Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Jobs
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Jobs Situations Vacant & Wanted/Further education/Career Advice Advertise job vacancies. Let people know you are looking for a position. Advertise your skills. Give or ask for info on Further Education. Which are good firms to work for?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-01-2005, 09:00   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Suggestions?

Perhaps she should go back to school/college and get some qualifications.

JSA for under 18s is a pittance, from what I remember

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-01-2005, 09:07   #17
Wez

JSA?

She needs a job because the other girl she lives with is paying all the bills at the minute. She left school early too so she'd struggle to get into college..
Old 27-01-2005, 09:28   #18

My sis is in a similar situation. She went to connections and it kinda runs like job seekers only they get 'training' alegidly. They help u find jobs to go for to train for which sounds good on paper only she found herself being the new 'dogsbody'- I know everyone has to start somewhere right but she was treated like dirt and found herself hanging up clothes all day- you would of thought she would be trained on the till or something but no. To add insult to injury she got pittens- less than JSA for it- its the new slave labour I'm sure. Ok individual case but just be weary is my advice. Shes a bright girl only she messed her GCSEs up now she so regrets that! She is now looking for work under her own initive- at least she will get a normal wage- even if its a part time cleaning job or something instead of the training rate, until Sep where she will start college where u can retake GCSEs i think its a yr course which will give her more of a start hopefully. Asda and express gifts tend to take people on from Sep-crimbo as need more workers.
markuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2005, 10:43   #19
Senior Member+

JSA = JobSeekers Allowance

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2005, 10:48   #20
Wez

ahh, Jobseekers.

I used to do an apprenticeship which I got through connexions Markuze; I earned £70 a week for 2 painstaking years which was still more than JSA pays I think (never claimed it so I dont know). It was worth the crappy wages for the training though, definately.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:37   #21

I found my job on the job centre website. I still check it out once a week to see if there is anything available.
Well worth checking if you ask me. Also she could check on different companies websites and in the windows of shops.

Know what you mean about going to the job centre though. Horrible feeling. They just try and palm you off with any old job.

Good luck

Karen
asfc babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 15:13   #22
Senior Member+

yeah go to bowling

they usually have jobs goin from what i remember last they were in need of some staff...
Old 08-03-2005, 19:11   #23
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wez
Greetings and salutations,

Just wondered if anyone knew of some companies along the lines of Express Gifts in the Accrington/Clayton area in need of staff..

My friend's 16, fresh from school, has no qualifications and little work experience. She'll do anything that pays basically but she's struggling to find anywhere willing to hire her.

Any suggestions you can put forward would be greatly appreciated!

Thankyou please

...on a side note, does anyone know whether there's an age restriction on working for employment agencies?
macdonalds at whitebirk were advertising.
removal-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 16:29   #24
Give, give, give member

Ossy Mills always seem to be looking for staff [when l was there last week.]
lt's so big now, promotion might be possible if she likes it. l know somebody that did that there.
Wish her good luck from us all.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:05   #25
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wez
Greetings and salutations,

Just wondered if anyone knew of some companies along the lines of Express Gifts in the Accrington/Clayton area in need of staff..

My friend's 16, fresh from school, has no qualifications and little work experience. She'll do anything that pays basically but she's struggling to find anywhere willing to hire her.

Any suggestions you can put forward would be greatly appreciated!

Thankyou please

...on a side note, does anyone know whether there's an age restriction on working for employment agencies?
any male youths looking for casual? healthy exercise carring furniture etc. see my thread in vacancies.
removal-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:02   #26

the best place to go and she will definately get a job if there is a position go dfown to the sparth house in clayton for some waitressing and just say that you have had some experence in a restaurant that isnt there any more say it closed for some treason or other so she cant get a reference i suggest if she hasnt got any qualifications and work experience that she blags her way into jobs thats how i did it and then learn on the job
johnlove,ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 17:11   #27
Senior Member+

lidl! aldi! looking for jobs and look round accrington town centre aswell, umm sports centre????, a pub??? just a few, !
fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:57   #28

Ain't no jobs in jobcentres !!! - and I'm being realistic about that - thats for all the crap jobs that can't be filled - Best advice is go knocking on doors

Imagine you're a company boss and you've a job to fill, what do you do?? -

Do you give the jobcentre a ring and hope the little scroat (who really wants to play his playstation all day) bothers to turn up for work or do you give that young lad or lass that came round the other week a call.

At least he/she could be bothered to get off their arse and come looking for work - showed initiative that !! - somebody that really, really wants to work !!

If it was you doing the hiring - which one would you take on - the jobcentre candidate or the one actively looking for work - doesn't take much thought - I know which one I'd rather have

Suggest that she makes a few copies of her cv and she begins systematically going round all the industrial sites that there are around now and call in at each of the factories/units etc - if they've got nothing now - ask if he/she could leave their cv with them for any future vacancies

Ok - it involves time and legwork but if he/she really wants a job then it will pay off

I'm giving the same advice I gave my son who at the age of 18, when Rists closed, was bemoaning the fact that "he'd have no chance of getting work with so many looking for work" - he took the advice, and within 2 weeks had got a job at a firm on the Altham Ind Est, and now 6 yrs later he is a supervisor there
mickmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 13:12   #29
Senior Member+

" Ain't no jobs in jobcentres !!! - and I'm being realistic about that "

that has to be the most idiotic thing I have ever read on this forum....are you seriously telling me there arent any worthwhile jobs in the job centre ?
if you are then you must living in cuckoo land...
I am sorry if I sound harsh buts laughable to be honest....I understand what your saying about no hopers turning up for interviews that the job centre have sent and that the best jobs are the ones not advertised but to say what you said is ridiculous, I got my last job and my current one from the jobcentre web site and its ace I have to say, - the difference is that if your qualified and have experience in your field etc then you will get a job no bother however you may have no work experience at all, struggled to get even part time work, have no qualifications, cant drive or whatever, have nada, nothing - then you may find it hard to get something if anything....and in that respect the job centre wont have anything for you...is that why you say it in the frist place...
if someones that desperate to work they will get a job no problem - if someones happy to lie in bed all day and collect their giro then they will amount to nothing...the workers will work and the doleys will waste their life away..
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2006, 18:11   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmc
Ain't no jobs in jobcentres !!! - and I'm being realistic about that - thats for all the crap jobs that can't be filled - Best advice is go knocking on doors

Imagine you're a company boss and you've a job to fill, what do you do?? -

Do you give the jobcentre a ring and hope the little scroat (who really wants to play his playstation all day) bothers to turn up for work or do you give that young lad or lass that came round the other week a call.

At least he/she could be bothered to get off their arse and come looking for work - showed initiative that !! - somebody that really, really wants to work !!

If it was you doing the hiring - which one would you take on - the jobcentre candidate or the one actively looking for work - doesn't take much thought - I know which one I'd rather have

Suggest that she makes a few copies of her cv and she begins systematically going round all the industrial sites that there are around now and call in at each of the factories/units etc - if they've got nothing now - ask if he/she could leave their cv with them for any future vacancies

Ok - it involves time and legwork but if he/she really wants a job then it will pay off

I'm giving the same advice I gave my son who at the age of 18, when Rists closed, was bemoaning the fact that "he'd have no chance of getting work with so many looking for work" - he took the advice, and within 2 weeks had got a job at a firm on the Altham Ind Est, and now 6 yrs later he is a supervisor there
But the "little scroat" has gone to the jobcentre so has he not got off hes arse to look for a job???

how do you know the "little scroat" isnt already employed just looking for a better job for 1 reason or another?

Confused!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..