Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2012, 13:42   #91
Resting in Peace

Re: fourpence to the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
And you have to ask the question......were we damaged by all this politically incorrect stuff?
I don't think we were...do you?
I actually don't think we would be now but for all the dogooding numpties about, they seem to see things which don't exist, these people must lead a very boring lives if all they have to do all day is walk around wondering what might offend others who in truth don't actually give a damn
Old 14-01-2012, 13:48   #92
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Of Course they are before your time Dianne...you have to remember that me 'n Cashy(or should that be Cashy and I) are old enough to be your parents .
....and I am older than the pair of them (not added together).

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 14:59   #93
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I used to love the Black and White Minstrel Show and used to watch it with my Golly from the Robinsons Jar, but alas no more
It was a tradition when over at my Grandparents on Saturday evening to watch the B&W Minstrels. Used to collect the Gollies too with all the Golden shred marmalade we used to eat!

Didn't turn me into a raving loony racist (I mean, after all, I did marry an I-Tie!)- oh, and I loved the story of Little Black Sambo which they read us in first year juniors too. It is a Victorian classic story -what kids would not enjoy a tale of a boy outwitting some tigers and the idea of them running round and round until they turned into a pool of butter,imaginative stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Story_of_Little_Black_Sambo.jpg (28.9 KB, 2 views)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 16:35   #94
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
It was a tradition when over at my Grandparents on Saturday evening to watch the B&W Minstrels. Used to collect the Gollies too with all the Golden shred marmalade we used to eat!

Didn't turn me into a raving loony racist (I mean, after all, I did marry an I-Tie!)- oh, and I loved the story of Little Black Sambo which they read us in first year juniors too. It is a Victorian classic story -what kids would not enjoy a tale of a boy outwitting some tigers and the idea of them running round and round until they turned into a pool of butter,imaginative stuff.
Be careful what you say, who knows where the thought police are these days
Old 14-01-2012, 17:16   #95
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
When you go back and look at the stuff you were watching as a kid you dont realise how politicaly incorrect they are in todays society
It wasn't politically incorrect it was everyday, it's only in these later years that "Political Correctness" has become such an issue due to certain elements of our "modern enlightened society".

Makes me want to puke, whining liberals, apologists & others who want to wipe everything about our past & history into oblivion by focussing only on the negative.
Old 14-01-2012, 22:17   #96
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
It wasn't politically incorrect it was everyday, it's only in these later years that "Political Correctness" has become such an issue due to certain elements of our "modern enlightened society".

Makes me want to puke, whining liberals, apologists & others who want to wipe everything about our past & history into oblivion by focussing only on the negative.
A football commentator (I think) recently got into trouble for saying coloured instead of black when refering to a footballer, I dont think the offence is in the word, just in the way it is applied.
I remember my grandma had a black labradore called blackie, you darent call a dog that nowadays
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 22:29   #97
God Member

Quote:
A football commentator (I think) recently got into trouble for saying coloured instead of black when refering to a footballer, I dont think the offence is in the word, just in the way it is applied.
I remember my grandma had a black labradore called blackie, you darent call a dog that nowadays
Not to mention Guy Gibson's dog:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigger_(dog)

I guess in some versions of the movie you had to know morse code in order to be offended.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 22:37   #98
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post

I guess in some versions of the movie you had to know morse code in order to be offended.
She also had a dog called that (not at the same time) but I gibbed at saying that
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 22:53   #99
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Not forgetting his wife, Slag.

Though it's rumored the chocolate brown dog will be called Digger, she'll be called Eve, in the remake of The Dam Busters.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 23:03   #100
God Member

Quote:
She also had a dog called that (not at the same time) but I gibbed at saying that
Frankly, I don't give a rat's ass what folks call their dogs, as long as they take care of them.

Maybe Gibson's VC should be taken away ... posthumously, obviously. (But that's the way many of them were awarded in the first place. ) The squareheads would support that.

Trouble with pcism is that it nibbles at the convenient edges of a problem. Doesn't tackle the problem itself. That requires real effort and big balls.

Now, I'm going back to google to find out more about Nigger's ghost. Fascinating stuff.
Old 14-01-2012, 23:10   #101
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Not forgetting his wife, Slag.

Though it's rumored the chocolate brown dog will be called Digger, she'll be called Eve, in the remake of The Dam Busters.

Don't think it matters what they call the dog. The new movie will be Hollywood action bs ... the old one is art, like the Cockleshell Heroes. For some reason I prefer black and white movies. Am I being maudlin, old fashioned, silly, fuddy; or is there something a tad more artisitic in black and white? I think I'll trust your judgement on this one.
Old 14-01-2012, 23:13   #102
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Frankly, I don't give a rat's ass what folks call their dogs, as long as they take care of them.

Maybe Gibson's VC should be taken away ... posthumously, obviously. (But that's the way many of them were awarded in the first place. ) The squareheads would support that.

Trouble with pcism is that it nibbles at the convenient edges of a problem. Doesn't tackle the problem itself. That requires real effort and big balls.

Now, I'm going back to google to find out more about Nigger's ghost. Fascinating stuff.
Well blow me.

I always thought ol' Nig was a brown labrador, but he was black!

Nigger (dog) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You just can't trust those old blac, er....non-technicolor movies.

Old 14-01-2012, 23:17   #103
Give, give, give member

Poor Nigger's grave.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg niggers_grave_large.jpg (254.0 KB, 7 views)

Old 15-01-2012, 00:54   #104
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Poor Nigger's grave.

I put poor Nigger's grave on my desktop. It's the Labrador thing ... the Canadian connection
Old 15-01-2012, 02:08   #105
God Member

And so "nigger" is still accepted on here.. what if I called my dog a gay black queer?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..