Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Anything Goes (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f71/)
-   -   Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f71/beijing-olympics-opening-ceremony-41699.html)

Padiham Lass 08-08-2008 14:36

Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony

I've just spent the last 2 hours watching the live TV coverage of the Opening Ceremony from the Olympics in Beijing.

I'm not sure what level of coverage it will get in the UK, but if you get the opportunity to see it, you cannot fail to be impressed.

The London 2012 team will certainly have a hard act to follow.:hothothot

Benipete 08-08-2008 15:51

Re: Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony

Quote:

Originally Posted by Padiham Lass (Post 616486)
I've just spent the last 2 hours watching the live TV coverage of the Opening Ceremony from the Olympics in Beijing.

I'm not sure what level of coverage it will get in the UK, but if you get the opportunity to see it, you cannot fail to be impressed.

The London 2012 team will certainly have a hard act to follow.:hothothot

Just spent2hours avoiding it and will for the next 2 weeks:hidewall::sleep8::sleep8:

jaysay 08-08-2008 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 616501)
Just spent2hours avoiding it and will for the next 2 weeks:hidewall::sleep8::sleep8:

Me too beni I'v been watching Cricket:D

cashman 08-08-2008 15:54

make that 3,:D

MargaretR 08-08-2008 15:54

Quote:

.....me too......
and football starts soon as well :(

Less 08-08-2008 15:56

Quote:

I can predict you'll spend a lot longer than 2 hours avoiding it and being a helpful and loyal friend I'll share the effort of not watching.

P.S. I have declared my house an Olympics free zone so don't call around here to discuss it, I will show you something heavier than a Chinese tank to take your mind off it!
:p

Less 08-08-2008 16:23

I give you all fair warning, if someone comes on here when the gymnastics are on and say's something along the lines of, "Miss Baggypants was a wonderful performer", they will be reported to the authorities!:eek:

Benipete 08-08-2008 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 616505)
I can predict you'll spend a lot longer than 2 hours avoiding it and being a helpful and loyal friend I'll share the effort of not watching.

P.S. I have declared my house an Olympics free zone so don't call around here to discuss it, I will show you something heavier than a Chinese tank to take your mind off it!
:p

Not much of an effort,you 'aint got a telly.

I may tune in to watch the Iraqi pass - the - parcel team:uzi:

pipinfort 08-08-2008 17:35

Bad timing for them there olly-imp-ics...do they not realise that the beautiful game returns tomorrow......?:confused:

Eric 08-08-2008 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipinfort (Post 616546)
Bad timing for them there olly-imp-ics...do they not realise that the beautiful game returns tomorrow......?:confused:

... and that the hockey season is just around the corner:D

katex 08-08-2008 18:15

What a load of grouchers you are !

I admit to watching the whole 4 hours of it and was absolutely magnificent, the lighting of the torch was the ultimate finale and very emotional.

You cannot but admire the enthusiasm of the Chinese population to welcome the world to their city. Ok.. know they have been sheltered against any political ramifications, but the costumes, fireworks and technical images were 5-star.

I am not sure that it is all necessary though, seems a little exorbitant sometimes, and very competitive between the host cities. I am sure we will make a decent contribution in 2012 with not so much military precision of thousands of bodies (15,000), which was a little over the top at times. Felt proud of Sarah Brightman .. lovely performance.

Eric .. you can watch your ice hockey every year, this is only 16 days, every four years of the world's best athletes.. :p

maxwell silver 08-08-2008 18:16

Well i watched it for 5 mins & totally enthralled the cat was too:DIt meeowed to me that the fat china man couldnt keep up with the unfurling banner type thing 100ft in the air....then the banner could'nt keep up with him:eek:Nice fireworks though .....cats estimate over 5 million quids worth over here....£25 over in Bejing.Whens the dominoes?

steeljack 08-08-2008 18:31

you folks are lucky , you have been given the chance to watch it live or not , here in the "land of the free" the TV company with the broadcasting rights have decided only to show the opening ceremony on tape delay in prime time , that is this evening , meaning the folks on the east coast (New York) will get over 12 hours late , and us on the west coast (California) will have to wait over 15 hours ........what a load of rubbish .....this from a country who's President is calling for human rights and more freedom . Just prooves that censorship is okay providing greed and money is involved. :mad: :mad:
reminds me of watching the newsreels in the cinema during the 50s.

katex 08-08-2008 18:35

Well, Bush and his lady got to see it live at least ... :D

tosh 08-08-2008 18:54

London cant compete with Beijing in 2012 they will have some guy shouting ready, steady, go. and that will be it.