Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2008, 07:59   #1
God Member

Hyndburn/Blackburn boundaries

i'm starting this thread because i dont really think any of us know where the boundaries actually lie for these towns, can anyone possibly come up with the answer?

where does Hyndburn finish and Blackburn Begin?

ive found a few on google but they go back a few hundred years before the roads and motorways where there so they dont give the up to date answers that we are all going on about
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-06-2008, 08:06   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Hyndburn/Blackburn boundaries

I don't know about the Hyndburn boundaries but there is a sign on Accrington/Blackburn road near winfield's or what ever the shoe place is called that says "welcome to Lancashire" so is Blackburn in Yorkshire
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 08:07   #3
God Member

lol thats wynsors then mick? i put pics up the other week to state where these signs are, but wynsors is classed as Blackburn as is the Redcap?

there are 3 signs, one says Blackburn one says Lancashire and the other says Oswaldtwistle? all within a few meters of each other, god even im getting confused as to where i actually live now
Old 22-06-2008, 08:14   #4
Resting in Peace

right thanks for that i dont do shopping so dont know the shop names
I was on the bus comming back from Blackburn and noticed the sign "welcome to Lancashire"
i thought the bus had taken a wrong turn somewhere
Old 22-06-2008, 08:22   #5
Resident Waffler

Blackburn is in Blackburnshire Mick. Didn't you know that?

Last edited by Mick; 22-06-2008 at 08:25.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 08:22   #6
God Member

I'll probably confuse things more but here goes.

Blackburn is a unitary authority so technically is not part of Lancashire i.e. it is not managed by Lancashire County Council. So Lancashire County Council has put up signs at its boundary, not the age-old traditional boundary that we all think of as Lancashire.

Hyndburn covers - Accrington, Oswaldtwistle, Rishton, Great Harwood, Clayton, Baxenden, Belthorn, Huncoat, Altham, Knuzden (well the big housing estate just this side of Wynsors) and a few other small parishes. Parliamentary it also includes Haslingden!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 08:25   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Blackburn is in Blackburnshire Mick. Didn't you know that?
So is Preston in Prestonshire then ??
Old 22-06-2008, 08:26   #8
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post

Blackburn is a unitary authority so technically is not part of Lancashire i.e. it is not managed by Lancashire County Council.
That's what I said - Blackburnshire

Old 22-06-2008, 10:15   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
right thanks for that i dont do shopping so dont know the shop names
I was on the bus comming back from Blackburn and noticed the sign "welcome to Lancashire"
i thought the bus had taken a wrong turn somewhere

lol and i live just across from that sign

Gayle thankyou for settling that bit for us

but why are Wynsors and the redcap still classed as Blackburn? lol
Old 22-06-2008, 10:41   #10
Resting in Peace

There's quite a lot of information in this site Flashy, I think a little difficult to negotiate, however, good fun if useless for what you want... will give you all the information of where you live at least :-

www.mario.lancashire.gov.uk
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 14:15   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart
but wynsors is classed as Blackburn as is the Redcap?
As I've already said in another thread the Redcap is NOT in Blackburn, i'ts in Hyndburn. Many years ago I worked for a firm who used to supply goods to the Redcap, when we sent out invoices they were always mailed to The Old Mother Redcap, Rishton. I asked where this was, as the only Redcap I knew was on the road from Accrington to Blackburn. That's the one, I was told, it's actually in Rishton. Apparently there is a stream which runs parallel with the main road and disappears underground as it passes through the Redcap carpark, this stream is the boundary between Rishton and Oswaldtwistle, both of which are in Hyndburn, NOT Blackburn. So wherever the Redcap is, it sure isn't Blackburn.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 14:48   #12
Resting in Peace

Take a look at that site I put on my post Yerself .. you can probably sort it out better than myself .. Does show all boundaries, but certainly the Brewers Fayre electorally is in St. Oswald's ward .. the boundary there appears to go down Blackburn Road and around the back of these buildings, taking it out of Rishton. Bit confusing must admit.

Does show where Blackburn boundary is too.
Old 22-06-2008, 15:39   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
As I've already said in another thread the Redcap is NOT in Blackburn, i'ts in Hyndburn. Many years ago I worked for a firm who used to supply goods to the Redcap, when we sent out invoices they were always mailed to The Old Mother Redcap, Rishton. I asked where this was, as the only Redcap I knew was on the road from Accrington to Blackburn. That's the one, I was told, it's actually in Rishton. Apparently there is a stream which runs parallel with the main road and disappears underground as it passes through the Redcap carpark, this stream is the boundary between Rishton and Oswaldtwistle, both of which are in Hyndburn, NOT Blackburn. So wherever the Redcap is, it sure isn't Blackburn.
I agree.

I stated in the other thread that I was under the impression the Redcap was in Rishton.

Odd, isn't it?

Blackburn must start somewhere along that road though.....before you get to Intack. Intack's in Blackburn.
Old 22-06-2008, 16:33   #14
Resident Waffler

I thought it was Knuzden and then Intack. I thought they bordered.

Old 22-06-2008, 16:40   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I agree.

I stated in the other thread that I was under the impression the Redcap was in Rishton.

Odd, isn't it?

Blackburn must start somewhere along that road though.....before you get to Intack. Intack's in Blackburn.
Gettting frustrated .. don't appear to be able to download these maps from the mario site ... if anything shows that the Brewers Fayre is in Oswaldtwistle. The parish boundary is just after Abbott Clough Avenue travelling towards Blackburn (about 20 metres .. get ya' measure out Flashy ) Definitely St. Oswalds ward though. The parish boundary also shows that it is in Ossy. Some of the buildings at the back of the farm are in Rishton. At the end of the day definitely Hyndburn.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..