Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-01-2012, 06:45   #106
Give, give, give member

Re: fourpence to the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
And so "nigger" is still accepted on here.. what if I called my dog a gay black queer?
You have a poodle?

All begining to make sense.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-01-2012, 06:49   #107
Give, give, give member

Quote:
And so "nigger" is still accepted on here?
Don't know.

Suppose it depends on how many young black members there are.

They're the ones who've reclaimed that word, and affectionately call each other by that name.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 09:08   #108
Beacon of light

Quote:
what if I called my dog a gay black queer?

You are going to look a bit daft when shouting for it in the park....unless you abbreviate it and call it GBQ.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 09:35   #109
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Don't think it matters what they call the dog. The new movie will be Hollywood action bs ... the old one is art, like the Cockleshell Heroes. For some reason I prefer black and white movies. Am I being maudlin, old fashioned, silly, fuddy; or is there something a tad more artisitic in black and white? I think I'll trust your judgement on this one.
Just wondering how they'll be able to work it that the Yanks were the ones actually did the Dam Buster raids, well they did win the war single handed didn't they
Old 15-01-2012, 13:21   #110
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
And so "nigger" is still accepted on here.. what if I called my dog a gay black queer?
Not really a matter of being accepted, the word still is & will continue to be in use in many parts of the World, it is the context & the person using the term that causes an issue it seems.

As to calling your Dog "gay black Queer" fill yer boots it's your Dog. I also believe it used to be called "the right to free speech" to say what you want without being condemned as some kind of "ist" or "phobe", after all they are only words, they aren't being directed at anyone specifically (unless you count your Dog) but just try it & see what happens in our happy land of diversity & equality.

It's a funny old World isn't it, where one mans words are racist, yet another mans right to free speech.
Old 15-01-2012, 14:36   #111
God Member

Oh for the days when _ . .. _ _ . _ _ . . . _ . wasn't a racial slur; when all it meant was "Hey, we just punched a big hole in the Mohne Damn."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 14:42   #112
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Just wondering how they'll be able to work it that the Yanks were the ones actually did the Dam Buster raids, well they did win the war single handed didn't they
The only conflict the yanks have won single handed in recent history is Grenada Amazing how they win anything with the army they have. Here's one I like:

Old 15-01-2012, 14:53   #113
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Not really a matter of being accepted, the word still is & will continue to be in use in many parts of the World, it is the context & the person using the term that causes an issue it seems.

As to calling your Dog "gay black Queer" fill yer boots it's your Dog. I also believe it used to be called "the right to free speech" to say what you want without being condemned as some kind of "ist" or "phobe", after all they are only words, they aren't being directed at anyone specifically (unless you count your Dog) but just try it & see what happens in our happy land of diversity & equality.

It's a funny old World isn't it, where one mans words are racist, yet another mans right to free speech.
It's all "sticks and stones" Dave and everything is relative. My Indian neighbours told me when I met them 6 years that to them I look like a Barbie doll- perhaps I should have been offended. I am not inanimate or plastic but to them I looked pinkish with big eyes, small nose and mouth and I had long blonde hair back then!

As to Mancie and his theoretical doggie - I tried Googling the name -you should see what comes up - you don't happen to have that video on your shelf by any chance, do you? Otherwise how did you come up with it

To get back on thread - how did it veer off so drastically? - video was a godsend once over. I have a collection of hundreds - perhaps they'll be worth something in the future as vinyl records are now. Satellite TV is another great technology -anyone remember the old test-cards?

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 15:42   #114
Beacon of light

Remember them? I was in one of them.....my dad was a keen amateur photographer and he used to play around with pictures(well, it was better than playing a round of golf) He put a picture of me as a little girl in the Test Card picture.......the one thet had the child with the doll in it.....not the original black and white jobbies.
I have looked high and low for that pic, but I can't find it...or I would have put it on here.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 15:47   #115
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
It's all "sticks and stones" Dave and everything is relative. My Indian neighbours told me when I met them 6 years that to them I look like a Barbie doll- perhaps I should have been offended. I am not inanimate or plastic but to them I looked pinkish with big eyes, small nose and mouth and I had long blonde hair back then!

As to Mancie and his theoretical doggie - I tried Googling the name -you should see what comes up - you don't happen to have that video on your shelf by any chance, do you? Otherwise how did you come up with it

To get back on thread - how did it veer off so drastically? - video was a godsend once over. I have a collection of hundreds - perhaps they'll be worth something in the future as vinyl records are now. Satellite TV is another great technology -anyone remember the old test-cards?
I remember the test cards ... but I really liked the London to Brighton in four minutes thingy. And the interlude scene: drifting down a river I think.
Old 15-01-2012, 15:56   #116
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
oh for the days when _ . .. _ _ . _ _ . . . _ . Wasn't a racial slur; when all it meant was "hey, we just punched a big hole in the mohne damn.":d
.-- . . -.. .-.. -.. --- -. .
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 16:13   #117
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
The only conflict the yanks have won single handed in recent history is Grenada Amazing how they win anything with the army they have. Here's one I like:

Watched that on TV last night Eric, have seen it before but it a good film
Old 15-01-2012, 16:16   #118
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
.-- . . -.. .-.. -.. --- -. .
Sure thats spelt right Dave
Old 15-01-2012, 21:02   #119
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Sure thats spelt right Dave
hope so , or I will look really silly, or should I say, more than I usually do
Old 15-01-2012, 21:22   #120
Senior Member+

Anyway to get back on thread, is it :

red phone box...or... smartphones.

Getting up to turn the telly over...or...remote controls.

black and white telly with two channels...or...100's of channels with a lot of repeats

coal fires...or...central heating.

box brownies...or...digital cameras

what about the stuff that was never thought about when I was a nipper, computers, sat navs, mp3 players, dvd players, digital recorders,microwaves, and many more... could we do without them

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..