Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 18:27   #61
I am Banned

Re: Cabbages & Kings #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Please give us details of the title & author when it comes
My Thwaites mate has dropped the book off and you can blow me down with a feather. What a tome with some tremendous pictures.
It will take me a while to read but skimming it has given up these snippets:
In 1926 Smith’s Tadcaster Brewery had taken over the Milnshaw Brewery of Accrington, originally founded by the uncle of Elma Yerburgh, Daniel Thwaites only daughter who owned the brewery from 1888 to 1946 one Thomas Thwaites.
The Fountain Free Brewery & Co Ltd of Rishton was an acquisition target and once the purchase was finalised in May 1927 brewing at the Red Cap Brewery immediately discontinued as was that at the recently acquired Henry Shaw & Co Ltd’ New Salford Brewery.
Here’s one for you young cashman:
In 1906 the Stanley Football Club, Accrington asked Thwaites for a donation; the club had long played on the ground adjacent to the Grey Horse, a Thwaites public house, and with the support of the landlord their application was successful.
The book is The Life and Times of Daniel Thwaites Brewery 1807-2007 by Jehanne Wake
Published 2007 ISBN 10 1-9044244-46-7 and ISBN 13 978-1-904244-2
I am getting another copy for you Mr D
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-04-2013, 18:47   #62
Senior Member+

If Thwaites owned the brewery from 1888 to 1946 , how could it have been sold to Smith's in 1926? Was it that Smith's only took the pubs? I've never heard that a Bentley was related to the Thwaites'. There is someone on this forum who is researching the Bentley family. I will have a looksee.

When offered for sale in 11926, it wqas revealed that the brewery had itys own well.

Thanks DtheP47. Fascinating stuff. It means I will have to spend some time in my favourite spot - Accy library.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 20:41   #63
I am Banned

Quote:
If Thwaites owned the brewery from 1888 to 1946 , how could it have been sold to Smith's in 1926? Was it that Smith's only took the pubs? I've never heard that a Bentley was related to the Thwaites'. There is someone on this forum who is researching the Bentley family. I will have a looksee.

When offered for sale in 11926, it wqas revealed that the brewery had itys own well.

Thanks DtheP47. Fascinating stuff. It means I will have to spend some time in my favourite spot - Accy library.
The book only makes mention that the Milnshaw Brewery Co was originally founded by Thomas Thwaites. Mayhap Bentley was a business partner and took over the major undertakings very soon after the start-up?
Old 04-04-2013, 21:35   #64
Senior Member+

I suppose he could have come up with the dosh. The Bentleys lived in Milnshaw Lane.
Old 04-04-2013, 22:01   #65
I am Banned

Another interesting bit that when Boddingtons Bewery was damaged by German bombs in 1940 Thwaites took over its brewing and managed to supply most of their pubs.

It also makes mention of the American Forces arriving in Blackburn and adding a certain glamour !!
Covered and questioned in another thread on here somewhere?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:10   #66
I am Banned

Quote:
I suppose he could have come up with the dosh. The Bentleys lived in Milnshaw Lane.
My Thwaites mate has come up with this nugget Bob
I will try to get details of the pamphlet he copied it off.
I suppose I should link it to the 62 Abbey Street thread too cos' there are pubs here on Abbey Street long forgotten
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACCY ALE 1.jpg (312.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by DtheP47; 10-04-2013 at 09:16.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:48   #67
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
My Thwaites mate has come up with this nugget Bob
I will try to get details of the pamphlet he copied it off.
Well I'll go t't foot of our stairs

My mate Denzil tells me the booklet is "An Accrington Mixture" edited by one Bob Dobson (1995)....
Old 10-04-2013, 18:16   #68
Senior Member+

I suggest that anyone following this thread should also look at the one headed '62 Abbey St'.
Old 10-04-2013, 18:52   #69
I am Banned

Quote:
Your book does nail it Bob about Thwaites opening the brewery on MIlnshaw Lane. Where did that information come from?
Old 11-04-2013, 08:37   #70
Senior Member+

Quote:
Your book does nail it Bob about Thwaites opening the brewery on MIlnshaw Lane. Where did that information come from?

I cannot remember. Perhaps some newspaper cuttings in the library
Old 08-05-2013, 08:40   #71
I am Banned

I thought the Minister for Tourism had been quiet of late *chuckle*

BBC News - Oldest dinosaur of its kind unearthed in Canada
Old 08-05-2013, 08:57   #72
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I thought the Minister for Tourism had been quiet of late *chuckle*

BBC News - Oldest dinosaur of its kind unearthed in Canada
Thank god they've found Eric
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:13   #73
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Thank god they've found Eric
There was nothing to panic about, it's the time of year for old grizzlies to come out of hibernation.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:49   #74
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

They're talking out their hoop, they're not extinct! There's some "Bone headed Dinosaurs" kicking around on here.
DtheP47 likes this.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:51   #75
God Member

In Scotland maybe - but that aint Nessie(arily) so.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..