Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2004, 14:33   #61

Re: Mary's Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
I don't know about anybody else, but I love Darby's and Terry's reminiscences of life in 50's Accy. I was only a nipper at the time and it's all a revelation to me. In fact, I sometimes think I would have been really happy as a teenager in this era. I can just imagine myself donning my drape on Saturday morning, nipping down to the Co-op to buy the latest Little Richard album, off to the Spiders Web for a quick coffee, then onto a nice red-and-blue open-platform corporation bus for the short trip to Peel Park to watch Stanley play a thrilling third division North top-of-the-table battle, then it's off to Mort's in the evening for a night of jiving.

Can I have some more material to fuel my fantasies please, lads?
I'll try to find some more memories for you W-H, but I need to lie down first. All this talk about pubs and nights out is going to mi 'ed!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-12-2004, 15:44   #62
Resident Waffler

I'm enjoying it too, it's just a little bit before my time.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 15:51   #63

Same for me. I have to kick start the old brain often.Still tons of memories there. Perhaps you would like my post in "Band,Music :- Accrington poets thread. Its pure sentimentalism on my part
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005, 14:39   #64
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Was it a clothes shop at one stage? Or am I imagining things again?

I can also remember this shop being a clothes shop. Mary,moved furthur along the block, into which was the old animal magic shop(i thinks).
joanne25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005, 14:43   #65
Junior Member+

Can anyone remember a music shop which was situated on the corner of little blackburn rd and abbey st,opposite canine club. I cant think what the shop was called,surely someone here will know.
joanne25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005, 15:47   #66
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Wink Re: Mary's Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanne25
Can anyone remember a music shop which was situated on the corner of little blackburn rd and abbey st,opposite canine club. I cant think what the shop was called,surely someone here will know.
think it was disc and tape joanne.
Old 16-08-2005, 20:00   #67
God Member

Yeah, I think it was Disc and Tape too.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2005, 20:24   #68
Full Member+

You`re right It was the Disc`n`Tape. Originally just round the corner where the sunbed place is, it started by selling second hand records and was owned by Mike Levine. In `80`s it was taken over by Colin Briggs who inherited me as part of the assets. Most people think I worked there, but I just spent my youth leaning on the counter. We had a number of celebs pop in, including Kevin Rowland, The Alarms Mike Peters, Transvision Vamps Wendy James and the singing gardener Kim Wilde. It was also a frequent haunt of Accy Webs Gayle Knight in her "Boy George" years!!
Old 16-08-2005, 22:43   #69
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Talking Re: Mary's Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Mick
You`re right It was the Disc`n`Tape. Originally just round the corner where the sunbed place is, it started by selling second hand records and was owned by Mike Levine. In `80`s it was taken over by Colin Briggs who inherited me as part of the assets. Most people think I worked there, but I just spent my youth leaning on the counter. We had a number of celebs pop in, including Kevin Rowland, The Alarms Mike Peters, Transvision Vamps Wendy James and the singing gardener Kim Wilde. It was also a frequent haunt of Accy Webs Gayle Knight in her "Boy George" years!!
fell out with you mate where am i? in your list of celebs !
Old 16-08-2005, 22:51   #70

Prior to being a tattoo shop the corner shop was renovated after being empty for some time & was a hairdressers for a year or two. Knew Marys two great nephews, Louis who has his own plumbing business in town & Mick who lives out at Barnoldswick now. Their dad Alan used to act as a bouncer at Morts dance hall on Blackburn Rd when he was home on leave from army. Understand Mary died from cancer but kept a well stocked shop that would put Virgin & co to shame today.
Old 17-08-2005, 08:03   #71
Super Moderator

Mary's was the best record shop in town (and there was some pretty stiff competition from the likes of Bandbox, Tony's and later, Marshall's). No matter how obscure the record was (and I asked for some pretty obscure ones, believe me!), she would look it up on her release sheets, order it and it would be there in a couple of days.
Old 17-08-2005, 21:43   #72
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Wink Re: Mary's Music

Quote:
Mary's was the best record shop in town (and there was some pretty stiff competition from the likes of Bandbox, Tony's and later, Marshall's). No matter how obscure the record was (and I asked for some pretty obscure ones, believe me!), she would look it up on her release sheets, order it and it would be there in a couple of days.
disagree on that one wyn the first record i ever bought was twilight time and it got destroyed, mary tried to get it me for about 6 months-no joy said it wasnt even available on old gold, in desparation i walked on the block and tried marshalls for the first time, she took my details said i,m not promising but leave it with me= 4/5 weeks later she popped a note in my home and it was there.couldnt believe it,i still have that single to this day, so that became my new record shop.
Old 18-08-2005, 10:49   #73
Super Moderator

Must admit I found the woman in Marshalls a bit pushy - always trying to sell you something. Still, she obviously, did the trick for you (the original version by the Platters I assume?). The staff in the Golden Disc Bar on Broadway were the complete opposite. You could listen to records in the booths for ages, without being asked to buy anything. No wonder it didn't last long!
Old 19-08-2005, 21:10   #74
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Must admit I found the woman in Marshalls a bit pushy - always trying to sell you something. Still, she obviously, did the trick for you (the original version by the Platters I assume?). The staff in the Golden Disc Bar on Broadway were the complete opposite. You could listen to records in the booths for ages, without being asked to buy anything. No wonder it didn't last long!
you assume correctly still play it occasionally.
Old 19-08-2005, 23:51   #75

Went passed today and the shop is now Rossendale Carpets. I'll bet they struggle to get them in and out that door.
jpest1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..