Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Anything Goes (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f71/)
-   -   New Members (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f71/new-members-65939.html)

maxthecollie 28-03-2014 09:16

New Members

Why do new members post and get a lot of welcomes, but do not seem to post anymore. Do we scare them off?

cashman 28-03-2014 09:28

Re: New Members

Why do fish swim? its always been the case, just human nature i imagine.:)

westendlass 28-03-2014 09:30

I think some people must like reading the posts without wanting to contribute to the topics. Either that or they lost interest and don't bother anymore. Their loss!

Big Dave 28-03-2014 09:35

Perhaps its due to threads like Globe bowling club and the reaction the newish members are getting from that

Less 28-03-2014 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 1100044)
Perhaps its due to threads like Globe bowling club and the reaction the newish members are getting from that

Doubtful, some new members never post, some new members come on post and have respect for the site and it's members (they usually contribute the most to the site), some new members come on and want the site running THEIR way, some new members only join to take advantage of buy and sell, events and nightlife and never contribute anything to other threads (which is essential to keep the site alive) and then there are the new members that post in a controversial manner either out of bad taste or because they are attention seekers (these always apologise and promise not to do it, then do exactly the same thing in their very next post).
:)

cashman 28-03-2014 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 1100044)

Doubt it very much Dave, That particular member aint n example at all, as far as contributing to the site, check his posts if yeh doubt it.;)

Less 28-03-2014 11:06

Oh, there are some that come on and want to walk over everyone elses beliefs, they can be as devout as they like so long as they don't ram it down other people's throats.

Might I also suggest that the members now start taking some of the responsibility themselves?
How many times has someone posted on a thread, 'why haven't the mod's done anything?'.

Well if you don't report it they can't do anything, YOU can police the site, YOU can make a difference, me? I would love to go back to sitting in the 'Anything Goes' section and wasting my life away there.

Accyexplorer 28-03-2014 15:12

Maybe it's because they feel like they might get singled out by some of the established members.
Maybe they have a quick look through the site and see there are certain members who talk like their 8ft tall,arms and legs like oak trees and have death rays coming from their eyes.
Maybe they think there are members who are just waiting to sting a new member like a angry wasp.

Perhaps they think there are members who will jump to assumptions about their intent,gender, and personal life.
Perhaps they think folk might discuss these assumptions rather than discussing the actual topic in question and they don't want the attention.
Perhaps they think if they write a comment that doesn't fit into certain members 'bubbles' they'll be challenged and if they hold their own, reinforcements in the form of other members (angry wasps) might also jump in and overwhelm them.

I've seen some of the things listed and I'm amazed that the offenders feel justified in attacking new(er) members somehow rationalising to themselves that their not bullying new(er) members but that their actually doing some sort of service for the site.
And the best thing is those members who take part in these bullying activities assume that the new(er) members don't have a life,when in most cases it's those members themselves that spend all day sat playing with toy train sets,on the internet etc and never really get out.

Neil 28-03-2014 15:19

I am a member on several forums that I have never posted on. I just like to read the info and on some had to join to see posts

cashman 28-03-2014 15:27

And maybe there are some dickheads that just annoy people that get stick?

Less 28-03-2014 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1100087)
Maybe it's because they feel like they might get singled out by some of the established members.
Maybe they have a quick look through the site and see there are certain members who talk like their 8ft tall,arms and legs like oak trees and have death rays coming from their eyes.
Maybe they think there are members who are just waiting to sting a new member like a angry wasp.

Perhaps they think there are members who will jump to assumptions about their intent,gender, and personal life.
Perhaps they think folk might discuss these assumptions rather than discussing the actual topic in question and they don't want the attention.
Perhaps they think if they write a comment that doesn't fit into certain members 'bubbles' they'll be challenged and if they hold their own, reinforcements in the form of other members (angry wasps) might also jump in and overwhelm them.

I've seen some of the things listed and I'm amazed that the offenders feel justified in attacking new(er) members somehow rationalising to themselves that their not bullying new(er) members but that their actually doing some sort of service for the site.
And the best thing is those members who take part in these bullying activities assume that the new(er) members don't have a life,when in most cases it's those members themselves that spend all day sat playing with toy train sets,on the internet etc and never really get out.

Well, I wonder who those members could be? I also wonder why such a rant as yours would come from such a well established and stable member as yourself? I know you did accuse one member in particular, in several of your other posts but, a whole wasps nest of members? Surely not?
I also noticed you attempting to join in these actions you claim to be so terrible, (perhaps hoping to gain some kudos from other members?) on a certain religious thread and had to have an image you put on removed (It seems the mods thought it unworthy even for this nasty little site and it's members), now as everyone knows I'm not attempting to get a reaction from you but some how whilst reading the above one of your favourite words attempted to cross my mind, (it wasn't travelling very fast so I was able to read it and here it is).
:D
hypocrite

hyp·o·crite [hip-uh-krit] Show IPA
noun
a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.
Hypocrite | What is the Definition of Hypocrite? | Dictionary.com

;)

Eric 28-03-2014 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1100087)

Maybe you are making only one point ... restating it in different words (far too many words) doesn't make the point any sharper.:rolleyes:

I was a new member once. Can't remember any serious hazing. Stating that certain members of some infamous (and non-existent) clique are lying in wait, ready to pounce, claws out, on those making tentative steps into an unfamiliar environment is a crock of horse manure.

Accyexplorer 28-03-2014 16:00

^^^ Sting sting sting ^^^ :D

Less 28-03-2014 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1100046)
...and then there are the new members that post in a controversial manner either out of bad taste or because they are attention seekers (these always apologise and promise not to do it, then do exactly the same thing in their very next post).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1100097)
^^^ Sting sting sting ^^^ :D

Already looking forward to the next of your apologies, as insincere as it may be could you direct it towards Maxthecollie? It's his thread your trampling on.

After all, until you posted I thought we (the members) were having a reasonable conversation.

Margaret Pilkington 28-03-2014 16:15

I was a new member once as well. I don't remember having a tough time of it at all.
Maybe that was because I dipped my toes in the water cautiously.
I watched to see how the land lay before jumping in. I don't recall telling the people who were already on the site, how things should be done...or could be done better.
I reckon that if you need to do that then this is not the right forum and you should search a bit longer until you find one which meets your rugged criteria.

I really do appreciate that new members come on with a fresh approach.....different viewpoints and ideas....but how they put these ideas and viewpoints across is crucial to how they will be accepted.

And when things get heated(as they sometimes do) I have found that it is best to withdraw, to wait until the pan has cooled before trying to drink the soup.

Accyweb is like a family......there are some members of your family that you are grateful you only see at High days and Holidays...there are some that you get on with.
Just don't let an outsider try to come in and do some kicking, because when you kick one of us we all limp!