Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-10-2004, 14:14   #1
God Member

Mary's Music

Here's one for the slightly senior generation. Can you remember this shop as it was, before it became a tattoo emporium? Any interesting stories to share?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mary's music2.jpg (92.7 KB, 264 views)

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 14-10-2004 at 15:23.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-10-2004, 14:26   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Mary's Music

I used to like the sign round the back made from what appeared to be giant sequins which would flutter when caught by a breaze so the whole sign glittered.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2004, 22:56   #3

dosnt look as though its had a coat of paint since Mary had it. The whole row looks in bad shape. Is the church sill standing accross the road, I think they had some kind of youth club there in the 60s. Bought some of my first records from Mary's.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 06:56   #4
Resident Waffler

I think the vets now stands on the site where the church used to be, Kenyon St.

Old 15-10-2004, 07:39   #5

Marys music run by Mary Mortimer and assisted by her husband Joe (of Joe Morts Fame). Joe and use to go into the Con Club on Cannon St., he once asked me to join teh Cons and stand for the council, he said they needed young blood!!

Once in the shop Mary caught a lad trying to steal a 45 EP, Joe came across, smacked the lad at the back of the head and told him never to come into the shop again. Joe was brave, because he had the shop full of Teds that use to go in the Morts, and they looked threatening at the lad(I won't name him on this site or any other for that matter).

Instant Punishment...it worked as that lad (to my knowledge) never stole anything again!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 07:42   #6
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby
Instant Punishment...it worked as that lad (to my knowledge) never stole anything again!
Thanks Darby - that was the point I was trying to make when I managed to convince Kipax that I'm a danger to children.

Old 15-10-2004, 08:03   #7
Super Moderator

Mary's was the best record shop in Accy. You could ask for the most obscure record (and I asked for some pretty obscure ones, believe me!) and Mary would order it and have it ready and waiting for you in a couple of days. She had some pretty stiff competition in those days, too. Marshalls, further up on the same block for a start. Then there was Wiseman's Golden Disc Bar on Broadway. The main attraction here was the "never-never" club enabling you to buy an LP and then pay it off at a couple of bob a week. Moving over to Blackburn Road, we had Bandbox opposite the market hall with a great selection of sale items. I once chanced my arm on a 45 by Davy Jones & the King Bees for 1/6. It was naff so I chucked it. Turned out it was David Bowie's first ever record and it's now worth around £900. Then there was Tony's further on Blackburn Road opposite the bottom of Paxton Street and probably lots more places I've forgotten. Whatever happened to all the record shops in town?
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 08:27   #8

Ah but those were the good old days. Do you remember when you could go in a record shop and ask to hear the album before you parted with your hard-saved cash?
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 10:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Thanks Darby - that was the point I was trying to make when I managed to convince Kipax that I'm a danger to children.
Off topic I know...But you are wasting yer time there Lass
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 14:53   #10
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobsmacked
Ah but those were the good old days. Do you remember when you could go in a record shop and ask to hear the album before you parted with your hard-saved cash?
Yep! Spent many a Saturday afternoon sampling tracks before buying.

Darby - at least I know I'm not on my own.

Old 16-10-2004, 21:41   #11
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

It was a hairdressers but I get the feeling you want something earlier?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2004, 22:10   #12
Resident Waffler

Was it a clothes shop at one stage? Or am I imagining things again?

Old 16-10-2004, 22:17   #13
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I might be on the wrong corner but I thought it might have sold womens underwear at some stage.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2004, 22:23   #14
Resident Waffler

I remember "Mary's" moved from the corner to the shop further along the block. (Was it the one that had previously been Marshall's?)

I think Arnold then took the corner shop but can't remember what he sold there (same Arnold who had the chippie on the other corner which is now Orient Express)

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 16-10-2004 at 22:24. Reason: My typing is terrible tonight!
Old 16-10-2004, 23:39   #15
I am Banned

The Vets is situated where Mole St was on the next corner, opposite Britcliffe Row.
Retlaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I think the vets now stands on the site where the church used to be, Kenyon St.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..