/NY messages from my 2 best friends) poor me, nobody loves me

The last time I needed it was when in the UK last Oct. for messaging home -mad panic just as I was leaving for the airport as it had disappeared (blamed son again!). It was found by chance a month later in the basket of my bike. I do carry it with me when out cycling as we're in the middle of the countryside and you never know when you might meet a sex-maniac. No luck so far!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 09:29   #51
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I remember, as one of the first things I did in woodwork lessons, making a maiden and hinged by webbing, in fact when my Dad died back in 2003 we threw it out, think it was past its sell by date
Old 13-01-2012, 09:34   #52
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Haven't seen my mobile phone for a couple of months as my youngest son has nicked it. He's received no calls for me in that time (just a few Xmas/NY messages from my 2 best friends) poor me, nobody loves me

The last time I needed it was when in the UK last Oct. for messaging home -mad panic just as I was leaving for the airport as it had disappeared (blamed son again!). It was found by chance a month later in the basket of my bike. I do carry it with me when out cycling as we're in the middle of the countryside and you never know when you might meet a sex-maniac. No luck so far!
That comment reminds me of what I thought was my ideal woman when I was young, think it had to be a deaf and dumb nymphomaniac who's dad had a pub
Old 13-01-2012, 09:41   #53
Beacon of light

When the guzunder had been emtied, it was washed, dried and turned upside down on the bottom step....and whoever was going upstairs ,it fell to them to take them up and put them in the respective rooms. A posh pot, one decorated with flowers went under Ma and Pa's bed...we had a very utilitarian model....white enamel...that went under the big double bed, that we kids slept in.
My brother was asked to take the jerry's upstairs and was most dischuffed about this........anyway after a long argument and threats from Ma, he took it up.....met the cat coming down, was tripped by the cat and the jerry bounced down the stairs and cracked his napper.......mother said this was divine judgement.
Another of my brothers hated bringing the jerry downstairs and would slop waz on the stairs so that he didn't get asked again......baaaad move....Ma told him if he did that again she would make him lick it up.....she gave him a bowl of hot water a brush and a chunk of carbolic soap to clean up the mess........the stairs were wood and uncarpeted at the time.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 13-01-2012 at 09:43.
Old 13-01-2012, 09:56   #54
God Member

Quote:

Oh, poor baby ... just nip into the nearest men's bog, and write on the wall: "For a good time, call ... " and put down your number Oh, and make it an up-scale bog; you don't want a bunch of calls from low-life scum like me.
Old 13-01-2012, 10:38   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
When the guzunder had been emtied, it was washed, dried and turned upside down on the bottom step....and whoever was going upstairs ,it fell to them to take them up and put them in the respective rooms. A posh pot, one decorated with flowers went under Ma and Pa's bed...we had a very utilitarian model....white enamel...that went under the big double bed, that we kids slept in.
My brother was asked to take the jerry's upstairs and was most dischuffed about this........anyway after a long argument and threats from Ma, he took it up.....met the cat coming down, was tripped by the cat and the jerry bounced down the stairs and cracked his napper.......mother said this was divine judgement.
Another of my brothers hated bringing the jerry downstairs and would slop waz on the stairs so that he didn't get asked again......baaaad move....Ma told him if he did that again she would make him lick it up.....she gave him a bowl of hot water a brush and a chunk of carbolic soap to clean up the mess........the stairs were wood and uncarpeted at the time.
You can still buy these jerries but they are in antique shops, I didnt think at the time that they would be collectors items. Can you imagine the kids of today having to use, and empty one of those.
Old 13-01-2012, 10:41   #56
Senior Member+

Quote:

The advice still holds, put your number on here and you will never lose it again, as it will be ringing all the time.
Old 13-01-2012, 10:59   #57
Beacon of light

Quote:
You can still buy these jerries but they are in antique shops, I didnt think at the time that they would be collectors items. Can you imagine the kids of today having to use, and empty one of those.
I know what the children of today would say...it goes something like thise 'eeeeeewwwwww, totally GROSS'
Old 13-01-2012, 11:10   #58
God Member

Quote:
I know what the children of today would say...it goes something like thise 'eeeeeewwwwww, totally GROSS'
"Like" should be in there somewhere, and maybe "OH MY GOD"
Old 13-01-2012, 11:19   #59
God Member

Quote:
Luckily I never had the pleasure of having to use one.

They make nice plant pots these days.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 13-01-2012, 11:22   #60
God Member

Returning to bath-time routines as Margaret described - I remember Mum telling me that very often, when lads used to call asking her out, she'd send my Gran with the message that she had to stay in as she'd washed her hair if it was such-n-such who she didn't like.

It was a good excuse back then as there were no hair-dryers and she had to sit in front of the fire all evening to get it dry!

~ D. H. Lawrence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..