Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-01-2012, 06:20   #136
Beacon of light

Re: fourpence to the future

I have done all of those things with my pictures.......and I put them on disk for Ma to look at on her big TV....much easier for her to see.

I have some of my pics on a little multi media device.....a sort of pocket 'brag book'.
I would not be able to afford to have all the pictures I take printed out(if we were still using film camera's). Theother thing about digital pic is ....editing. You can do so much more with them. It adds a dimension to photography that amateur photographers could not previously access.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-01-2012, 12:03   #137
Senior Member+

Photoscape - Download

I use this program to edit my piccies, its free and does everything you could possibly want, cropping, cloning, colour enhance, and thousands of other things. If this program doesnt do it, you probably should not be doing it.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 12:12   #138
Beacon of light

I use Picnik which is also Free......and more importantly, very easy to use.

http://www.picnik.com/

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 17-01-2012 at 12:13. Reason: to add a link
Old 17-01-2012, 13:13   #139
Senior Member+

had a look, is this an online function where you upload photos or do you download a program?
Old 17-01-2012, 13:32   #140
Beacon of light

It is an online function...originally it was to edit pics on Flickr...but now it is available for non Flickr users too.
You can pay for an upgraded version...now, whether this has a download feature....I'm not sure.
I have Corel Paintshop Pro and a Ulead program too(these are fine, but a bit complicated for an occasional user/beginner)
Old 17-01-2012, 14:05   #141
Beacon of light

Here are two pics edited in Picnik.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jenny Wren too..jpg (223.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Black and white and red.jpg (331.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 17-01-2012, 14:39   #142
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Letters are more exciting than emails.

As long as they don't come in brown envelopes.

Agreed ... come to think of it, I think I'll start writing letters again. I'm off today to buy myself a new fountain pen.

Maybe it's time to start questioning "progress" ... not just the developing and refining of technology, but whether or not we are progressing as a species. I believe that one can marshall arguments that we haven't changed fudamentally, only in the superficials. Given that we are a curious, clever, and inventive animal, all the miracles of science and technology that we ooh and aah over are, when you come to think of it, inevitable. As Bernard of Chartres put it, we are dwarfs standing on the shoulders of giants. Most of us, those in the first world anyway, smell better, live longer (although with 7 billion of us on the planet this might not be a good idea), and have better toys; but we are still intolerant, violent, warlike, and territorial. And I question whether developing the ability to make ourselves and millions of other species extinct, is "progress".
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 15:39   #143
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Here are two pics edited in Picnik.
thats an interesting effect, I dont think mine will do that but have to say never looked as its not an effect I have thought of before
Old 17-01-2012, 16:03   #144
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Letters are more exciting than emails.

As long as they don't come in brown envelopes.

Received one today which I'd been waiting for, but it was a nice one - it was sent on 29th Dec. and contained my Downton Abbey Xmas special CD. Managed to watch half of it then hubby arrived home unexpectedly early and took over the remote control!

So much for progress and female emancipation - the only way forward is separate TVs methinks!

He's watching a "godawful" action movie and pulls his face because I prefer to come on the computer and don't keep him company...I stick to my guns on this though

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 16:29   #145
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Agreed ... come to think of it, I think I'll start writing letters again. I'm off today to buy myself a new fountain pen.

Maybe it's time to start questioning "progress" ... not just the developing and refining of technology, but whether or not we are progressing as a species. I believe that one can marshall arguments that we haven't changed fudamentally, only in the superficials. Given that we are a curious, clever, and inventive animal, all the miracles of science and technology that we ooh and aah over are, when you come to think of it, inevitable. As Bernard of Chartres put it, we are dwarfs standing on the shoulders of giants. Most of us, those in the first world anyway, smell better, live longer (although with 7 billion of us on the planet this might not be a good idea), and have better toys; but we are still intolerant, violent, warlike, and territorial. And I question whether developing the ability to make ourselves and millions of other species extinct, is "progress".
Still have my Waterman fountain pen which I got for going into first year at Paddock house - my handwriting is so much better when i use it instead of a biro.

Interesting post the rest of what you've written Eric - demographic control is probably going to become the way forward at some point (controversial I know but it will become a necessity).

