Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Jobs
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Jobs Situations Vacant & Wanted/Further education/Career Advice Advertise job vacancies. Let people know you are looking for a position. Advertise your skills. Give or ask for info on Further Education. Which are good firms to work for?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-05-2008, 20:26   #46
God Member

Re: Looking To Volunteer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfb2004 View Post
Hi It is fine to go down there tomorrow. The volunteer courses run every few weeks but tend to stop in the summer when the kids are off. My name is Stella and I am a volunteer counsellor in there. I shall be there tomorrow from about 12.45 -3.00 but have a client 1-2. You can ask for me if i am free and i will introduce you to the team or if you go in the morning Jennifer will be on the reception i think and she is a volunteer who can tell you more about it. The centre offers help and information to women about anything and everything and if they haven't got the answer, they refer people on to the places that can. They run courses to help develop computer skills, self esteem, confidence, creative skills etc and there is a donation only counselling service, a small library, and a creche so lots of variety. I also work at Maundy relief and there is always lots of help needed there. On Cannon St, there is the Council for Voluntary Services and they will be able to put you in touch with all sorts of organisations who are looking for volunteers if you have a particular interest that you would like to get involved with.

That's great, thanks for all the information
Old 16-06-2008, 09:00   #47

http://www.do-it.org.uk/

This is a great site for volunteering opportunities It links you with areas you may be interested in, in towns you want to work. Some of the listings may be out of date but ring to check, there's no harm.

Just to say, the school thing (God some of you do like to attack dont you!) To volunteer in a school, primary or senior, all you need is a CRB clearance, which the school will probably sort out for you.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 10:16   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
http://www.do-it.org.uk/

This is a great site for volunteering opportunities It links you with areas you may be interested in, in towns you want to work. Some of the listings may be out of date but ring to check, there's no harm.

Just to say, the school thing (God some of you do like to attack dont you!) To volunteer in a school, primary or senior, all you need is a CRB clearance, which the school will probably sort out for you.

What a great site, thanks!

It'll help other people looking to volunteer too
Old 16-06-2008, 13:57   #49
God Member

Just wanna say that site is ace!

Have been on and already passed my interest to 2 local centres that need volunteers, doing general work, administration and general helping out!

It's a very useful site, just wanted to say thanks

Karma on it's way!
Old 16-06-2008, 21:37   #50

Have you thought of Lancashire County Council - Volunteer Services

01257 248118 Ask for Peter Rawstrone, think he is still in charge of our area, he is a lovely man too.

You will be interviewed at home, they will do the CRB check for you. They have a wealth of courses that you can attend free, the choice is yours. Most importantly you will have the chance to make someones life better. You can choose to befriend either males or females, young or old. If there are any particular disabilities you want to avoid, that is not a problem. Give them a ring, they are really friendly, prompt and professional. They also need volunteers badly.
Old 16-06-2008, 21:39   #51
God Member

Thats great, thanks, I'll give them a ring tomorra
Old 20-06-2008, 14:08   #52

Your welcome AccyLass. Good luck.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 13:31   #53
God Member

Just to let everyone know that your advice and input in this thread wasn't wasted!

After weeks of filling in forms and going backwards and forwards to interviews

I started a volunteer training course today down at the womens centre
This will last for 10 weeks

Also, as soon as they get the roof fixed (Oct hopefully) I will be training to become a Mentor at Positive Steps that is based on Cannon Street
This is a volunteer based company that helps people back into work, that have had time off for one reason or another
Whether they need extra training (which I can attend courses with them)
Confidence building, Help with cv's/forms, going through yellow pages and help in givng them the ability to write covering letters to suitable employers

Anyway, I can't wait!
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that had a suggestion!
Old 29-09-2008, 15:02   #54
God Member

Good on you hope you enjoy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..