Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2004, 11:29   #1
Senior Member+

Guessing time - what and where?

I might kick myself for this one, it may be far too easy for some of you. But ... we will see how good you all are"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quiz.JPG (97.5 KB, 177 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-02-2004, 11:46   #2
Resting In Peace

That's the old Empire Cinema on Edgar Street
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 12:16   #3
God Member

.....Except those of a later generation (i.e. me) remember it as the Princess pictures/fleapit. It must be 30 years ago since it closed.....now a bathroom sales centre, I believe. And was it not the first purpose built cinema in Accy?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 14:33   #4
Senior Member+

I remember going there sat mornings. What about the one next door that burnt down, the Prince's. ( i think )
Old 09-02-2004, 15:51   #5

The fire at the Princess Theatre,built in 1882, was in November 1964. At the time the old Empire Cinema was being used as a Bingo Hall. Bingo was transferred to the old Co-Op premises on Blackburn Road as "Empire Bingo" and the vacated premises in Edgar St re-opened as the "New Princess Cinema" in Feb 1965.
I well remember in the late 1930s the absolute chaos in and around Edgar St at the time of the "second house" which was about quarter to nine. People waiting to go in had to contend with the "first house" audiences coming out of both Cinemas. What a shambles.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 06:43   #6

Yes.... the Empire on Edgar Street. I use to go into the toffee shop directly across from the entrance. 2 oz of treacle toffee, 2 oz of wine gumīs (I was anybody's for 2 oz of wine gums), then into the first house.......................Bliss
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 22:59   #7
Senior Member+

Empire cinema and toffee shop

Hi, here's a lovely old view, showing a toffee shop next to the cinema also. Times change, and not always for the best. The toffee shop is now a "naughty" shop!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cinema.JPG (76.3 KB, 126 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2004, 08:12   #8

I'd almost forgotten the "top" toffee shop. Nice one Atarah, shows how easy it is to forget such little gems. Nice piccy too.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..