Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Jobs
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Jobs Situations Vacant & Wanted/Further education/Career Advice Advertise job vacancies. Let people know you are looking for a position. Advertise your skills. Give or ask for info on Further Education. Which are good firms to work for?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2007, 11:01   #1

Question Job!

Sup folks?

Anyone know any places that have vacancies and are likely to take someone on?

I've applied for so many jobs and got nothing back, the jobcentre seems to be a waste of time too. I'll do anything at all except cleaning.

Old 05-11-2007, 13:05   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Job!

Good luck with your search.

I can understand not wanting to make cleaning your lifelong job, but most employers would look more favourably at someone who was employed as a cleaner, and who therefore could supply references, as well as an apptitude for work, than someone who was currently doing nothing.

Personally I've done all kinds of demeaning jobs, before I found my ideal job.

It is tough, so as said earlier, good luck with your search.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 13:12   #3
God Member

Julie applied for a cleaning job at Accy Timber 10 years ago, shes now Area Administrator for the North West.

As Rindy says, the willingness to do menial tasks shows the work ethic better than any CV can.

You really should have some idea of what you want to do long term and work towards that. Otherwise you are unlikely to enjoy what you do and then it becomes a bore. You spend far too much time at work to not enjoy what you do.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 13:15   #4
God Member

Hey even cleaning jobs require quals & experience these days - surprisingly even those types of work are fussy on requirements. Need a little job myself & yes the jobcentre plus is very dire indeed as much as it displeases the majority assuming jobs are 2 a penny, its not that easy when been out of work for some time for good reason doing courses yet long time out or those starting on the rung of work tho least young people have connections [th'owd career service to us owdies lol] not that much scope for help for rest of us other than jobcentre for rest of us & when thats bad where else do you look........no not the Observer either unless u can get to work in Manchester/Rochdale area, local paper nowt much local in job front if u dont have your own transportation means

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 13:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
Hey even cleaning jobs require quals & experience these days - surprisingly even those types of work are fussy on requirements. Need a little job myself & yes the jobcentre plus is very dire indeed as much as it displeases the majority assuming jobs are 2 a penny, its not that easy when been out of work for some time for good reason doing courses yet long time out or those starting on the rung of work tho least young people have connections [th'owd career service to us owdies lol] not that much scope for help for rest of us other than jobcentre for rest of us & when thats bad where else do you look........no not the Observer either unless u can get to work in Manchester/Rochdale area, local paper nowt much local in job front if u dont have your own transportation means
I've been through all connexions thing, again.. Just like the jobcentre, waste of time.
Old 05-11-2007, 13:34   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Swift View Post
I've been through all connexions thing, again.. Just like the jobcentre, waste of time.
Things must have changed a lot - i found the careers service invaluable when i was younger - still have things from them now that counts on my cv as impressive. Nowadays finding hours round family & being local is more the hardship for me, hence finding cleaning jobs or menial work are particular in their employee standards - catch 22 but there is no other job/careers service that caters for the over 25's, stuck with jobcentre plus or find one on your own.

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 13:39   #7

Do any of you know any websites that are worth trying out to find jobs?
Old 05-11-2007, 14:47   #8
God Member

Have you thought about doing home caring Stanleymad? Don't think transport is essential as you can work locally. Think there is a place to enquire on Dutton Street, could be worth a try and I'm sure they would be able to arrange your hours to work round your children.
Old 05-11-2007, 15:08   #9
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

You tried obvious places like Asda etc they seem to employ for the Christmas period, if you get took on at least it would be a stopgap till something better came along.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 16:52   #10
Senior Member+

Honestly mate if you go on job centre website theres quite a few. Like i found these:
http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/Inte...&ref=ACC/41159

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/Inte...2&ref=BUL/4494

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/Inte...&ref=BCK/21615

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/Inte...&ref=BCK/21581

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/Inte...&ref=BCK/21613

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/Inte...1&ref=BUL/4531

Hope these help you

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 17:00   #11

Try agencies mate. Loads of them around and they all need staff for this time of year. Probably only be temp till christmas but some do take staff on perm if they impress.
Old 05-11-2007, 17:29   #12

I'm looking for perm. Sick of being in and out of jobs every 3 months, doing my nut in.

You fancy going on the look on weekend or something?
Old 05-11-2007, 19:12   #13

Can do if you want mate. I know a few places just depends what kinda work your after.
Old 05-11-2007, 19:32   #14

Anywhere really.. We'll stroll round and go in anywhere thats open?

You live in Huncoat don't you??

Or is it Harwood?
Old 05-11-2007, 19:48   #15

Huncoat. I know a couple of places that might be looking for staff. Just depends what hours you want to do and what experience you got.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..