Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-03-2013, 10:56   #16
Resting In Peace

Re: Are they sure they got there facts right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
things like that stand out to me as if they're bold and underlined in red lol.
Well I did editing and proofreading for five years, I could spend all my time on here doing amends, but there comes a time when you just can't be a$$ed and you know it probably wouldn't be appreciated anyway.
Old 26-03-2013, 11:07   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Well I did editing and proofreading for five years, I could spend all my time on here doing amends, but there comes a time when you just can't be a$$ed and you know it probably wouldn't be appreciated anyway.
I think I would love a job like that.

When I was studying, other students used to pay me to proof-read their essays-it became an 'unofficial' part of my job at my old place of work too.

It concerns me more when I see errors like that in a medium such as a newspaper though-surely the people paid to write public announcements should be more thorough?

I used to point out errors all the time on forums, social networking sites, blogs etc ,but you're right-it isn't appreciated and it gets on people's nerves.

I kept reminding myself that I'm mediocre at things other people aren't good at-would I like it if my inability to do certain things was pointed out constantly?Probably not!
Old 26-03-2013, 11:10   #18
I am Banned

Quote:
Thanks both-I'll see about borrowing it from someone!
Support our excellent local libraries, they'll get it in for you.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 11:41   #19
Resting In Peace

Quote:

When I was studying, other students used to pay me to proof-read their essays-it became an 'unofficial' part of my job at my old place of work too.

It concerns me more when I see errors like that in a medium such as a newspaper though-surely the people paid to write public announcements should be more thorough?

I used to point out errors all the time on forums, social networking sites, blogs etc ,but you're right-it isn't appreciated and it gets on people's nerves.

I kept reminding myself that I'm mediocre at things other people aren't good at-would I like it if my inability to do certain things was pointed out constantly?Probably not!
When I was a graduate student my supervisor was very hot on checking scientific papers and so on - and if you can correct those, plain English is a doddle.

It also irks me when I see errors in newspapers etc as the general public will take such things as read (haha) and the spell checker has to be one of the worst culprits as people don't read through what they have written so its and it's etc will just not get distinguished between.
Old 26-03-2013, 11:51   #20
I am Banned

Quote:

If you find any thing wrong with my twiddley bits by all means correct me, when I say twiddley bits I mean these dammed things ".,;':: !, I was never properly taught the use of them at school sometimes I look at what I've written for ages before I decide where the twiddly bits go. then I run out of time.

Last edited by Retlaw; 26-03-2013 at 11:53.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 11:58   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
If you find any thing wrong with my twiddley bits by all means correct me, when I say twiddley bits I mean these dammed things ".,;':: !, I was never properly taught the use of them at school sometimes I look at what I've written for ages before I decide where the twiddly bits go. then I run out of time.
Lol twiddly bits!I was wondering when I would have been given the chance to judge those

Okay-if you have read the 'Maths' thread you'll know I place some reasons for my being mediocre at that, on the fact that I wasn't taught it well at all.

On an ironic note, I've just realised I've put 'Aren't' when I meant 'Are' ,in my sentence.
Not an English issue more a me being daft issue but still I should proof-read my own posts it seems !
Old 26-03-2013, 12:23   #22
I am Banned

[QUOTE=sugarmouse0707;1049133
On an ironic note, I've just realised I've put 'Aren't' when I meant 'Are' ,in my sentence.
Not an English issue more a me being daft issue but still I should proof-read my own posts it seems !
[/QUOTE]

We all do "trypos" s'mouse... it's just t'other people get wound up about em'
Menu's in places abroad always make me chuckle if I see them, but I recognise my efforts to convert English to Portuguese or suchlike would make them smile too.
Old 26-03-2013, 15:34   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
We all do "trypos" s'mouse... it's just t'other people get wound up about em'
Menu's in places abroad always make me chuckle if I see them, but I recognise my efforts to convert English to Portuguese or suchlike would make them smile too.
Yes typos don't bother me so much-language barriers do have some funny results but they don't concern me, either

Apostrophes being misused do though
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 26-03-2013, 17:08   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
You read this book sEats

, Shoots & Leaves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A panda walks into a café. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and proceeds to fire it at the other patrons.
"Why?" asks the confused, surviving waiter amidst the carnage, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

"Well, I'm a panda," he says, at the door. "Look it up."
The waiter turns to the relevant entry in the manual and, sure enough, finds an explanation. "Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves."
Have been looking for a smiley that groans Mr D.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 17:25   #25
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Have been looking for a smiley that groans Mr D.
DtheP47 likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 20:03   #26
I am Banned

Wizz n Jay what a team
Stevie R likes this.
Old 26-03-2013, 20:45   #27

The comma splice irks me.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..