Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-11-2004, 14:13   #1
Senior Member+

Felling of trees

Was in town early this morning and came across this scene when I was near St James Church, across from the library
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StJamesdemolitionnov04_resize.JPG (95.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg StJamesdemolitionnov04a_resize.JPG (84.1 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg StJamesdemolitionnov04b_resize.JPG (96.3 KB, 66 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-11-2004, 15:44   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Felling of trees

How many were felled Atarah? Did you ask them why they were doing it? Were the trees dangerous or diseased?

We noticed in passing (actually we had intended to go along Holme Street but it was closed) but we were in a hurry and didn't have time to stop. Busman had to get back to work and I was trying to fit in a quick trip to Argos before he did.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2004, 16:12   #3
God Member

Is it something to do with that new fungal infection? A while back the council said they were going to have to spend a packet on felling trees to stop it spreading. Or are the Cab Drivers complaining about the leaves?
Old 24-11-2004, 16:12   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Something similar was done there a few years ago, one of the trees had become dangerous, it was about the same time that they had to close the church because of dry rot, that year they had to hold the November memorial service further up the road.

If you look at the middle photo the tree does look a touch rotten.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2004, 16:21   #5
Resident Waffler

Now you come to mention it I can see the dark shadows.

It's a good job you weren't around there Less - a stray splinter could have caught you unawares.

Old 24-11-2004, 16:49   #6
Member.

I'm a tree lover and I hate to see this happening.....If there's a Health and Safety issue or a risk of loss of other tree's through infection then fine, we have to understand....but I do hope that HBC are planning to replant reasonable sized trees as replacements...........and afford an high degree of protection for then was in.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2004, 17:02   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
I'm a tree lover and I hate to see this happening.....If there's a Health and Safety issue or a risk of loss of other tree's through infection then fine, we have to understand....but I do hope that HBC are planning to replant reasonable sized trees as replacements...........and afford an high degree of protection for then was in.
You won't see this very often but, in HBC'S defence Is the planting of trees in a Church yard actually their responsibility?
Old 24-11-2004, 17:04   #8
Member.

Good point..........

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 25-11-2004, 07:20   #9
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

There was a case in the observer about a year ago where an old school friend of mine was attacked on a night out in this area. The CCTV couldn't pick up footage of the attackers because the trees were in the way. I hate seeing trees being cut down and hope that if they are not replaced at St. James they are replaced elsewhere. If replacing trees in a church yard isn't HBC's responsibility, then is it their responsibility to cut them down in the first place?

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 08:26   #10
Senior Member+

Better point....
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 08:55   #11
God Member

If the CCTV cameras cannot see that area then it would seem logical to put them in a position where they can see. To my way of thinking, destoying part of the visual amenity to accomplish the same end seems a cack-handed way of approaching the problem. How very HBC!
Old 25-11-2004, 09:32   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
If replacing trees in a church yard isn't HBC's responsibility, then is it their responsibility to cut them down in the first place?
No doubt after being the good people they are HBC will be sending the Bill to the Church of England, let's face it they are one of the larger land-owners in the country, they own most of Soho in London for example.
Old 28-11-2004, 21:56   #13
Resident Waffler

The tree was diseased. Only one tree was felled and as you can see from the photos of the stump, the trunk was in danger of splitting in half.

There was a notice on a nearby pole giving advance warning that the road would be closed whilst the work took place and explaining that the tree needed to be felled because it was diseased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tree_graffitti 001a.JPG (18.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg tree_graffitti 003a.JPG (19.4 KB, 33 views)

Old 28-11-2004, 22:12   #14
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
The tree was diseased. Only one tree was felled and as you can see from the photos of the stump, the trunk was in danger of splitting in half.

There was a notice on a nearby pole giving advance warning that the road would be closed whilst the work took place and explaining that the tree needed to be felled because it was diseased.
Thanks willow, nice to have this one cleared up......Any idea of any plans to replant.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 29-11-2004, 07:00   #15
Resident Waffler

No reference to any plans on the notice - but it was mainly there to explain the reason for the road closure.

Maybe we could ask on the Hyndburnlife site.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..