Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Today in pictures (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/today-in-pictures-61576.html)

gpick24 23-03-2014 17:15

Re: Today in pictures

10 Attachment(s)
A new walk for us, over to rishton, Cutwood Park, then across the fields to Wolfendens and back along canal. (I`ll have a guess at the birds)

1. Not been this way before.
2. A blackheaded gull?
3. An agitated horse.
4. Looking a bit gloomy over there.
5. A Starling?
6. A thirsty duck.
7-9. The fairy caves (Coke Ovens)
10. Canadian Geese.

maxthecollie 23-03-2014 17:28

Cracking shot of the starling, it looks like it has had it's beak in the soil looking for worms.

gpick24 23-03-2014 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1099253)
Cracking shot of the starling, it looks like it has had it's beak in the soil looking for worms.

Thanks, it let me get quite close before it flew away.

Gremlin 23-03-2014 18:16

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1099238)
Russell, I would offer, but I would have to get the iron out to get rid of the wrinkles :D
Either that or wear a burkha!

I will spare you the embarrassment Margaret, I found a model who keeps still.

I took the other photo after visiting June's grave to change the flowers.

I really like the little lens, it's something I haven't used for a long time.

It's what they call "A nifty fifty" because it's a handy size and 50mm focal length.

Turtle 23-03-2014 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 1099223)
Lovely photos all again after another quick catch-up. Still no internet here - a technician came after a 4 month wait last week to say we are too far away from the nearest exchange. Am poaching neighbour's connection and like him will now have to go for an antenna/ariel thing on the roof and satellite connection! Wish I hadn't had to wait so long to find out.... Big Sigh! o.O
A spring walk earlier this week when the weather was glorious from behind our farm through the countryside to the village of Costa Sant'Abramo. Weather broke yesterday -on today's walk I set out in blowy but sunny climes and ended up running home in ahead of a threatening, rumbling storm -just made it! Those pics tomorrow. :)

Gorgeous! Green grass, sunshine and blossoms :)

Turtle 23-03-2014 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1099224)

Is that a burst sticky bud in number 4?

Turtle 23-03-2014 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1099245)
A new walk for us, over to rishton, Cutwood Park, then across the fields to Wolfendens and back along canal. (I`ll have a guess at the birds)

2. A blackheaded gull?
3. An agitated horse.
5. A Starling?
6. A thirsty duck.
10. Canadian Geese.

That horse does not look amused! His left eye is very wild looking.
Great shot of the starling. They're quite beautiful up close.
I've got a pair of geese like that that've been sat under my bird feeder all winter. They're not seed eaters normally, but they've been desperate for food with the awful weather we've had over here.

gpick24 23-03-2014 20:44

Today in pictures

The horse was very unhappy, even before we got close he was stamping his hooves and rearing up. Calmed down shortly after when someone came from the barn and took him for a walk down the lane.

Eric 23-03-2014 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtle (Post 1099286)
Gorgeous! Green grass, sunshine and blossoms :)

Don't encourage them. Those wimps wouldn't know what a real winter is, even if one ran up and bit them in the ass.;)

davemac 23-03-2014 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtle (Post 1099187)
Oh you intrepid photographer, you! Makes me feel like a wimp. Hail stones are not for the faint of heart. Great shots, especially the ruins. Where abouts were you?

Altham Lane, I did intend just to walk along the canal toward the boat yard, but I spied those ruins, and well, I was just giddy with excitement, and into the ruins we went. It looked like a little farming hamlet, with a cart track up to it and buildings dotted around the track. It made me wonder what it would have been like when it was fully farmed. Its just on the elbow of the canal.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.7799.../data=!3m1!1e3

there are a couple more ruins further around the canal that I have mooched around before, but I think its time for a fresh mooch sometime soon.

davemac 23-03-2014 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 1099223)
Lovely photos all again after another quick catch-up. Still no internet here - a technician came after a 4 month wait last week to say we are too far away from the nearest exchange. Am poaching neighbour's connection and like him will now have to go for an antenna/ariel thing on the roof and satellite connection! Wish I hadn't had to wait so long to find out.... Big Sigh! o.O
A spring walk earlier this week when the weather was glorious from behind our farm through the countryside to the village of Costa Sant'Abramo. Weather broke yesterday -on today's walk I set out in blowy but sunny climes and ended up running home in ahead of a threatening, rumbling storm -just made it! Those pics tomorrow. :)

Its time you got it sorted, we are missing your input, especially now your countryside is starting to colour up. I don't know how you have managed for 4 months, I get tetchy if its off for a few hours.

davemac 23-03-2014 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1099224)

A walk I have done many times, although not recently, if you had walked the other way you would have come across the ruins from yesterday.

davemac 23-03-2014 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1099245)

2. A blackheaded gull?
3. An agitated horse.
5. A Starling?
6. A thirsty duck.
10. Canadian Geese.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1099253)

I agree with Frank, the starling is tack sharp, the coke ovens are an interesting mooch around, if you look inside the ovens you will see how the bricks have melted due to the high temperatures. Its a shame they are vanishing before our eyes.

davemac 23-03-2014 22:26

10 Attachment(s)
Today in Pictures, what should have been a short walk turned into almost three hours, and for part of it on all fours.

1. Start point, entrance to Huncoat Colliery site.
2. & 3. The Pussy Willows are spreading pollen.
4. You know what happens if you pick this, moist gusset, I pick them a lot.
5. Guess what I bought.
6.I think the water used to flow over the brickwork until it worked its way under.
7. Notice the steep sides down to the water, when its wet its very slippery, and its wet.
8. The whole side is covered in bluebells, made a note to come back in a few weeks.
9. yes, you guessed, a set of graduated filters.
10. And finally, Coltsfoot with a wickthing.

maxthecollie 23-03-2014 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtle (Post 1099287)
Is that a burst sticky bud in number 4?

Yes