Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 19:00   #16
God Member

Re: Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony

Can't imagine how London will top that!
Old 08-08-2008, 19:14   #17
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Can't imagine how London will top that!
Apparently Michael Barrymore will enter the stadium on a giant jellied eel, accompanied by 112 Pearly Kings and Queens, followed by Peggy Spencer's Latin American dance troupe from Penge.

Should be quite a spectacle.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 19:16   #18

I sat and watched the whole opening ceremony which i also thought was brilliant.afterwards thought to myself how we are going to top that in 2012 with all our pomp and ceremony its gonna be hard.
Polly_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 19:25   #19

Watched it all apart from some of the parade of athletes, quite a spectacle. Like others I'm struggling to see how London will match this.

I do hope our lot don't turn 2012 into some sort of Cockney "knees up"
Old 08-08-2008, 19:36   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Watched it all apart from some of the parade of athletes, quite a spectacle. Like others I'm struggling to see how London will match this.

I do hope our lot don't turn 2012 into some sort of Cockney "knees up"
Of course we will match it Bonnyboy .. albeit in a slightly different, more classy format ... not Cockney .. just British History, talent, industry, etc. Pride in our heritage.

Will be wonderful .... be positive ... The only way it will fail will be due to the cynics ... herewith ... no names mentioned like.

Anyway, will try my best to watch the sports stars ... and 'UP THE ATHLETES OF U.K rah, rah, rah'
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 19:37   #21
God Member

Apparently there are 56 different 'cultures' in China (yes, I watched a lot of it too), so when it comes to London 2012 they could represent all the different counties in the UK - all different cultures. We could have the pearly kings and queens for London, then we could have clog dancers for Lancashire and bagpipers - any other suggestions?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 20:10   #22
God Member

Just a little serious question before I lapse back into cynicism and wait for the hockey season to start: Will the 2012 Olympics be English or British?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 20:12   #23
God Member

Maybe if Londoners started burning coal again they could at least match the Bejing smog
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 20:12   #24
God Member

British I presume.

Old 08-08-2008, 20:15   #25
God Member

What I want to know is why Britain never enters a football team - a combined British team could stand a chance.

Old 08-08-2008, 20:30   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Just a little serious question before I lapse back into cynicism and wait for the hockey season to start: Will the 2012 Olympics be English or British?
U.K. of course Eric. Go back to your world of deep rooted cynicism, and don't slip on the ice and bruise yer bum (well, could knock some sense in you) ...

Ok Gayle .. feel an outline forming here .. could start off with the varying periods in history (Stuarts, Tudors, Victorians, etc .. costume delight), then moving on to the black puddings (hot pot if you insist) and jellied eels, yorkshire puddings throughout the different counties later. What a variegated country we are.

Maybe, finishing up with that wonderful scene from 'My Fair Lady' at the Ascot races ...'Every Duke and Earl and Peer is here' (could use Zara's horse .. will probably be better then.. LOL) .. all attired in Black and White. We have the best theatre in the world ... eeew ...maybe could do Shakespeare's plays too in some form.

Who needs Sebastian .. get back to the Lords sir ... LOL

Last edited by katex; 08-08-2008 at 20:35.
Old 08-08-2008, 20:37   #27
God Member

What about music - think we should go through the ages with that too. A few madrigals, followed by some choirs followed by some charlstons followed by some 40s swing music and a bit of brit pop.

If they start off with We are the Champions - I will be boycotting the whole 2012 Olympics.

Old 08-08-2008, 20:39   #28
Resting in Peace

Anyway, will try my best to watch the sports stars ... and 'UP THE ATHLETES OF U.K[QUOTE]

Couldn't have put it better myself.He He!!
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 20:59   #29
God Member

I don't enjoy the athletics quite as much - love the boat races, the heptathalon and fencing - but usually have to be up at a ridiculous hour of the morning to watch that.

Old 08-08-2008, 21:00   #30
Resting in Peace

[quote=Benipete;616654]Anyway, will try my best to watch the sports stars ... and 'UP THE ATHLETES OF U.K
Quote:

Couldn't have put it better myself.He He!!
Go away you small minded, negative, modern Guy Fawkes traitor ... Gayle and I are having artistic visions here. (By the way, can you play a game called something like 3 'n 4's .. cant remember .. dominoes ..)

Music .. yes, brilliant !! .. Beatles, Billy Fury, Stones, Queen and Elton John are a must to finish with linked with bands from the Welsh, Scottish, Irish, English Army Units. (Notice there was a bagpipe band at Beijing today ... Brill .. Chinese love 'em apparently)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..