Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2004, 13:01   #1
Senior Member+

Guessing time again

Hi folks, well...what do you think?
Photo kindly taken by Owd Bert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quiz.JPG (43.7 KB, 130 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-02-2004, 13:23   #2
God Member

Intriguing

A glass display cabinet........white gloves.......a wooden box with some undecipherable letters on the side.....and what appears to be an Accy Corporation Transport bus conductors ticket macine on top. What the connection is, I have'nt a clue.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2004, 14:14   #3
Caz
God Member

Is it anyhing to do with the last tram?
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2004, 14:27   #4
Senior Member+

Could it be the last ticket machine to be used before the bus service changed to O.M.O.
Old 16-02-2004, 14:30   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
My dad had a box just like it when I was a kid. He kept bags of loose change in it, and took it with him to work every day. It was a battered looking old thing and quite heavy when it was full. He's a bus driver by the way.
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2004, 15:05   #6
God Member

What happened...

to the strap for going over the shoulder & the handle to wind the ticket round?
Old 16-02-2004, 16:19   #7
Resting In Peace

These machines were still in use on a purposely made base unit on One Man Operated buses until 1985, then they were replaced by the Timtronic system, in reply to Tealeaf's observation, the handle has been removed to enable the machine to be secured on the base unit and the straps removed as the machine was not worn on the drivers body...
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2004, 16:27   #8
God Member

machines.......

...they must have been updated versions...the one in the piccy has fares from 2d to 11d on the dial. I think machine above is a 1950's model.
Old 16-02-2004, 17:09   #9
Resting In Peace

There were no upated versions to keep up with decimalisation, not at Accrington anyway. If you look closely you will see that the 11d hole has been blocked so the operator cannot dial it by mistake, in fact that machine is identical to the one I was issued with when I was on Accrington buses from 1973 to 1993, but as I previously stated the machines were changed to Timtronic to accomodate the fare rises. The lever above the dial was marked 10,20,30,40, and we had to issue a combination of tickets if the fare was above 50p..
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 07:11   #10
Senior Member+

Ticket machine

Hi, thanks for all that info Ernie.
It is just a photo of an old, Accrington used, ticket machine Tealeaf.
It been "saved" and is still in a collection in Accrington.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 07:47   #11

My mum use to have one of those .She even hit some guy with it one time when he tried to steal her money bag. Funny thing the cops watched her do it
Angel 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 23:55   #12

I forgot my dad more than likely used one as well before he left there and went to Holland Pies.
Angel 04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..