Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2007, 23:51   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: International Women's Week 2007

Of course there are still injustices in the world. Terrible things that happen to men, women and children, of every race colour and creed, every single day, both in this country and abroad.

I still don't think gender specific organisations are the way to fight them though. I believe they should be tackled through inclusive organisations, that don't alienate a whole load of people who might otherwise be sympathetic to the cause. That's not taking into account any backlash from the people who feel they aren't being included. That I'm afraid is human nature. People fear what they don't know, and they can't begin to know or understand if they aren't made to feel a part of something.

Again, I'd also level this criticism at any gender specific organisation, like Fathers for Justice for instance. Even though a whole generation of men in this country are being treated appallingly by the British justice system, in regard to having fair and legal access to parent their children.

I could also list a whole load of links relating to male rape in the UK, or the killing and execution of homosexual men in Islamic countries. But if anyone started a Gay Men Against Islamic Torture, I'd also criticise them for alienating women, straight men, or whoever else, from perhaps also joining the campaign.

Cruelty, violence, and injustice in the world aren't confined to any specfic gender, colour or creed. They sadly apply to everyone, and everyone should be encouraged to fight it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-03-2007, 10:19   #17
God Member

Yes, but you can't highlight all injustices in one sweeping statement like that.

For instance, blind people in the UK get a raw deal some times, are you saying that there should be no charity that supports the blind people. You can't lump all people with disability together because they're all different.

And by the same token, all the injustices in the world are different.

Hyndburn Women's Forum (and I personally don't like the name that much for a few reasons - it limits it to Hyndburn, it gives men a wrong impression of it and it doesn't really do much talking which is what a forum should be), however, it was formed before I joined, it was based in Hyndburn, by women, to get women talking to each other.

Its aims are to celebrate International Women's Day - this is not something that HWF started, it's a multinational event and the giveaway is in the title - it's got women in mind!

As I've said, many times, you can't be all things to all people at all times. But, you can put on as many different events and activities so that in the grand scheme of things there is something for everyone.

We don't preclude men from the meetings, we don't preclude them from the events but I don't see the harm in having the events in the first place and having them targetted towards women - that's just marketing when it all boils down to it. I wouldn't organise a wrestling match under the HWF banner because it wouldn't appeal to the audience.

And yes, your final point about cruelty, violence and injustice not being confined to any specific gender is of course correct, they do apply to everyone and we should be encouraged to fight it but we can't fight it all in the same way and at the same time by the same people - it dilutes the arguments and confuses the issue.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:04   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
For instance, blind people in the UK get a raw deal some times, are you saying that there should be no charity that supports the blind people.
Of course I agree, but as stated earlier my worry is that groups formed along the lines of gender, colour, or creed, excludes and alienates people, for instance a black lesbian blind charity. As daft as it sounds, very similar groups to that do actually exist.

Like I said, it's nothing personal, and I wish you luck with the events. My ctiticisms would also, and have, been voiced, about other exclusive and separatist organisations. Gay ones being my particular bug bear. I totally believe that integration is the way forward for everyone.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:23   #19
I am Banned

I have to agree with rindy, likes of domestic violence is usually subject lined to women victims, but domestic violence week supports both genders altho there is good support for women victims, male DV is recognised altho maybe more support for them should be balanced as with anything tables do swing round. PMSFL at the link you posted for mens week very interesting LOL!!!

Mind u if everything was a week celebration then surely the year needs to be extended hehehehehehhe
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..