All this musing on progress, change and the past is making an idea for a new thread form in my mind - will have to keep musing and work out how to put it down. Watch out for it in the next day or so - will expect you to come up with an interesting answer!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 13:16   #146
God Member

now I'm a tad younger than most of the posters on this thread but I take a slightly different view. I'm a full on techy as most of you know, a comment further up about how you can share pictures around the world once you have downloaded them on the computer yet my smartphone will automagically upload my picture seconds after it was taken with full geo-tags so anyone viewing knows exactly where it was taken etc.

However I also take pride in using old technology with new technology where it can enhance things. The best pictures I've taken on my Digital SLR were through classic lenses that are older than me. For a long time I used a Valve amplifier as the sound side of my then bleeding edge PC.

I love classic cars for their looks and lack of computers/power steering/stuff that gets in the way of the driving experience but I'd love to take an old car and replace some the engine/drivetrain with a nice modern reliable, ecoconomical unit. A nice 63 Zodiac with a BMW M5 drivetrain please!!!!

So I guess I'm saying dont look to dismiss "old stuff" when you can use it to enhance something new and shiny!

and Margaret, I reckon you should rent/buy a tin bath and re-enact your memory even if its just for one last time. then again the hassle of filling/emptying it etc might diminish your rose-viewed memory of the event....

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 13:23   #147
Beacon of light

entwisi, if it is me to whom you are referring.......then I think that you have misread or misunderstood my post. I know exactly what it was like to fill that tin bath....and I do not view it through rose tinted spectacles. It was something that I experienced because that was how life was at the time....the alternative was going down to the slipper baths......not something that was any more practical than the method employed at the time.....and we didn't know any better.
I was painting a picture with words, because I know there are many members on here that will have no concept of what it was like to have your weekly bath in front of the fire.
Give me my comfortable four piece bathroom with water that goes down the plug hole every time.

Oh yes, and the fact that bath time/shower time can be every day or more frequently is a big added bonus too.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 18-01-2012 at 13:26.
Old 18-01-2012, 22:45   #148
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
now I'm a tad younger than most of the posters on this thread but I take a slightly different view. I'm a full on techy as most of you know, a comment further up about how you can share pictures around the world once you have downloaded them on the computer yet my smartphone will automagically upload my picture seconds after it was taken with full geo-tags so anyone viewing knows exactly where it was taken etc.

However I also take pride in using old technology with new technology where it can enhance things. The best pictures I've taken on my Digital SLR were through classic lenses that are older than me. For a long time I used a Valve amplifier as the sound side of my then bleeding edge PC.

I love classic cars for their looks and lack of computers/power steering/stuff that gets in the way of the driving experience but I'd love to take an old car and replace some the engine/drivetrain with a nice modern reliable, ecoconomical unit. A nice 63 Zodiac with a BMW M5 drivetrain please!!!!

So I guess I'm saying dont look to dismiss "old stuff" when you can use it to enhance something new and shiny!

and Margaret, I reckon you should rent/buy a tin bath and re-enact your memory even if its just for one last time. then again the hassle of filling/emptying it etc might diminish your rose-viewed memory of the event....
I dont think anyone who had to endure a tin bath looks back with fond memories, I had to get it down off a nail in the back yard, there was nothing else at the time. but I dont wish to go back there. But it made me who I am today.

One day you will be saying to your kids "I can remember a time when we only had one car" and "We could only afford two holidays a year", also you dont know you are born today, hover boots, we never had hover boots, and put your jet pack back in the garage when you have finished with it.

You mark my words
Old 19-01-2012, 00:09   #149

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;963239]entwisi, if it is me to whom you are referring.......then I think that you have misread or misunderstood my post. I know exactly what it was like to fill that tin bath....and I do not view it through rose tinted spectacles. It was something that I experienced because that was how life was at the time....the alternative was going down to the slipper baths......

Yes Margaret,you are right,once a week get scrubbed in the tin bath (under the laundry drying above)
Stevie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 00:46   #150
God Member

[quote=Stevie R;963390]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
entwisi, if it is me to whom you are referring.......then I think that you have misread or misunderstood my post. I know exactly what it was like to fill that tin bath....and I do not view it through rose tinted spectacles. It was something that I experienced because that was how life was at the time....the alternative was going down to the slipper baths......

Yes Margaret,you are right,once a week get scrubbed in the tin bath (under the laundry drying above)
The rack was also a great place to dry sage for the stuffing. And scrubbing it was; none of this body wash (organic or otherwise) ... no scented soap ... just a good old scrubbing with brush, loofa, and the dreaded pumice stone for that hard to get rid of ground in dirt.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..