Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2004, 08:11   #1
Resident Waffler

Accrington this week

Just a few views from roughly the same spot in the town centre.

Just look at that black cloud!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phoenix plus Accy centre 002a.JPG (77.2 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg Phoenix plus Accy centre 003a.JPG (73.4 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg Phoenix plus Accy centre 004a.JPG (79.7 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg Phoenix plus Accy centre 005a.JPG (80.1 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg Phoenix plus Accy centre 006a.JPG (88.7 KB, 169 views)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-10-2004, 14:10   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Accrington this week

What a great idea once a week views of Accy, in a few years you will be able to see the changes wish I had thought about it 3oyrs ago.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 15:34   #3
Member.

Well done Willow. When you see accy in this kind of light, it not a bad looking place is it?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 17:03   #4
Senior Member+

Accrington this week

Nice photos!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:53   #5

The clouds look lovely...just as I remember it!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 09:53   #6

Willow. Could you please tell me where these streets are on these pics. I have the distinct feeling that if I were to be suddenly deported from here and dumped in the middle of Accy during the night, and not knowing where I was, I would be spending the whole of the next day knocking on peoples doors and asking where Accy was. It is totally ALIEN. It's not Accy. It's a conspiracy. They are all fake photo's.

Seriously, is that the coppice in the background of one of the pics? Looks like an Amazon jungle.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 10:19   #7
Resident Waffler

Photo One is Warner Street - that red brick building is the end of the Arcade.
Photo Two is looking down Peel Street at what is now left of the bus station with what HBC refer to as "the new market development" hidden behind it and a hideous new building on the old market site which houses a few little shops and a Wilkinson's supermarket.
Photo Three - I did an about turn and pointed my lens up Avenue Parade and that is indeed the poor old coppoce covered in alien vegetation (nasty little trees) which totally spoils the whole appearance and completely obliterates the familiar old "eagle"
Photo Four is from the same spot but this time looking up Whalley Road.
Photo Five is the top end of Peel Street - the buildings are more or less what were there in the 60s but the Blackburn Trustee savings Bank is now Lloyds TSB and many years ago it expanded into the next shop.(where you see the scaffolding)

Pleck Road has more or less disappeared now - at the Peel Street end are gates which now lead round to the back of the new and old shops and these are kept locked.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 10:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry
Willow. Could you please tell me where these streets are on these pics. I have the distinct feeling that if I were to be suddenly deported from here and dumped in the middle of Accy during the night, and not knowing where I was, I would be spending the whole of the next day knocking on peoples doors and asking where Accy was. It is totally ALIEN. It's not Accy. It's a conspiracy. They are all fake photo's.

Seriously, is that the coppice in the background of one of the pics? Looks like an Amazon jungle.
Yes that's right Terry...totally Alien....But that's progress
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 10:43   #9

Willow. In reference to the shot looking up Whalley Rd. Is that the railway bridge in the far distance. My uncle David Martin lived in the top house on the right next to the bridge for a long time. 'Till about 91 or so. He is now deceased. There is/was a sort of lime pit thingy under the bridge. Still There?

Avenue Parade. What can I say. Not what I remember. The others are totally unrecognisble . Thanks for the info though. I remember Peel St. Is that where the Ribble busus left from to Whalley and Gt.Harwood?
Old 03-12-2004, 14:48   #10

Sorry my mistake. Melbourne st was the Ribble buses. Can anyone remember at the Burnley rd end of Melbourne St. a toy shop come news agency in Burnley rd on the opposite side. I used to buy all my wessex fireworks there. Can anyone recall a huge thermometer on the wall of the shop showing the temp in F. I remember at the top it had a mark that said 'blood heat' I used to think it'll never get that hot
Old 03-12-2004, 20:54   #11

Great photos Willow, Used to go out with a girl who lived in the first house on the other side of the railway bridge, on the right hand side. Is it still there, I spent a lot of time there.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:18   #12

Now I know what's different about Accy. It used to be in black and white. Black buildings white sky. Now it's in glorious technicolor.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:42   #13
Resting in Peace

These where taken a while ago but i thought you might like them anyway
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACCRINGTON TOWN.jpg (47.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg ARNDALE.jpg (57.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg GRAMMER SCHOOL1.jpg (81.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg New market.jpg (59.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg THE CASTLE PUB.jpg (60.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Whalley road.jpg (54.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (70.3 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by Mick; 04-12-2004 at 08:44.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 08:53   #14
Len
God Member

Hey mick, what did you do with all the people in some of those pics?. hehe
It's like a ghost town.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 08:56   #15
Junior Member+

He got up early
MutinousMuse2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..