Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Jobs
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Jobs Situations Vacant & Wanted/Further education/Career Advice Advertise job vacancies. Let people know you are looking for a position. Advertise your skills. Give or ask for info on Further Education. Which are good firms to work for?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2005, 10:15   #1
Wez

Suggestions?

Greetings and salutations,

Just wondered if anyone knew of some companies along the lines of Express Gifts in the Accrington/Clayton area in need of staff..

My friend's 16, fresh from school, has no qualifications and little work experience. She'll do anything that pays basically but she's struggling to find anywhere willing to hire her.

Any suggestions you can put forward would be greatly appreciated!

Thankyou please

...on a side note, does anyone know whether there's an age restriction on working for employment agencies?
Old 25-01-2005, 12:57   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Suggestions?

Has she tried McDonalds, KFC, the Bowling Alley?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2005, 15:04   #3
Wez

yeah, McDonalds weren't interested.. suppose the bowling alley might be worth a try though.

Cheers Willow
Old 25-01-2005, 15:08   #4
Beacon of light

Express Gifts at Clayton are always taking on staff, but at 16 she might not be able to work shifts.....but it is worth giving them a ring. What about Asda too?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2005, 15:23   #5

Some agencies will but only on perm positions, it is very difficult on temps though this is where she would get her experience. The best thing to do is go through the phone book and ring them all, then register with as many as possible.

The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed .......Sebastine Chamford
fibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2005, 16:00   #6
Wez

She was with Express up until Christmas Margaret, Asda's probably worth checking though!

fibi, I should have just asked you that really, you'd know better than most =)

I'll have to write her a CV or she's got no chance.
Wez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2005, 21:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wez
She was with Express up until Christmas Margaret, Asda's probably worth checking though!

fibi, I should have just asked you that really, you'd know better than most =)

I'll have to write her a CV or she's got no chance.
Kelly Services tend to be a good agency for 16 yr olds, not sure if they are nationwide but thats were I send the younger guys we can't help, they are mostly commercial though might be worth looking on their website to see if they have any offices in Accy, Blackburn area, most agencies will also help out with CV's to.

The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed .......Sebastine Chamford
Old 26-01-2005, 08:00   #8
Senior Member+

Kelly Services are nationwide - they have them down here in the south

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2005, 08:03   #9
Wez

Cool, I shall checketh them outeth

A C.V's no problem, that's 2 minutes of a job
Old 26-01-2005, 08:05   #10
mez
God Member

have you tried going to connextions, its based on abby st, & they are the carreers office, they have a website with a job list on it too they are really helpfull.
Old 26-01-2005, 08:16   #11
Senior Member+

This may be a really mad idea, but have you thought of the jobcentre?

I used to go in there quite a lot, and I don't about up there, but down here they have terminals that you can use - they are touch screens, and you can use them to narrow down your search to the type of work you are looking for, the area you want to work in etc.

Jobcentres aren't just for the unemployed!

Old 26-01-2005, 10:28   #12
Wez

Connextions! Now why didn't I think of them, I went there myself many years ago =)

Thanks for the input Vorlon, she's kind of given up hope with the jobcentre though, that's why I'm trying to help her out.
Old 26-01-2005, 11:39   #13
Senior Member+

The jobcentre get new jobs in all the time - I would check in there at least once a week.

Now that I think of it, you can actually check for jobs there online. I don't know what the web addy is, but full details will be in the jobcentre, or you may be able to google it.

Old 26-01-2005, 12:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
The jobcentre get new jobs in all the time - I would check in there at least once a week.

Now that I think of it, you can actually check for jobs there online. I don't know what the web addy is, but full details will be in the jobcentre, or you may be able to google it.
Web address is
www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk just need to put in postcode and mile radius and it will fetch all jobs up in your area...much better than going in

Old 26-01-2005, 12:30   #15
Wez

She goes to the Job centre on a regular basis for Job seekers, she's a bit demotivated by it all though otherwise I wouldn't be helping her in the first place.

She's goin to connexions later today so hopefully they can help her =)

Thanks for the help though peeps, it's appreciated ya know!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..