Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-01-2004, 20:27   #1
Senior Member+

Has anyone.......

ever been to my hometown .... Glasgow, the only place that I know of where I have been that some pubs are open 23 hours a day ..(no wise cracks about scottish folk liking their drink please - I know a few folk down here who can put them to shame ! lol)
If so why were you there, where did you go, and what did you do ?
was it what you expected ? (what were you expecting??) & what did you think of it ? (that last bit can really depend on which part you were in..)

Just curious as to what peoples perceptions are of the city are - thats all.

thanks.
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-01-2004, 23:30   #2
mez
God Member

yes ive stayed at some friends of mine in glasgow last year, cant tell you wot district it was, but not to far from : the grand ol opree: i was supposed to go but didnt get there , i will put the district on tomoz, one thing i can say is how friendly the people were & how clean it was, especially the council estates .
Old 27-01-2004, 23:31   #3
mez
God Member

ahh justremember were it was it was the pennylee district ? any good ?
Old 27-01-2004, 23:38   #4
Roy
Administrator

I've been up that neck of the woods as well... Got a present one time of a stay in the Marriot hotel up there, very nice it was to. Just did the whole tourist thing and got leathered in the evening (obviously could have done that in the morning as well but, you know).. I found it quite interesting that my journey there from Accrington was exactly 200 miles..
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2004, 07:25   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
yes ive stayed at some friends of mine in glasgow last year, cant tell you wot district it was, but not to far from : the grand ol opree: i was supposed to go but didnt get there , i will put the district on tomoz, one thing i can say is how friendly the people were & how clean it was, especially the council estates .
why did the grand ole opre stick in your head mez ?
Are you a lover of all things country & western (thats what goes on in there) and pennylee (southside of glasgow) is quite a nice place to live in - some parts are quite expensive !
Old 28-01-2004, 07:28   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
I've been up that neck of the woods as well... Got a present one time of a stay in the Marriot hotel up there, very nice it was to. Just did the whole tourist thing and got leathered in the evening (obviously could have done that in the morning as well but, you know).. I found it quite interesting that my journey there from Accrington was exactly 200 miles..
thats right , where I go in glasgow is exactly 220 miles from Accrington - a journey which we can do in precisely 2hours 10 mins - and thats not speeding up the m6,m74 !!
Old 28-01-2004, 07:47   #7
Roy
Administrator

hang on, let me do my maths - 220 miles divided by 2.16 (2hrs 10mins) gives an average speed of 101.85 MPH!! So if your not speeding up the m6/m74 you must be speeding up some other roads :-) Whats your secret?
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2004, 08:36   #8
mez
God Member

i was going for a nite out there but it got cancelled,( due to family argument) ( nothing to do with me ) went to a pub instead, dont remember too much , i got a liking for the irn brew with a little something, did go to coast a couple of times just to see the sea, we took all kids on picnics, there were 10 of um ///// the tipple helped ha ha ha , the countryside is beautiful.
Old 28-01-2004, 08:54   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
hang on, let me do my maths - 220 miles divided by 2.16 (2hrs 10mins) gives an average speed of 101.85 MPH!! So if your not speeding up the m6/m74 you must be speeding up some other roads :-) Whats your secret?
No secret ! we can leave clayton at 11am and arrive in south Lanarkshire (m74,hamilton turnoff) at basically 1.10 give or take a few minutes.
And thats the good lady driving ! we just have it down to a fine art I guess, she's been doing it for years and I know which roads to take if theres a road block or whatever on the M74 or perhaps its just not that busy at that time of day - but we can do it inside 2 hours 15 minutes !
Old 28-01-2004, 09:00   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
i got a liking for the irn brew with a little something, did go to coast a couple of times just to see the sea, we took all kids on picnics, there were 10 of um ///// the tipple helped ha ha ha , the countryside is beautiful.
That wouldnt be vodka in with your Irn Bru would it ?? - its the only time I drink vodka is when its in that drink.
Your a brave person for going to the coast, I know people in glasgow who wont go to the seaside in scotland !!
And yes the countryside is beautiful but the sad thing is that people in glasgow would rather jump on a plane and go abroad for a break rather than drive 30 minutes to loch lomond for a break - not many scottish folk go on holiday in Scotland - thats why you find so many tourists in scotland - if there was more locals you wouldnt really notice them .
Old 28-01-2004, 09:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
Your forgetting the time difference Roy!!

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2004, 09:46   #12
mez
God Member

0but isnt that the same no matter where we live, we have some beautiful countryside round here, ribble valley, rossendale valley , trough of bowland, the lakes, to many to mention , i took a friend from the south round ribble valley& the lakes was amazed at the beauty, i told her even wen we had clogs & shawls we still went to the ribble valley, yes i must addmitt i catch a plane for my hols, but theres nowt like home/
Old 28-01-2004, 09:58   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
i told her even wen we had clogs & shawls/
I may sound daft here but what are they ??
are you talking about clogs (as in wooden shoes) and shawls (as in what you drape tound yourself ?)
Or is this another of the infamous 'Lancashire dialect' - I only recentley found out what a 'ginnel' (spelling ??) was !!
Old 28-01-2004, 10:06   #14
mez
God Member

yes clogs, wooden sole leather upper fastened with buttons with irons on the bottom, if you scraped them on the floor you made sparks, it was great, but you couldent walk in the snow with them cause you grew to 10 feet tall , quite a laugh. another word is a gannzi any one out there know wot it is, i do .
Old 28-01-2004, 11:32   #15
Senior Member+

Never heard the word gannzi mez, tell us more.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..