Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-10-2008, 13:40   #1

Pub Quiz in Great Harwood

9pm to 11pm every Wednesday at the Victoria Hotel (Butcher Brig) in Great Harwood. Prize isn't huge, so don't come expecting elitist questions; but there's fine beer, good company, and everyone enjoys the opportunity to make the quizmaster look a complete t*t.

Picture rounds are handed out at 9pm ish, depending how hard I make them (sample attached is an easy one)

I try my best to get the quiz underway by 9:30: Forty questions in two sessions. The first session is usually made up of categories suggested by players the previous week, but not this week because I'm returning after a short break.

The quiz is funded by a raffle during the break, which pays for the raffle prize, quiz prize, and mid-session food. Depending on the week you come, the snack will be one of:
Sautéed veal with couscous
Penne Arrabiata
Lobster Thermidor
Sandwiches and pork pies
Chip butties

Question 40 is always set by Sam, my nine-year-old son. An example, with a bit of added artistic licence from me, is:
In the film Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade- what was the chisel-jawed, whip-cracking, sweaty-arsed grave robber actually trying to find?

Prize is £10 for the first placed team and £5 for the runner up team.

Note that the Google map on their website has the pushpin in the wrong place. The pub is on the little loop at the end of St John's road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20080827.jpg (248.5 KB, 47 views)

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-10-2008, 17:22   #2

Re: Pub Quiz in Great Harwood

what's lobster thermidor??
Old 29-10-2008, 22:17   #3
Senior Member+

BBC - Food - Recipes - Lobster thermidor

May try the quiz one night. Sounds great.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 14:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybrown_10 View Post
what's lobster thermidor??
I hope you realise I was being a bit naughty. The mid-quiz snack is rarely more extravagant than hot dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
May try the quiz one night. Sounds great.
I'll put one of the older quizzes in the "games" section.You can see if the questions are for you, that way.

When all the questions have been answered, I'll add the answers to this picture round on the end of that thread. I'd love to bump this thread once a week, but thread bumping isn't allowed here (I think) so I'll just need to start an occasional new thread promoting the quiz.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..