Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2006, 13:51   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

The monthly meets a brief History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
Mez how did you decide on sat for the meet day? did you just say were having the meet on saturday or was it discussed? . Everybody here (my home town)complains they're already doing something on saturdays, but I can't see anyone wanting to go on a thursday.
Here's a quick History for you Mad'

The meets started off when a few of us, (sometimes referred to as the accy mafia or 'the clique'), had the first accyweb Christmas party (organised by Mez and Mick), shortly afterwards, it was suggested that we have a more regular get together to fit the faces to the people posting and that this could be from 2.00 in the afternoons on Sunday for a couple of hours.

The meets grew in popularity however the length of them soon got to include Sunday evenings as no-one wanted to go home. This proved a lttle disasterous for the local economy as it lead to alot of accywebbers not turning up for work on a Monday!

Due to this it was decide amongst us that we move it to the last Saturday Evening of each month at the same time the 'accyweb meetings', had the name changed to 'accyweb meets' because a meeting sounds like it's going to be something official instead of what it actually is which is an unofficial p*ss-up.

Mez and Mick, I feel deserve a great deal of thanks for keeping the meets going in the way that they do.

The only rule for the meets being 'No matter how you argue on site, a meet is for us all to get together and enjoy ourselves'.

The agenda for them is:-
Talk about anything you like, not just computers and the site, but remember the rule.

I believe the next meet will be on the 27th of May at the Stag and all accyweb members that can make it are always welcome and if your a first timer to one of these meets, once you have announced your arrival to the rest of us within about five minutes you will feel like you have always known the others.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-05-2006, 16:58   #2
mez
God Member

Re: The monthly meets a brief History

Thanks less for the brief history ...the past pictures in the gallery should also help,you got the date right less, but the venue is different this time . annoucement due .
Old 06-05-2006, 17:54   #3
Resident Waffler

It seems like ages since we managed to get to one. I hope we can make the next one.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 17:55   #4
Len
God Member

Brilliant description Less.
They really are a good crack. You’ll be surprised when you actually meet the people that you've been arguing (debating?) with when you find that they are no different than yourself, just ordinary people.
Everyone is welcome just take the plunge and go for it.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 19:06   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
what it actually is which is an unofficial p*ss-up.
I thought it was an official **** up and drinking too much was compulsory.
Old 06-05-2006, 23:43   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I thought it was an official **** up and drinking too much was compulsory.
No, Neil if it was 'official' most of us would never turn up!

Also we need a few 'soft drinks', users to turn up just to remind the rest of us what sort of fools we made of ourselves at the last meeting!

By the way due to the generosity of the other accywebbers at these meets, this chronicler may have suffered a few lapses in memory causing a few errors, one of which I will correct now.
The first Christmas meet was all Micks fault in the organising, it was only after this that Mez volunteered? (was pushed), into arranging the others.

For those statistically minded,
The venue for it was at the Oak Tree on Blackburn road and the total number of members that attended was nine! Which was excellent because we had thirteen raffle prizes ensuring that each of us went home with at least one prize!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:28   #7
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Aaah, what memories!!! I still have my raffle prize from the first meet somewhere. If I remember rightly it was on a Sunday night. The Oak Tree was dangerously close to running out of beer as the bar staff did not know how to change a barrel. Tealeaf came in and saved the day by changing it and the beer flowed all night. There was a little buffet with sarnies and jammy wagon wheels. We all wore a name tag that night because some of us had never met and we thought it would be easier than just having to keep introducing ourselves over and over again.

Of course, we don't bother with the name tag thing now. I can't read or speak after a few Strongbows anyway, so there's no point for me. After the first 'meeting' where there were only a few of us, the meet ups have taken off and attract quite a crowd..........We even have a mascot..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:00   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
.....We even have a mascot..
Who or what is the mascot?
Old 07-05-2006, 11:33   #9
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Hehehe, it's Barry from the Stag....

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 13:55   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:

The man that licks my face, and told me I reminded him of a boy he met in New York in the 50's, when he was in the navy.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 21:06   #11

Anyone noticed that Rindy's avatar looks like Pendy?
Old 07-05-2006, 21:11   #12
God Member

I can verify that the meets are great fun. The only thing to do is remember not to carry any arguments/debates over into real life.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 00:35   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

agree with gayle the meets are good fun, and i love to pop by for a couple of hours if poss,some great folk and some great pi** heads.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:44   #14
God Member

Ian looks around to see who Cashman is referring too

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 13:17   #15
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah
Anyone noticed that Rindy's avatar looks like Pendy?
Thanks a bunch!!! - shall I wear a bag over my head at the next meet????
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..