Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Jobs
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Jobs Situations Vacant & Wanted/Further education/Career Advice Advertise job vacancies. Let people know you are looking for a position. Advertise your skills. Give or ask for info on Further Education. Which are good firms to work for?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-03-2008, 00:10   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Looking To Volunteer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Can you get work as a teaching assistant if you have no GCSEs?

I find that very surprising. Is this in a primary or secondary school?

note that her age is 37. would that not have been o levels? she would be classed as mature and life experience would be taken into consideration. the college will test you to make sure you have the english, maths and science skills needed. theres no point being a ta if you cant do the work you are supposed be helping the children with. You can do a foundaion degree without anything higher than a gcse if you pass their tests........as long as you are a mature student

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-03-2008, 15:57   #32
Junior Member+

hi im working in primary school; but went to college in my own time and did aqa english, mathes, science, this is equivelent to gcses.Having only a basic knowledge of the above will not stop you from working in primary school.
fluffydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 16:00   #33
Senior Member+

that doesn make sense. the idea of having a teaching assistant is to assist the teacher to teach the children. you CANNOT teach children a subject if your knowledge of the subject is so basic that you cannot do the work yourself!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 20-03-2008, 16:22   #34
Junior Member+

Hi, i am working in priumary school but i did AQA english, maths and science this is equivalent to GCSE i did this in my own time.Remember i am a special needs TA, and have done lots of home study on this. i also have a son with special educational needs, which gives me a deeper understanding and knowlege in this field. i also have Dyslexia and this hasn't stopped me from achieving my goals. All it takes is a lot of hard work if you are prepared to put the time in.
Old 20-03-2008, 16:24   #35
Senior Member+

i know how hard it is. I'm level 3. i have extra special needs training.

Old 20-03-2008, 18:32   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydoll View Post
Hi, i am working in priumary school but i did AQA english, maths and science this is equivalent to GCSE i did this in my own time.Remember i am a special needs TA, and have done lots of home study on this. i also have a son with special educational needs, which gives me a deeper understanding and knowlege in this field. i also have Dyslexia and this hasn't stopped me from achieving my goals. All it takes is a lot of hard work if you are prepared to put the time in.
I think that is something to be really proud of

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 12:53   #37
Junior Member+

thankyou pendel red i am proud of myself...
Old 23-03-2008, 16:36   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydoll View Post
AQA is an education board, it provides GCSE papers. It IS GCSE in other words. Just like OCR, Edexcel etc.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2008, 23:10   #39

Hi I have just read your message. Have you thought about helping out in the Women's Centre on Abbey St up near the Swan Pub. They wll train you and you can do any number of hours. One shift is usually 2.5 hours eihter morning or afternoon. There are lots of different things to do and you can get involved in more training if you are interested. Pop in and have a chat with them to find out more.
sfb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 17:55   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfb2004 View Post
Hi I have just read your message. Have you thought about helping out in the Women's Centre on Abbey St up near the Swan Pub. They wll train you and you can do any number of hours. One shift is usually 2.5 hours eihter morning or afternoon. There are lots of different things to do and you can get involved in more training if you are interested. Pop in and have a chat with them to find out more.

Thanks for this, this could be something I am looking for!

Would it matter if I go in now and start enquiring? As I can't start til the end of September?
Or should I wait?

Thanks Again
Old 18-05-2008, 17:58   #41
God Member

ah ive done loads of courses through the womens centre
Old 18-05-2008, 17:59   #42
God Member

This kind of thing, I think I would love
Old 18-05-2008, 18:02   #43
God Member

well have a wander down there tomorrow then Chelle, its just across from the tesco petrol station near the Swan pub, its only a little place, looks like a shop
Old 18-05-2008, 18:36   #44
God Member

Yeah, I will, not working tomorra so might aswell
Old 18-05-2008, 19:51   #45

Hi It is fine to go down there tomorrow. The volunteer courses run every few weeks but tend to stop in the summer when the kids are off. My name is Stella and I am a volunteer counsellor in there. I shall be there tomorrow from about 12.45 -3.00 but have a client 1-2. You can ask for me if i am free and i will introduce you to the team or if you go in the morning Jennifer will be on the reception i think and she is a volunteer who can tell you more about it. The centre offers help and information to women about anything and everything and if they haven't got the answer, they refer people on to the places that can. They run courses to help develop computer skills, self esteem, confidence, creative skills etc and there is a donation only counselling service, a small library, and a creche so lots of variety. I also work at Maundy relief and there is always lots of help needed there. On Cannon St, there is the Council for Voluntary Services and they will be able to put you in touch with all sorts of organisations who are looking for volunteers if you have a particular interest that you would like to get involved with.
sfb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..