Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2004, 11:43   #16
mez
God Member

too early to let the cat out the bag janet, see if anyone can solve the mystery?
i will give you a clue: you wear it, its an article of clothing? comeon people rack yer brains////
Accrington Web
Old 28-01-2004, 12:35   #17
Senior Member+

yeah I know what a ganzi is - its a cardigan type thing - my wife says it all the time !
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2004, 14:10   #18
mez
God Member

oo, i thought id get a few with that one , shes a real lancs lass.
Old 28-01-2004, 15:01   #19
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Never stayed in Glasgow, but have driven through it a few times on my way to Skye, Fort William, Loch Lomond and lots of other beautiful places. Loved all my holidays and long weekends in Scotland, people are friendly, beer is good, and with the fabulous countryside what more could anyone want (even had nice weather!!!!) int:
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2004, 16:46   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
Never stayed in Glasgow, but have driven through it a few times on my way to Skye, Fort William, Loch Lomond and lots of other beautiful places. Loved all my holidays and long weekends in Scotland, people are friendly, beer is good, and with the fabulous countryside what more could anyone want (even had nice weather!!!!) int:
and thank you very much Lettie, Lancashires very own representitive for the Scottish Tourist Board !
Old 28-01-2004, 16:58   #21
Senior Member+

Well mez, you learn summat every day.
Old 28-01-2004, 17:24   #22
Senior Member+

I learned that (ganzi) whilst we lived up in scotland - another one she comes out with is 'slotherers' - apparently they are comfy shoes ?? beats me but if thats what they are called then thats what they are called.
Old 28-01-2004, 20:31   #23

been loads of time, all the best places mind! Castlemilk...ever wonder where that name came from! Barrhead, easterhouse, Gorbles, Pollok......
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2004, 21:11   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemo
been loads of time, all the best places mind! Castlemilk...ever wonder where that name came from! Barrhead, easterhouse, Gorbles, Pollok......
Littlemo just how do you know all these erm... lovely places - I lived in easterhouse for 20 years so if you have been before you'll know what its like - these areas dont have a good reputation about them at all - nothing wrong with the folk that live there - the places just dont have a good name !!
the gorbals is now a yuppie village with £100k flats -very posh now , compared to what it used to be like with those huge high rise flats .
So please tell me how you knowof these areas !
And just for you Littlemo - How Castlemilk got its name !

The lands known as Cassilton of Carmunnock were bought by the Stuarts in 1460 and it is here they started construction of Cassilton Tower. The Stuarts brought the name Castlemilk with them. The family owned estates in Dumfriesshire, south of Lockerbie, named after their castle beside the River Mylk. (Their Castlemilk Estate also gave its name to Britain’s rarest breed of sheep, the Castlemilk Moorit!) When the family sold their lands in the south and moved their main residence to the area known as Cassilton in 1579, they changed its name to Castlemilk. Cassilton Tower’s main claim to fame was that Mary, Queen of Scots lodged here the night before the battle of Langside, in 1568.

Now you can sleep easier at night now !
Old 29-01-2004, 12:19   #25

so can we assume the original spelling of Castlemilk would have been castlemylk? My parents are originally from Glasgow. Commanhead would be where we would go when in easterhouse. I also have a friend out here that is from there and I do believe it is where Robert Carlyle the actor is from.
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2004, 15:52   #26
Accy Goddess

Wi called the back streets, baxies wen I were a lass in Preston.
Mi Dad called them Ginnels.
Never bin abroad in mi life.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2004, 17:45   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemo
so can we assume the original spelling of Castlemilk would have been castlemylk? My parents are originally from Glasgow. Commanhead would be where we would go when in easterhouse. I also have a friend out here that is from there and I do believe it is where Robert Carlyle the actor is from.
I always thought a baxi was a gas fire !
Yes you would be correct in asuming that the spelling would be as you say, the glasgow slang for Castlemilk is 'Castlemanky' because of the area (if you dont know what manky is I will tell you !)
And if your from the east end of Glasgow you would pronounce commonhead "commonheed" !!!
I always thought that Robert carlyle was from Dennistoun in glasgow (same place as Lulu ) but there you go !
So are your parents from Commonhead/heed then ? - thats way at the back of easterhouse, and if you have been to easterhouse which parts do you know of ?
this is quite trippy actually, talking about easterhouse to someone in canada whilst living in accrington !!
Old 07-02-2004, 10:21   #28
I am Band

Re Have you ever....

Does this count?
I drove through Glasgow late one Friday night last year, on the way up to Torridon, for some quality climbing.
It persisted down. 'Tinsel Town in the Rain'. Is that common?
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 11:05   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkologist
Re Have you ever....

Does this count?
I drove through Glasgow late one Friday night last year, on the way up to Torridon, for some quality climbing.
It persisted down. 'Tinsel Town in the Rain'. Is that common?
about as common as every person in scotland having bright red hair and big beards who eat haggis, drink whisky and wear kilts whilst tossing cabers and shouting " see you jimmy "! (russ abott has alot to answer for that one !)
It doesnt rain any more up in glasgow/scotland than what it does here in lancashire - I think that some people forget that they are only 2 odd hours away from glasgow/west of scotland so the weather is very much of the same.
I will admit that you do sometimes get 4 seasons in one day but thats somthing you are brought up with in scotland.
The 'Dear Green Place' is lovely in the rain, hail, sleet & snow.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:20   #30
mez
God Member

hey glasgow did you hear fred elliot on corrie last nite bout his hols in italy (said it was ok but you needed yer gannzi at nite ) just thought id put that one in

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..